• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

yep, it's that thread- amd back on form?

Soldato
yep, that thread.....

short version is, ram's dying and given it's a 6 year old bulldozer rig it's probably time for an upgrade.

so, thinking of upgrading, thing is i haven't really been paying attention, so have amd clawed their way back to success or am i right to be wary of getting another 8 core amd chip? :D

my benchmark would be a 6800k broadwell e, so i guess the equivalent would be the 1700x or one of intel's other lineups? will be paired to whatever upper mid range asus motherboard is available (maximus hero/sabertooth) plus 32gb of ram and maybe an m.2ssd

secondary question- currently running a k2 for cooling, will this fit the new intel/amd mobo's or will i be needing to replace that too?

Associate
AMD is certainly back in the game, but Ryzen has teething problems. If you're prepared to immediately update your BIOS as soon as you get the motherboard and keep watching threads on various forums of the board you've got to keep up with information on what overclock settings work well with which BIOS, how to get your RAM to work with anything greater than 2100 MHz or how to avoid a cold-boot bug where all the overclock settings get reset to default, then it's a great processor. In short, you have to buy expensive RAM in order to be guaranteed to reach a decent clock, i.e. Samsung B-die RAM. Retailers know this, hence the silly prices.

This is just my opinion, but you may as well just stick with the 1700 rather than the 1700x.

Soldato
OP
Those sound a bit more than the usual "teething problems", or at least as far as i'd call it.

Is the end result worth it over a 7800x offering? Because if the difference is just a few frames on a benchmark i'd be tempted to save the hassle and go intel given basically anything is going to be a massive jump from bulldozer.

Associate
For your K2 CPU cooler you'd need to get an AM4 bracket to mount it properly on Ryzen.

What are you intending to use your PC for? mainly gaming, productivity or a mix of both?

And yes AMD certainly has some really nice CPUs out. There is once again proper competition in the CPU market.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Its principally a gaming rig but also serves time doing the odd bit of rendering/fea/cad work, yes it might get locked up running full bore for several days at a time but not really a specific requirement to have a ton of cores.

In terms of ram i'll be wanting to go 32gb, not fussed on speed so much as budget for the ram.

It likely wont be getting overclocked for a while, and even then it'll just be a light affair as stability is important.

Associate
Its principally a gaming rig but also serves time doing the odd bit of rendering/fea/cad work.

In terms of ram i'll be wanting to go 32gb, not fussed on speed so much as budget for the ram.

It likely wont be getting overclocked for a while, and even then it'll just be a light affair as stability is important.
So you need a CPU + motherboard + RAM? A new GPU aswell?

What's your budget?

Soldato
OP

What's your budget?

Will be sticking with current gpu, it's massively cpu bottlenecked atm and i can live with it for a while yet.

Looking at cpu+mobo(i'm an asus fanboi, so itll be whatever board is a few pegs down from their top of the line)+ram+probably an m.2ssd

Budget wise i havent really specified a limit but ideally wouldnt want to be going much further north of 1k

Man of Honour
Is the end result worth it over a 7800x offering?

Skylake-X is not exactly the most inspiring gaming performance for what the CPU is. Though given my blend of usage at the moment I'd have to take a long hard look at the 7820X despite that if I was upgrading today :s

Associate
AMD is certainly back in the game, but Ryzen has teething problems. If you're prepared to immediately update your BIOS as soon as you get the motherboard and keep watching threads on various forums of the board you've got to keep up with information on what overclock settings work well with which BIOS, how to get your RAM to work with anything greater than 2100 MHz or how to avoid a cold-boot bug where all the overclock settings get reset to default, then it's a great processor. In short, you have to buy expensive RAM in order to be guaranteed to reach a decent clock, i.e. Samsung B-die RAM. Retailers know this, hence the silly prices.

This is just my opinion, but you may as well just stick with the 1700 rather than the 1700x.
Or get one of the many boards that are in good shape, update bios once, set your speed & timings and leave it at that. Yes, it gains from Samsung b-die but other RAM works well and the platform as a whole is plenty cheap to allow the RAM expense and still be the value option.

Not saying there have been no issues but reading your post it sounds like it's way worse than it really is - used to read similar statements about AMD graphics drivers back in the PR war days that were just as misleading.

Soldato
yep, that thread.....

short version is, ram's dying and given it's a 6 year old bulldozer rig it's probably time for an upgrade.

so, thinking of upgrading, thing is i haven't really been paying attention, so have amd clawed their way back to success or am i right to be wary of getting another 8 core amd chip? :D

my benchmark would be a 6800k broadwell e, so i guess the equivalent would be the 1700x or one of intel's other lineups? will be paired to whatever upper mid range asus motherboard is available (maximus hero/sabertooth) plus 32gb of ram and maybe an m.2ssd

secondary question- currently running a k2 for cooling, will this fit the new intel/amd mobo's or will i be needing to replace that too?

6800K is 6 core CPU not 8 core CPU. 1700X is faster on this.

You need one of the Asus B350-F, X370-F, Crosshair VI Hero. They are great boards, supported actively by Asus, and especially their guys at OCNET.
Check for compatible Ram on the corresponding motherboard documentation (found at their websites). However the Gskil FlareX 3200 is good RAM. 3466 and 3600C with good overclocking skill is achievable if you have 3600C16 kit, but 3200Mhz is what most would take atm. (but you need mobo with BLK overclocking so CH6).

Ryzen performance is related to ram speed and subtimings. Have a look here.

https://community.amd.com/community...emory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-timings
and here
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-amd-ryzen,5011-8.html

As mentioned above, the first thing you need to do with your motherboard is upgrade the bios, and do a clean installation of windows.

SkylakeX. Due to architectural changes, less cache and usage of Mesh, is not the best platform for gaming. The 7800X is of similar gaming performance to Ryzen 5 1600X, and the 7820X ain't that better either.
The only CPU that worth on this lineup is the 7900X and above, but you must pair them with 4133Mhz ram to perform, as Mesh is directly related to ram speed.
And you wont see much difference given the expense.

What's your GPU?

What's your budget?
Upgrading from Buldrozer, yeah he needs Ram. DDR3 doesn't work on DDR4 boards :)

Soldato
Soldato
If you go ryzen, spend the right money on ram. 8pack does some pre clocked stuff that guarantees clock no matter what board. Opt for that and you’ll be laughing.

I went from an ivy i7 to a 1700x and am quite happy with the move.

Soldato
But what when 1440p/4K becomes the new 1080p?

I thought you AMD boys were forward thinking ;)

You see, Intel zealots like yourself, are the ones who drop completely logical arguments to the swamp by calling anyone with logical argument "AMD Fanboy", instead of trying to argue logically against is.
Find where my statement was flawed.
Or Z370, a dead platform in 6 months, is forward thinking for you?

Soldato
You see, Intel zealots like yourself, are the ones who drop completely logical arguments to the swamp by calling anyone with logical argument "AMD Fanboy", instead of trying to argue logically against is.
Find where my statement was flawed.
Or Z370, a dead platform in 6 months, is forward thinking for you?

That dead platform will still be faster than zen refresh in gaming.

Soldato
Nope at any resolution. It just won't be so noticeable at higher resolutions but trust me it will be red at the lower half of the benchmarks as it is now.

Yeah when benching with an Nvidia card. Seems Nvidia might be a little a concerned about Ryzen gaming performance.

Back
Top Bottom