Yet Another TJ07: Performance Passive

Don
OP
Any updates on this wonderful mod?
Should be up and running this weekend again, been busy with work past few weeks.

I've got as far as getting Windows installed but I'm disappointed with one pump that was a bit whiney though I suspect it has air trapped in it somewhere, if not I'll replace it. Also the two Yate Loon fans are too noisy. Not sure if it's a fault or what as I've never had any issues with Loons in the past.

Don
OP
Well, I'm admitting defeat.

Been trying to figure out what was causing the pump in the CPU loop to be so noisy. Ended up swapping in another known good pump which did exactly the same thing. I've just checked the pump speeds and both pumps are within 50rpm of each other so it's not a pump speed issue, which leads me to believe it's just an inherent property of the DDC pump with high water flowrate.

I've taken the decision to retube it all as a single pump loop, looking at the performance graphs for the CPU block it's fairly flow rate independant.

Edit: Also the 8/10mm PVC tubing I have I'm not impressed with, once it gets warm it loses most of its strength.

Soldato
Damn. This is probably a sign that my hopes of running an 18W ddc with an ek supreme in a loop all by themselves connected to the main loop reservoir will work out poorly. Could you clarify if temperatures were worse than expected or if it was just much louder?

Just one pump then, not two in series? Are the radiators still being run in parallel?

Gutted to see it go a bit wrong for you.

Soldato
sorry to hear of your woes - I would have thought you'd be better off splitting it into 2 separate loops though with one cpu loop and one 'everything else' loop, with each going to 11 cape cora tubes. Pumps are less effective in series aren't they? And you then keep the cpu in a less restrictive loop and the other blocks in a lower flow loop where they can tolerate higher water temps better...

Don
OP
sorry to hear of your woes - I would have thought you'd be better off splitting it into 2 separate loops though with one cpu loop and one 'everything else' loop, with each going to 11 cape cora tubes. Pumps are less effective in series aren't they? And you then keep the cpu in a less restrictive loop and the other blocks in a lower flow loop where they can tolerate higher water temps better...
I didn't have them in series, they were commoned up at the res, main reason was to keep all the cooling capacity available to both loops.

build20.jpg

Any, the new scheme is a lot simpler and extremely quiet :cool:

Don
OP
You don't have problems with only 4gb showing in bios do you?
How odd, just finished installing Win7 and noticed in the System page that it said 6GB installed, 4GB useable. Checked the BIOS and it said 4GB installed now. Reset the BIOS and it reverted back to the settings I had and it reads 6GB again. Might have a fiddle about and see if I can find what did it. Only thing I can think of is the normal/performance/extreme mode.

Associate
Someone else was having a similar problem with a UD5, I was reading about it on here yesterday - I think it showed up the 2GB as 'hardware reserved?

Really interesting project. :)

Back
Top Bottom