You never think you will ever get old !!!

Soldato
It is scary. I'm 38 and I can really feel time accelerating.

I'm just in my 40's and was absolutely fine in my 30's didn't think about age at all.

But turning 40 really affected me, because your basically not young any more, your just not.

I'm not depressed about it, I've got no health issues, I'm not a gym type person but I do lots of walking and I kettle bell most days, so can't complain.

But it really hit me.

I think the thing with turning 40 is your basically half way right, or certainly each year, 41=82, 45=90 etc, and therefore it comes a point in your life for the first time when you realise the road ahead may be shorter than the road behind. It's quite mind blowing.

Assuming you don't get some cancer or something but you have to live assuming you won't.

Associate
I can't believe I'll be 60 in a few months time when I'll start receiving a pension from a previous job at BT - just as well as I was made redundant at the end of January..
I suspect I'll have to work again at some point, but luckily there's no rush as I've enough to get by. Meanwhile it's weird getting used to not working , I really haven't got my head around the new situation yet.

Soldato
It’s not worth working unless you really have to, I have a modest pension so looked into maybe trying something, but of course my tax code is all taken up with my pension so I’d be taxed on the whole lot.

Thought about a freelance piecework type thing but then I’d have to do self assessment and all that stuff.

At least those are my excuses.

Soldato
OP
I'm just in my 40's and was absolutely fine in my 30's didn't think about age at all.

But turning 40 really affected me, because your basically not young any more, your just not.

I'm not depressed about it, I've got no health issues, I'm not a gym type person but I do lots of walking and I kettle bell most days, so can't complain.

But it really hit me.

I think the thing with turning 40 is your basically half way right, or certainly each year, 41=82, 45=90 etc, and therefore it comes a point in your life for the first time when you realise the road ahead may be shorter than the road behind. It's quite mind blowing.

Assuming you don't get some cancer or something but you have to live assuming you won't.

I didn't think about it in my 40's - I can remember being in my 50's when we had our second house and putting a extension on it - It was a semi with a huge gable wall that was held up with buttresses - I have photo's of myself standing on half of the buttresses with a kango hammer knocking them down - I had underpinned them all way across and builders had built a huge fireplace between buttresses to replace buttresses.
Never did feel old then.
Have to say it's only since the pandemic that age has caught me up as I lost my hobby due to right eye problem and not getting the exercise and just mooning around.
I seem to have gained a bit of enthusiasm this year as a lot of the slabs and paths including roof tiles need cleaning so bought the patio magic to do it. I now have goal in life - I lost it last year. - Also the 5 weekly trips to eye hospital grind you down - 14 injections so far and that is to keep it as it is and not fix it.
At least I can still smile :):):)

Soldato

But it really hit me.

Wait until you hit 50 then :eek:
I get the 40 thing, up until then my life moved quite slowly, but after that the days just flew by, and now at 52 it seems I wake up on Monday a.m and then it's Friday and I've no idea where the week has gone.
Do I care, no, not one jot, If anything my life is way better now and I'm far more content and happier than I've ever been, but that may be down to having zero debt or commitments other than work.
Mentally I still feel like I'm 25 and still race round on my motorbikes, play too many video games and generally just don't give a **** about anything other than enjoying myself, and why not, it keeps me feeling young (which is half the battle won).
I've been told by a few friends that I shouldn't wish my life away, but my main focus now is hitting 60 when I can stop work and chill the **** out, and I'm really really focused on it and can't wait.
In the mean time I'm doing up my house room by room, so there should be nothing major that I need to concern myself about when I stop work.
Just the very thought of not having to drag myself out of bed when the alarm goes off is all the motivation I need.
Bring it on :D

Caporegime

But it really hit me.

I think the thing with turning 40 is your basically half way right, or certainly each year, 41=82, 45=90 etc, and therefore it comes a point in your life for the irst time when you realise the road ahead may be shorter than the road behind. It's quite mind blowing.

For me, the big C is getting more common younger and younger.
So although I don't assume I'll get it.. I don't assume I won't. This has been a big big mental change for me. And it's why I'm in lofoten right now. It's why I'm be in Greenland in July. It's why I'll be in Morocco in September and Mexico in February.

Because even if something terrible doesn't happen.. I may not be able to do this stuff even at 50/60.

So no FIRE or anything like that. Live for now for me.

Associate
At least it was your head you were shaving.
shaver cuts down below leave a longer lasting reminder than a skin head.

Last edited:
Associate
reaching 62 later this year is a weird and disconcerting sensation, but truth be told i don't, from a mental perspective, see or act any different to my 20's. physically i'm completely hammered, but that i can deal with

the few things that *seem* to keep my headspace right are still having a deranged sense of humour. and finding almost anything funny

i still love the 'net, even after 20+ years of it. it contains new and interesting 'stuff' every day. what comprises 'stuff' could be anything: a snippet of news relating to a musician, a spoiler for a new film, etc.

this forum i love. i hardly ever post because i get more satisfaction reading the posts other users make. and mentally considering the issues they've mentioned

having something positive to look forward to on a weekly basis. i used to do the DJ thing, but now just have long mixing sessions at home at weekends. nobody hears them. i just spend all day Sunday mixing & listening to the sets.

and i also seem to look to have one thing or another to worry about. nothing major. this week it's my car going in for its MOT. it'll pass, but having something minor to fret over gives me a something to be cheerful over once that little drama has passed. and i just seem to live using that template week-to-week

i think once you get to a certain age you find your groove and whatever works for you as an individual is what you should stick with

live fast, die old - unconventional: Ricky Gervais said that :D

Soldato
For me, the big C is getting more common younger and younger.
So although I don't assume I'll get it.. I don't assume I won't. This has been a big big mental change for me. And it's why I'm in lofoten right now. It's why I'm be in Greenland in July. It's why I'll be in Morocco in September and Mexico in February.

Because even if something terrible doesn't happen.. I may not be able to do this stuff even at 50/60.

So no FIRE or anything like that. Live for now for me.

No kids I assume?

I don't regret having kids but believe me I am jealous of the freedom you have to do stuff like that without them.

Soldato

But it really hit me.

All my running PBs were accomplished in my 40s. Now in my 50s and things throwing a wobbly (bit of cancer and all that), but hey ho. I can still knock out a quick park run and only need 3 days in bed to recover :D

Last edited:
Associate
All my running PBs were accomplished in my 40s. Now in my 50s and things throwing a wobbly (bit of cancer and all that), but hey ho. I can still knock out a quick park run and only need 3 days in bed to recover :D
3 days recovery, I need that just running around the table after the dog

Man of Honour
Meanwhile it's weird getting used to not working , I really haven't got my head around the new situation yet.

It’s not worth working unless you really have to

When I get my State pension in May I'm carrying on in the NHS doing my 2days - 1 day WfH and 1 day in work.
I need it for my mental state, I've 'worked' from the age of 12 and I can't imagine not doing something but it also helps that my job is really easy.
I've been gigging in bands since the age of 12, obviously had a paper round and also did odd jobs like working on ice cream vans & bread vans to earn extra pocket money to basically buy albums.
At 16 in 1974 went into the Navy and always worked since then so I can't imagine not doing something.

Caporegime
No kids I assume?

I don't regret having kids but believe me I am jealous of the freedom you have to do stuff like that without them.
No kids and not ever.
I've only just gotten on my feet at 34 (buying house) , covid took 2 years and so I'm at 38 and feel I can only just do this.

I don't really get the kid thing. Ie the appeal of having kids (I don't hate kids!).
I wouldn't make a good parent.
And also think the next generation is going to have a **** time.

But yeah wouldn't be able to do any of this on my salary with kids.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom