Your bad driving encounters

Soldato
The Mrs told me she was almost in a crash yesterday while dropping the kids off. Turning right out of a 30 round onto a 50 so stopped and waiting for a gap (bare in mind that turning right is always longer on a busy road). Some absolute Muppet decides she's taking too long, and pulls up on her left to turn right and moves at the same time as her. She was livid, but I just don't understand why people do such dangerous things. She said the space she pulled into was big enough for her fiesta, but not much more so this guy/gal was half in the middle of the road.

Soldato
It was
People who do that kind of thing are absolute muppets - if someone is (actually) taking too long then they are probably a nervous driver so more likely to miss someone doing something unexpected...
I know what you mean, but it's not that she's a nervous driver it's just a really busy 50 road with not fantastic visibility. Turning right your at the mercy of a gap in both directions. Imo the manoeuvre they did was dangerous driving, but they probably thought it was fine.

Associate
It was

I know what you mean, but it's not that she's a nervous driver it's just a really busy 50 road with not fantastic visibility. Turning right your at the mercy of a gap in both directions. Imo the manoeuvre they did was dangerous driving, but they probably thought it was fine.
They would probably be the type to drive on the pavement aswell.

Man of Honour
The Mrs told me she was almost in a crash yesterday while dropping the kids off. Turning right out of a 30 round onto a 50 so stopped and waiting for a gap (bare in mind that turning right is always longer on a busy road). Some absolute Muppet decides she's taking too long, and pulls up on her left to turn right and moves at the same time as her. She was livid, but I just don't understand why people do such dangerous things. She said the space she pulled into was big enough for her fiesta, but not much more so this guy/gal was half in the middle of the road.
See someone do this the other day as well, it was one of those "Did they really just do that!?" moments.

Man of Honour
It was

Yeah wasn't saying she was or wasn't a nervous driver, just the mentality of people who assume rightly or wrongly that someone else is taking too long and do something unexpected given that if they were taking too long it is probably an indication that the driver might not have the awareness, etc. of a more experienced driver so intentionally putting yourself in a position they wouldn't expect someone to be is really daft.

Associate
My commute down the M5 is progressively getting worse, they've never been that great but where observable bad driving was a once a week thing (ignoring tailgating but things like playing pinball with 3 lanes of traffic (not the usual cut 3 lanes when getting off or on the mway) or using the hard shoulder as an overtaking lane/extension to slip road), this is now a daily occurrence.

A new behaviour over the last few months is usually an older car or small berlingo type van not slowing down when reaching traffic covering all 3 lanes until the last moment and slamming on the brakes at the last moment or dodging into a free lane (inside or outside). This morning was a great example; a black mini transit almost rammed a car ahead of me in the middle lane then found the out the outside lane had a vehicle in it, cue the "death wiggle" and the hazards coming on. It wouldn't be so bad but he/she had just done the same thing when overtaking in the lane next to me and almost swerved into me and then carried on to do it a further time after what I described above.

Don
A couple instances of this recently, ambulance approaching from behind, sat in a queue in a 2 lane road with 3rd filter to turn right at lights. Right turn lane is empty, 2 other lanes are used. People in front of the ambulance pull into the 3rd lane to “let it past” but instead just block that lane as well.

****ing idiots.

Soldato
Corner cutting seems to be getting more prevalent by the day. Even just 12 months ago it was maybe 1/5 cars, with most people making at least some semblance of an effort to stay on their side of the road when entering/exiting a junction. These days it seems to be more like 1/5 who DON'T cut the corner. While still lazy, I can understand it on a big wide corner with good visibility so you can see nothing is coming, but this is on narrow residential roads with parked cars making visibility round the corner poor. I've almost had to emergency brake a couple of times when approaching a junction to turn right, to avoid them driving into me.

The worst part is that they give you the death stare, as if somehow it's you who is in the wrong :confused:

Don
Driving down the middle of country roads round blind bends has been a thing here for 10+ years now, but it's much more common now, just because it doesn't have a central line doesn't mean you can take up the whole road if you can't see if there's anything coming.

****ing idiots.

Soldato
Driving down the middle of country roads round blind bends has been a thing here for 10+ years now, but it's much more common now, just because it doesn't have a central line doesn't mean you can take up the whole road if you can't see if there's anything coming.

****ing idiots.

This is actually good practice (on single track roads) - it gives both you and oncoming traffic better visibility of each other.

Of course it does rely on both of you travelling at appropriate speeds for the visibility/conditions :p

Don
This is actually good practice (on single track roads) - it gives both you and oncoming traffic better visibility of each other.

Of course it does rely on both of you travelling at appropriate speeds for the visibility/conditions :p
The difference that makes on a blind bend is less than a second in terms of being able to see someone coming the other way, even at something like 30.

Edit: The best defence against hitting somebody on the wrong side of the road, is not to be on the wrong side of the road :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a *****-trumpet this morning.

Single lane road, about 15ish cars waiting at traffic lights when spunky behind me slaps his right indicator on and proceeds to start to overtake but then is forced to bail because of oncoming traffic.

Where he thought he was gonna go is anyone's guess. You could see the oncoming traffic for a good 125metres as the road is downhill in our direction of travel

Associate
Had a *****-trumpet this morning.

Single lane road, about 15ish cars waiting at traffic lights when spunky behind me slaps his right indicator on and proceeds to start to overtake but then is forced to bail because of oncoming traffic.

Where he thought he was gonna go is anyone's guess. You could see the oncoming traffic for a good 125metres as the road is downhill in our direction of travel
Were they made to reverse or did they get let in?

Soldato
The difference that makes on a blind bend is less than a second in terms of being able to see someone coming the other way, even at something like 30.

That's still about 13m, easily the difference between hitting something or not.

Edit: The best defence against hitting somebody on the wrong side of the road, is not to be on the wrong side of the road :cry:

I agree... but that's not exactly feasible when not being on the wrong side of the road involves having your nearside wheels in the hedge :p

I'm talking about narrow lanes where it's only possible to pass at crawling speed (if at all) - whether you're in the middle of the road or as far as realistically possible to the left makes no difference if you're going to hit each other anyway, so best to give as much visibility (and so reaction and braking time) as possible. Obviously on windy country B roads where there is enough space then yes, keep to your own side.

Last edited:
Associate
Just had an entitled Audi driver on the school run(granddaughter). Bus pulled into drop off passengers with this Audio second car behind the bus, couldn't wait so pulls out to go round and only just got back in before the oncoming traffic was on them.****

Don
That's still about 13m, easily the difference between hitting something or not.

I agree... but that's not exactly feasible when not being on the wrong side of the road involves having your nearside wheels in the hedge :p

I'm talking about narrow lanes where it's only possible to pass at crawling speed (if at all) - whether you're in the middle of the road or as far as realistically possible to the left makes no difference if you're going to hit each other anyway, so best to give as much visibility (and so reaction and braking time) as possible. Obviously on windy country B roads where there is enough space then yes, keep to your own side.
Ah fair enough on roads not wide enough for two cars to pass - up here the issue is people doing this on roads where you could drive a bus through the gap. It’s usually people just cutting the corner rather than going wider as well.

Back
Top Bottom