Yewen looks at: Lian Li S80b

Soldato
OP
Confusion said:
i install the cpu and heatsink before installing motherboard into case. That way the motherboard doesnt brake when installing the heatsink.

I do to. ;)

Zalman Reserator 1+. Easier to plug in and fill up / remove air with it moving around freely.

Associate
HI, any chance you can stick a high end Pentium D mobo in there, load it with 3 hard drives, high end grapchis card and give some cpu temps?...would be interested to see what you get...

Soldato
OP
I could put in a SLI setup if that would give rough enough temperatures for you?

My main rig is now in the case though as I did all my testing a while ago on the Athlon XP.

It would not give that good temps, but I think it would manage more than acceptable ones.

Associate
Yewen said:
I could put in a SLI setup if that would give rough enough temperatures for you?

My main rig is now in the case though as I did all my testing a while ago on the Athlon XP.

It would not give that good temps, but I think it would manage more than acceptable ones.

Thanks but that's ok, hmmm makes me think reason case is so expensive maybe casue of those HD coolers?.., oh and what is hte airlfow across the Hd's, nothing like the Sugo HD cooling huh?..., can't seem to find a case that does not have restriction on HD cooling most of them jsut have some holes cut into the HD bay to let a bit of air through....but iwht SUGO you get a lot of air...

Soldato
OP
HDD's do not need that much cooling.

My hard drives temperatures are very nice in the S80, 28 for the Raptor which is only 2 over room temperature!

This case is completely not about airflow, I am running 5v fans so it is not really ideal to draw comparissons unless with other silent rigs.

The case is expensive due to the build quality, this is not some gimmicy case, it is a very basic case, done to a very very high standard. All the S80 is about.

Look at the pictures, x10 the quality and thats the S80.

Associate
Hmmm its been a while since i've built a computer without a motherboard tray.. would you recommend installing a scythe ninja plus before or after installing the motherboard? i can see either way being potentially fiddly.

Also out of interest when did Lian Li stop doing trays? My current pc-65 still had one.. my only guess as to the reason is because cpu heatsinks are getting so ridiculously large that they wouldn't fit in if installed with the tray out?

EDIT: Just having a look around it now, VERY impressed with the build quality.. Have replaced the 80mm and back 120mm fans, but how the heck do i get those front fans out? I have removed the two visible thumb screws but they appear to be being held in somehow still.

EDIT AGAIN: No matter, got the fans out.. seems the rubber padding is just rather sticky prior to first use.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Arsenal said:
Hmmm its been a while since i've built a computer without a motherboard tray.. would you recommend installing a scythe ninja plus before or after installing the motherboard? i can see either way being potentially fiddly.

Put it on first, then just put it in, not really hard or fiddly at all.

Also out of interest when did Lian Li stop doing trays? My current pc-65 still had one.. my only guess as to the reason is because cpu heatsinks are getting so ridiculously large that they wouldn't fit in if installed with the tray out?

Exactly, also on the cases that do not have them they are not needed, in the S80 when I built in it both times I did not need a motherboard tray, they would have made the build take longer!

EDIT: Just having a look around it now, VERY impressed with the build quality.. Have replaced the 80mm and back 120mm fans, but how the heck do i get those front fans out? I have removed the two visible thumb screws but they appear to be being held in somehow still.

The rubber stuck on mine, I used a flat head screw driver to move it away.

EDIT AGAIN: No matter, got the fans out.. seems the rubber padding is just rather sticky prior to first use.

Oh I should check both edits!

Soldato
OP
The door for me is only ever open to turn it on, and the rare / weekly CD change so does not bother me, ports are on the top where they should be aswell!

Full review is coming, just got to try some more fans in it before I can come to any conclusions, which come tommorrow.

I am not happy with a lot of things on the noise / cooling side of things at the moment, its either making a noise and good temperatures, or 40deg case temps with no noise. :(

Got some more Ambers coming so I can make a full set, and some Dustproof's came today which I will also be trying.

If these two fail then this case is a dud, I have tried the stock fans, ADDAs, SilenX, YS tech and tommorrow Ambers (didnt have enough before) and Acoustifan dustproof and Ultra low noise.

Hopefully I will work out what I am happy with, had the same trouble getting my v1000+ noise down, managed to do it with Ambers at 5v, but for gaming always had to ramp up the VF900 or auto fan speed would sky rocket, in this case however when it cools well I do not need to.

The potential is there, but getting the balance right with something I am happy with, and I am quite picky, is prooving to be difficult and costing me £130 in fans. :p

Soldato
OP
da_mic_1530 said:
you are younger than me and can afford this how? lol :p

Work, live at home etc....

I have spent £1000 on cases and cooling since start of June, I really do think I have an obsession. :(

£150 case, for a £40 PC. :(

Yet I do not feel bad in my purchases, as I know I will make the money back, and then some. ;)

beh

beh

Associate
What have you found to be the optimal setup for the fans, intake and outtake wise, and with regards to ducting?

What gfx card are you using? Is that responsible for raising your temps much? Using an AC silencer on mine so not experiencing any such effect.

Will probably replace the fans on mine with some Papst F2 G/LLs sometime soon. Waiting on some cooler weather in order to make any assessment of it.

Soldato
OP
Ran my 7800gt on the Res and with a VF900.

The fans seem to be best as they come, in and out.

The PSU ducting when removed reduces temperature, and maybe fan speed if your PSU fans are based on thermal control.

I have gotten really good temperatures at low noise, don't get me wrong. But I am having trouble getting it literally noiseless, the last big just keeps eluding me. :(

Why the new fans to try. Taken the SilenX and Lian Li fans as far as they will go.

beh

beh

Associate
Heh, I'm not quite in pursuit of such perfection with regards to noise. I'm aware my psu, raptor, and NB fan would be the flaw to this.

Yet to test any of the ducting myself. Partially through laziness but also as it slightly ruins the aesthetics of the case for me. I look forward to your full review of the case :)

Soldato
OP
No worries.

I spent £175 on this case, a further £100 on fans specifically to test in it so I want to get it right at the end of it!

Will do a fairly comprehensive review, not the sort of thing you find on a review site as the temperatures I will be quoting are stable, and that is it. ;)

Not made the case unstable, but made the exterior side panel get to 40deg so far. That was with the stock AMD HSF, no fans and vents blocked to see how it worked purely on dissipation + PSU for cooling.

Very well was the answer but you will see in the review when I list up the combos of cooling I have tried. :)

I love the quality of the case, but prefer the look of the v1000+. Undoubtedly the S80 is the one thats more high end, but it has less prescence than the v1000+. S80 wont be a super classic, much as the 111c is to the 110 CM.

I may be wrong, as its just the vibe I get from the case. It really does look extremely expensive in person, especially with the door open looking at the silver strip, yet does it look to pricey for what it is.

Quite a lot of things like this I can't make my mind up on, stunning case, looks really expensive aswell. Yet the v1000+ seems moreso just on externals, its only when you start working with the case that the S80 shows it is several times better.

The handles on the internal pannels, and the spaces for easy screw removal when you drop them still get me, brilliant design!

Associate
Yewen: regarding you trying out various fans, any reason why you didn't consider the Scythe S-FLEX fans that OcUK now stock? Admittedly they aren't cheap (but then neither are the dustproof fans which you say you've also tried). They're supposedly half decent though from what I read, and I don't think there are any other FDB bearing fans on the market (not sure on this).

Soldato
OP
I am getting some dustproofs to try, hopefully in the next few hours actually as its 1am! (not OcUk there, can get a better deal.)

The reason why I did not try them, is quite literally until you just mentioned them I had no idea they existed to be honest with you.

May buy one of the slowest ones to see how it performs, but I do not trust fan specs or other peoples idea of silent, as silent pc's or what some people call them to me are what I would consider really loud.

Will probably pick one up just to see what they are like, however I think I have exhausted my fan budget for a while, unless anyone wants to loan me one to try out! :p

Associate
Well i can guarantee mine has been completely silent and never above ambient temperature so far! Look at my signature and see if you can figure out why :p

Anyway i have replaced my fans with the dustproof's and a ZM-F1, so i'm hoping this combo will yield decent enough results.. i don't think i've got the same standards as Yewen to buy 5 different sets to mix and match for perfection so just playing about with the speed settings on these will have to do me.

Looking forward to your results and the full review.

Back
Top Bottom