Yet Another TJ07: Performance Passive

Soldato
Nah, they need to be in direct contact (or otherwise connected electrically) and also both be in contact with an electrolyte to allow transfer of ions between the two metals.

Sounds like you've got it all under control then. Will be following this project, looks great.

Also just my 2cents, I would use 2 pumps in series, the doubled pumping head will make sure you've got the oomph to push through all the restrictions and of course you also have redundancy for peace of mind.

Associate
So you just cut the Cape Cora tubes to whatever length you want? and how are they connected together?

Looks a very interesting build.

Soldato
22 CC's tubes! That's bonkers.
It's going to weight a tonne - would really incourage you to have them wall mounted or on stands with QC's
Tweeking a pc when you have rads on the side pannels is a nightmare (ask WJA)
And check the amps on the nightjars - I don't think they are man enough of a 5870

Fanless psu and high end gpu's are not friends - maybe with two it will work but I'm no electrical guru.
Just checked and it's 32amp (rated for 1x 4890 or 2x 4850) Nice :D
BUT the nightjar need case airflow (which my Jesico doesn't due to rear heatsink fins)

Also have a look at the Mcubed t-balancer for the fan/pump control - really usefull for low speed / non-stalling of fans.

I would also be tempted in looking at the Typhoon 3 - one pump two loops but have heard it makes the D5 louder...

as to galvanic corrison - you will need an inhiberiter but as you said there is nothing in direct contact (check the tube threads for damage) and your Al:Cu surface area is high so that helps too.

Having some airflow is the best approach - if you hadn't already got the nightjars I'd say use a quiet fan psu.
But now, just block up all the vents and have the fans as intakes with the air being pushed out via the nightjar(s)

Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs - and always good to see someones elses approach to passive watercooling :)
+1 sub

Edit: have you got any images of your last passive array - you had a water bar last time if I remember correctly and a corsair on the carpet.

Last edited:
Don
OP
Been doing a bit more work the past couple of days:-

build6.jpg

I was hoping to add heatsinks to the RAM PWMICs but the gap between the power socket/capacitors and the chokes isn't big enough to fit in even my tiny heatsinks.

build7.jpg

And once done, a dry run so to speak just to check everything is still working.

build8.jpg

And one of the side panels drilled out for mounting the tubes.

RJC

RJC

Don
Looking good :)
Did you start the board with no cooling on the cpu, or was the block just installed and no cpu :p

Back
Top Bottom