• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

yep, it's that thread- amd back on form?

Soldato
OP
ok, so priced up (with a slightly larger ssd which is always nice) using the same ram/ssd for the 2 baskets the 8700k comes to £80 more than the R5 1600

ryzen's plus points are more threads, upgradability (potentially), slight edge on tdp but potentially some issues with bios that'll need attention

intel's plus points are slight boost for certain games, and not being another amd chip, negative point is for the same price i could change the r5 1600 for an r7 1700 and get an extra 2 cores

must admit, i am leaning towards ryzen at this point

Soldato
CH6 board has AM3 and AM4 holes, so your K2(if you still got am3 fittings) will fit. There is also a compatible fittings you can get for few pounds.
I used a K2 on my CH6 with AM3 holes+fittings. Then got a Noctua D15SE and when I heard about the compatible fittings for K2 I got them as well because I think it is very good and looks rather nice(dare I say more than the D15).

Soldato
OP
Which RAM are you going for?

Some of the corsair 3000mhz stuff, cant remember which one but 32gb is 329, would have course be open to better value suggestions as long as its 32gb of the stuff

CH6 board has AM3 and AM4 holes, so your K2(if you still got am3 fittings) will fit. There is also a compatible fittings you can get for few pounds.
I used a K2 on my CH6 with AM3 holes+fittings. Then got a Noctua D15SE and when I heard about the compatible fittings for K2 I got them as well because I think it is very good and looks rather nice(dare I say more than the D15).

Thanks dude, thats great to know, its on am3 mount atm, not getting the ch6 but if its possible i can't see why other boards wouldnt have the old mounts as well, if not then i can use the stock cooler for a few days while i get something else sorted.

The k2's served well so far and i cant see how it could be lacking on a lower tdp chip :)

Associate
Some of the corsair 3000mhz stuff, cant remember which one but 32gb is 329, would have course be open to better value suggestions as long as its 32gb of the stuff

Thanks dude, thats great to know, its on am3 mount atm, not getting the ch6 but if its possible i can't see why other boards wouldnt have the old mounts as well, if not then i can use the stock cooler for a few days while i get something else sorted.

The k2's served well so far and i cant see how it could be lacking on a lower tdp chip :)
I can find 2x16GB of 3200mhz Corsair DDR4 LED for £306.

Soldato
ok, so priced up (with a slightly larger ssd which is always nice) using the same ram/ssd for the 2 baskets the 8700k comes to £80 more than the R5 1600

Something isn't right there then since the CPU alone for the Intel is double the price almost. What have you chosen that is different to cause that to happen, much more expensive motherboard?

Associate
With that ram You can hope getting it going at 2933 MAXIMUM on ryzen with over 1.4 volts on them. As its Dual rank and 99% chance Hynix both things that Ryzen does not like. Just so Yoou know :)

Would depend on so many other factors aswell. And if it doesn't work, potentially only 1 bios update away. Is it literally only the samsung B-die RAM that gets 3200mhz at the moment on most boards?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Something isn't right there then since the CPU alone for the Intel is double the price almost. What have you chosen that is different to cause that to happen, much more expensive motherboard?

cant remember, but it's the one of the asus strix ones priced just below the hero/sabertooth in both cases iirc

Associate
Ryzen is good. Use a good cooler expensive ram and a decent mobo. If you're not above 100hz gaming dropping from 170fps to 160 will mean nothing. It's cheaper than an equivalent performing Intel platform especially with compute in mind.
The 8700k is good. You loose 2 corse and gain 1ghz. It's better at gaming but more expensive and back order only. I'd go ryzen bit if you got a spare extra £100-200 then intel works too

Soldato
Would depend on so many other factors aswell. And if it doesn't work, potentially only 1 bios update away. Is it literally only the samsung B-die RAM that gets 3200mhz at the moment on most boards?

If you're looking for 32gb in 2x16, even b-die is iffy. I got mine to 3066 with ease; 3200 is a brick wall. I believe 8 Pack's kits are good for 4x8gb at full speed though. Using non b-die for 32gb in any config... even 2933 might be asking too much.

It's possible that a bios update will improve performance of Hynix memory, but we've had one major AGESA release already and not much talk of another. What we have now might be as good as it's going to get; certainly wouldn't recommend buying on the assumption that it will be fixed "soon".

Must admit, if I'd waited for Coffeelake I might have dumped the extra cash on one over my 1600X... I'm not unhappy with the speed of this cpu, it's genuinely really good, but I'm aware that I could have had better single thread performance than I have, even if what I have is enough :rolleyes: But Zen 2 might improve the clock speed within 12 months, and if so I'll move to 8 cores at the same time. The chances of Intel releasing a 5ghz mainstream octo seem slim, and even less likely is that it would drop into today's motherboards if they do. No crystal ball needed to see that Intel do not care about upgrade paths :)

Soldato
It's possible that a bios update will improve performance of Hynix memory, but we've had one major AGESA release already and not much talk of another. What we have now might be as good as it's going to get; certainly wouldn't recommend buying on the assumption that it will be fixed "soon".

Emm:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31246099/

The next AGESA release is meant to implement some big changes.

Soldato
read that its to pre-pare for next gen CPUs and wont be bringing anything memory wise to the table =/

AGESA 1007 comes with support for Raven Ridge APUs. AMD has also changed the entire BIOS base structure so we have to do a lot of work to port everything to the new version, which may result in further bugs. The advantage is that it makes it easier to support future CPUs (Raven Ridge, Pinnacle Ridge). The cold boot fix will be implemented as soon as we have a recent AGESA version which supports it.

Its most likely RR and PR will come with improved RAM support,especially since an APU would benefit from higher speed RAM support for the IGP. The fact is says is a total change to the BIOS structure indicates a HUGE groundup change.

That also indicates at least Asus is pushing all their resources into getting the latest version out instead of mucking around with the current one. This indicates to me,that it must have some advantages over the current revision,since if it were simply for RR and PR support they could release this next year when they are actually available for us to purchase,which is Q1 2018,or maybe later.

In the last few days I checked up on some builds I helped people elsewhere with,and it seems even with non B-die based sets people can get 3GHZ to 3.1GHZ reasonably OK when months ago getting to 2667MHZ was considered a victory.

Back
Top Bottom