Your bad driving encounters

Man of Honour
I don't know if people are letting their kids drive since the summer holidays started around here or the sun is getting people overexcited or it's people on holiday from work that I normally avoid on the roads but this week seems to be WTF after WTF moment on my commutes.

Best one was some guys in a Ssangyong transit van style thing chasing down a BMW doing 100+ down a 60 the other day then the Beemer getting caught at some lights and two blokes jumping out the van to remodel it. I'm intrigued what they were both up to to kick that one off.

Last edited:
Soldato
In your scenario however you're aware, due to the vehicle type, that it's not going to get up to the required speed and you're able to adjust and forward plan.
Granted, it might be easier to tell from the off if it's a 20-tonne tipper lorry - but a motorway slip road is fairly long, and still gives you more than enough time to work out whether the car in front is not going to be at motorway speed by the end of it, and react accordingly. You can't just sit behind them all the way then act surprised when you have to join at jogging speed.

And let's be honest, it's pretty easy to tell the type - Honda Jazz / Daewoo Matiz / any vehicle that is taller than it is wide / anyone wearing a hat / anyone sitting lower than the top of their steering wheel - yeah, none of these people are going to be doing more than breathing on their gas pedal so sit back and let them get on with it :p

Last edited:
Associate
Well I’ve read about it happening but never seen it until today.

I was behind a car on a round about when said car turned off down an entry onto the round about. Not even the on coming traffic gave him a clue.

He was a very lucky because it’s normally a very busy dual lane road that he went the wrong way down.

Man of Honour
Well I’ve read about it happening but never seen it until today.

I was behind a car on a round about when said car turned off down an entry onto the round about. Not even the on coming traffic gave him a clue.

He was a very lucky because it’s normally a very busy dual lane road that he went the wrong way down.

Honda Jazz?

I saw one the other night wandering about at 5-10 MPH on a roundabout obviously very confused and randomly changing lanes, indicated to go off at entries a couple of times before finally finding an exit.

Associate
Honda Jazz?

I saw one the other night wandering about at 5-10 MPH on a roundabout obviously very confused and randomly changing lanes, indicated to go off at entries a couple of times before finally finding an exit.

Silver Mini, I would say the bloke was in his 50’s. I’d take a guess he went a bit early on listening to a Sat Nav. Surely the angle of the turn should have also got him thinking.

Man of Honour
Weren't they two up on the bike?

Seems strange to be racing a Porsche with a pillion.

No information but if not racing wouldn't surprise me if overtaking plus someone involved speeding up was involved either ego, deliberately being a knob or clueless.

Got behind (a few cars back) someone a few days back wandering around on a main road then speeding up to deny overtakes when the opportunity came up, then going back to dawdling along - pretty sure they were finding it amusing...

Last edited:
Soldato
Sometimes hidden under a Panama hat.
Don't forget the cushions too :D .

I had one this morning and I'd be interested to hear opinions. Road has been recently covered in chippings so fair enough going slow, however the road has now been painted. The guy in front of me still stuck to 20, despite it being solid enough to paint and there being no sounds of chippings on the wheel arches (also despite it only being done on Monday, it's already worn through in parts, wish they just close the road and do it properly rather than the cowboy attempt).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Touching on a recent topic - road near me is closed - probably somewhere between 30 and 50% of normal traffic is coming on past the advisory signs and then having to turn around but quite a few of those are going past the actual road closed signs and then having to turn around... crazy.

Back
Top Bottom