• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

yep, it's that thread- amd back on form?

Soldato
Its most likely RR and PR will come with improved RAM support,especially since an APU would benefit from higher speed RAM support for the IGP. The fact is says is a total change to the BIOS structure indicates a HUGE groundup change.

In the last few days I checked up on some builds I helped people elsewhere with,and it seems even with non B-die based sets people can get 3GHZ to 3.1GHZ reasonably OK when months ago getting to 2667MHZ was considered a victory.

wonder if vendors will find ways to increase speeds hardware wise with next chipset ...

Soldato
Emm:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31246099/

The next AGESA release is meant to implement some big changes.

To be fair, they didn't give any details about it, so we can only hope it includes improvements to memory support. But there's a possibility that Ryzen's memory controller is just not as good as it should be and no amount of fiddling with bios will ever fix it fully. That however might well be fixable with Zen 2. Still hoping that next year I can just drop a new chip in for a 5ghz octo with memory overclocked beyond 3200 :)

Soldato
wonder if vendors will find ways to increase speeds hardware wise with next chipset ...
To be fair, they didn't give any details about it, so we can only hope it includes improvements to memory support. But there's a possibility that Ryzen's memory controller is just not as good as it should be and no amount of fiddling with bios will ever fix it fully. That however might well be fixable with Zen 2. Still hoping that next year I can just drop a new chip in for a 5ghz octo with memory overclocked beyond 3200 :)

I kind of added some of my thoughts to the previous post. I think personally if they are concentrating on the next AGESA months before the chips are out,that should indicate some improvements to current users with current CPUs otherwise,they could simply just release it next year. OTH,I do also hope they don't rush it out either!!

Personally I don't think the memory controller will get beyond 3466MHZ at best(think that is probably the fastest I have seen but could be wrong),but the fixes surely must be more important for general RAM compatibility - its certainly gotten better with non B-die chips from what I am starting to see when compared to launch. For most people if they can get to around 3GHZ or a tad higher with bog standard kits,I think its enough TBF,especially with the cost of RAM too.

Permabanned
Would depend on so many other factors aswell. And if it doesn't work, potentially only 1 bios update away. Is it literally only the samsung B-die RAM that gets 3200mhz at the moment on most boards?
With 32gb yes. 4x8gb single rank samsung b best option for 32 gb.
Im on 3 ryxen oc forums and... YOU SPEND THEM MONEY ON RAM or You asking for problems.

Permabanned
Dont think we will see zen 2 in 2018. Im getting binned zen+ myself if it clocks that is

Back
Top Bottom