Young Drivers Banned at Night?

Soldato
ignore

Its more newsbeat twoddle

even the daily sport has better journalistic credentials.

They've picked it some random study from a uni student and made out like its going to be future policy and got loads of people's ioppinions :rolleyes:

Indeed, but it makes you wonder how these students decided that it is a good idea. I expect they don't drive for starters. :p

Soldato
Mandatory night time driving in lessons is a much better solution. My instructor suggested taking a lesson at dusk to do some manoeuvres in poorer light and then drove on unlit pitch black NSL country roads for an hour.

Soldato
ignore

Its more newsbeat twoddle

even the daily sport has better journalistic credentials.

They've picked it some random study from a uni student and made out like its going to be future policy and got loads of people's ioppinions :rolleyes:

That'll learn me to not click and read the original link, looks like an idea by some idiot that's been put up as news, there's no organisation name mentioned either and looks like it's there to gauge feedback.

Soldato
How about..

Fitting black boxes to younger drivers cars to keep tabs on their speed etc, where having a black box = lower insurance

Why not have this on all drivers cars, oh wait it's because speed isn't the killer, it's driving unaware, lack of skill, distractions, shame there isn't a black box to check for this.

Your stupid idea is stupid.

As for the article, why not ban us driving altogether as I feel much safer driving at night when there are much less motorists on the road, I also wasted £1,700 on insurance and now your going to ban me for night driving? Give me half my cash back then..:mad:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Just what you need when people need to get to and from universities, need to get to their jobs which may be done overnight. What about professional drivers, do they have to be over 24 now in that case?

It's a pretty damned stupid idea. How about train us properly in the first place? We have speed awareness courses for if you've done the crime, why not have it mandatory before you can even get your license?

Is this to save lives, or is it just to put a stop to certain car culture groups who park up at night and have a natter becasue there's naff all else to do and they're not really doing any harm? I suspect that... and in the real problem areas have patrols go round and give them an individual curfew, not a blanket ban which is equally as unenforcable and ruins peoples oppertunities.

When I was 17 - 21 I was working till late in pubs and I was riding home from my girlfriends at 2am or so as that's the only time we had together. Living in a rural area with no other proper alternative meant that if this was in force then I'd probably end up breaking the law for the sake of going out of my mind.

Soldato
I think it's a brilliant idea. It'll save many lives. As will banning young drivers in adverse weather. Let's say more than 2.8mm of rainfall is predicted that day. Sorry, you can't drive unless you're over 24. Far too dangerous. High winds? You could easily lose control of your car on an open road. Forbidden. What about ice and snow? Blanket driving ban, regardless of age.

I'm not even a university student and I managed to think of these fantastic ideas. Do I get a medal?

Caporegime
That'll learn me to not click and read the original link, looks like an idea by some idiot that's been put up as news, there's no organisation name mentioned either and looks like it's there to gauge feedback.

Thats because its probably come from some university PHD student or something. It was probably never even really meant to be taken serious by anybody, let alone the government.

Nobody would bat an eyelid, but Newsbeat have sensed it would outrage the 18-24 year olds that Radio 1 is aimed at (more like 4 to 8 year olds) and published it as news to get lots of outraged comments.

Soldato
Will probably get a load of hate over this but whatever...

They should change the "standard" age for driving to 21, however you'll still be permitted to take your test from 17 and then drive as you currently do. The difference would be that, between the ages of 17 and 21, your license to drive would effectively be a priviledge which, if abused, would be revoked.

Basically you'd be allowed up to 5 points on your licence before your 21st birthday. If you reach 6 points then the "priviledge" is revoked and you lose your licence until your 21st birthday.

This would seriously focus the mind of young drivers. If you want/need to drive between the ages of 17 and 21 then fine, you can, but you'll need to be careful so as not to forfeit that priviledge. I appreciate that someone who doesn't bother taking their test until they're 21 would also be "as new a driver" as a 17 year old but I maintain that the average 21 year old is a darn site more mature, sensible and less hormone-imbalanced than the average 17 year old.

Flame away :p

Caporegime
its inexperience that causes accidents not age

upping the driving age to 21 wont solve the fact that new drivers dont know what it feels like to go past the limit.

Driving lessons never get near that limit as you pootle around with your instructor. For most, only once they have found the limit and been past it, do they know not to go there again on public roads :D

Soldato
Young and newly qualified drivers should be banned from driving at night and carrying passengers of a similar age, researchers from Cardiff University say.

Ahh Researchers, just like the ones that told us cigarettes were safe, then told us they were safe with filters (original filters were made form asbestos), then told us asbestos wasn't actually safe but a new morning sickness pill was, then it caused birth defects.

A person with a rubbish idea/opinion and a PHD still has a rubbish idea/opinion

Soldato
How about..

Fitting black boxes to younger drivers cars to keep tabs on their speed etc, where having a black box = lower insurance

This already exists, along with a driving curfew. A friends young brother passed not long ago and has such an insurance plan. Tracker fitted to the car, not allowed to drive between 11pm-6am. I don't believe there is speed tracking but I can't see why it isn't possible. It halved his insurance cost. Can't say I agree with all this big brother stuff though, it's just punishing the majority because of the foolish actions of the minority.

Soldato
its inexperience that causes accidents not age
Don't agree. Sensible but inexperienced people will drive within their limits and be careful until they become more confident. It's the immaturity and hormone levels of the average 17 year old which leads to them driving like idiots. You also have to consider that the majority of accidents are caused by 17-year old boys who are fascinated with cars in general and thus drive them "like they stole them" from the day they pass. Anyone who doesn't bother taking their test until they're 21 obviously won't be anywhere near as interested in cars or driving and will most likely be taking their test as they have a genuine need to do so, rather than just "wanting to drive".

I'd wager if you looked at the accident statistics for newly qualified 17 year old drivers compared to newly qualified 21 year olds, the former would be orders of magnitude higher.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't agree. Sensible but inexperienced people will drive within their limits and be careful until they become more confident. It's the immaturity and hormone levels of the average 17 year old which leads to them driving like idiots. You also have to consider that the majority of accidents are caused by 17-year old boys who are fascinated with cars in general and thus drive them "like they stole them" from the day they pass. Anyone who doesn't bother taking their test until they're 21 obviously won't be anywhere near as interested in cars or driving and will most likely be taking their test as they have a genuine need to do so, rather than just "wanting to drive".

I'd wager if you looked at the accident statistics for newly qualified 17 year old drivers compared to newly qualified 21 year olds, the former would be orders of magnitude higher.

all your doing is forcing that type of drive to wait till they are 21 though

wont change it. They will still want to drive fast etc..

I was one of those kids at 17 who wanted to drive. I didnt drive because i needed to for work or anything. I'd still have wanted to drive fast had i passed my test at 21 or 17.

Associate
Bit of a daft idea to be honest. Although I am over the age limit of this suggested ban, I only just passed my test three months ago, I did most of my practicing late at night when the roads were dead and I would wager that there's probably a high percentage of learners that also do this.

There should be a few mandatory night/dusk lessons for learners but aside from banning teenage chavs from driving there's not much they can do to remedy the issue.

Back
Top Bottom