Your bad driving encounters

Had my first bus bump yesterday morning.

Downhill, very wet dual carriageway, approaching an RA with red traffic lights. Began a gentle brake which would stop me at the stop line very nicely. About 75-100yrds out, woman in a Bini comes tearing down my outside and swerves across inches in front and jams her brakes to stop for the red light. My choice was hit her or throw passengers off their seats. I chose the former.

Minor damage to the bus, bumper, bootlid and rear glass done on the Bini. No reported passenger injuries.

She gets out screaming at me shouting it's my fault yadda yadda yadda.

Police and incident team called, CCTV downloaded, statements taken etc.

Collision happened around 10am, I was cleared of any fault by 13:30 by both police and my employer. Employer actually gave me a well done for the lack of passenger injuries.

Bini driver now faces dangerous driving charges (although will likely be plea'd down to careless due to lack of injuries).

The worst part? Both lanes go in the direction she wanted, she could have stayed in the outside lane and still got where she was going. The only turn off the next bit of road is the bus station.

And this is why I have a dashcam. In the absence of CCTV footage, there's a good chance you would have been found liable as you went into the back of her :(

My choice was hit her or throw passengers off their seats. I chose the former.

Can't remember if it was something you posted or I read on another forum - bus driver ran over someone's dog rather than risk passenger injury braking hard - owner went crazy can't remember exactly what happened but thanks to bus cameras the driver didn't get in any trouble but the dog owner did.

Last edited:
I'll generally see something at least once a week on my commute where there's a sign for something that either I know ended days ago or just never appears. Maybe they're just extra lazy around here
We had a 4 week closure of a busy country road near us. The diversion went down a single track lane with hardly any passing places. First couple of days it was chaos. Then people, in frustration tried their luck down the road closure and there was no restriction at all.

When questioned about the works (ditch clearing to aid with regular flooding) the workers stated that the restriction was mandated because once a day they'd need to block one lane temporarily while loading up a truck with the crud they had dug out.

By week 2 pretty much all traffic started going through the road closed sign as word got out. Next time there is a road closure, what are the chances of those people trying their luck and who could blame them!

And this is why I have a dashcam. In the absence of CCTV footage, there's a good chance you would have been found liable as you went into the back of her :(

Our vehicles have at least 7 external cameras covering 360°.

I was well covered

Can't remember if it was something you posted or I read on another forum - bus driver ran over someone's dog rather than risk passenger injury braking hard - owner went crazy can't remember exactly what happened but thanks to bus cameras the driver didn't get in any trouble but the dog owner did.

Don't think that was me, could be wrong.

I'd do the same though.

At major roundabout. Lights were already on red when I got there. In front was a Suzuki Alto and about 30-45 seconds later, when light was still on red, the driver drove around the roundabout and two cars coming from our right had to emergency stops.

I didn’t catch a glimpse of the driver of Alto. Probably elderly

To be honest there's so much signage left when it's no longer needed a lot of the time these days that it's no surprise people start to ignore them.
I do group litter picks on A and B roads and we find no end of temporary road signs in ditches etc.

Think the oldest sign we found was road closed for 3 days from Monday (date) the last time the date fell on Monday was ten years prior! Another sign we found for a college open day. It had the previous name for the college and that was changed about 7-8 years ago.

These signs cost money and contractors should account for every sign they use. Many of the signs are reusable such as road closed ahead, diversion (with a moveable direction arrow).

Then don’t start me with the cones left behind!

This morning had one 3 series BMW cut across two lanes to leave M56 to join the M60 by going on the hatched area. Pretty bad. Don't know if these people are busy on their phones that they forget they need to exit or just plain dumb. Well at least this one used indicators for a change on a Beemer.

Next one was a Police Peugeot estate on the M60 in the same journey. I stayed in the outside lane doing 70, and this police car was about 100 odd metres ahead in the middle lane. So I decided to not go in the middle as these guys were happily trundling at 60 behind a cement mixer. But then I had a nagging feeling that any minute they may decide to pull out. Lo and behold as I was about to pass them, they indicate and move at the same time. Had to brake sharply to avoid a crash and just mutter in my car "What an idiot" (sparing the other expletives in my mother tongue). To what standards has the driving dropped that we have to mind the cops now pulling off such moves. A few weeks ago a cop cut the corner heavily as I was approaching the Give Way (they were turning into the street I was coming from).

Had my first bus bump yesterday morning.

Downhill, very wet dual carriageway, approaching an RA with red traffic lights. Began a gentle brake which would stop me at the stop line very nicely. About 75-100yrds out, woman in a Bini comes tearing down my outside and swerves across inches in front and jams her brakes to stop for the red light. My choice was hit her or throw passengers off their seats. I chose the former.
How far did you have to punt the Mini up the road to spread out the deceleration to a level you felt acceptable?

No idea what was going on but in the dark coming around a corner and I'd thought I'd seen a light across the corner so was alert - 2 cyclists stopped at side of the road one with the bike perpendicular in the road and standing 1/3rd of the way across the lane at the back of the bike holding it by the seat blocking the rear light... (didn't see if there was a front light) so almost invisible in the dark until I was right on them and the other bike on the side with no lights on and the cyclist literally had their head in a bush and their arse in the air... and then about 20 yards further another cyclist weaving back and forth like a drunk.

Completely randomly figured out what was going on here while looking up something else:

RGv9R5j.png

Image on the left 10 years ago, the right what it looks like now - seems there is a footpath in there somewhere which I assume they were looking for.

Completely randomly figured out what was going on here while looking up something else:

RGv9R5j.png

Image on the left 10 years ago, the right what it looks like now - seems there is a footpath in there somewhere which I assume they were looking for.
Probably following a GPS trail of what should be there.

I've been in that position numerous times. Bridleways that just seems to end with a 'private no entry' sign which is probably just the landowner trying their luck. Routes that just peter out, random ditches etc.

All part of the fun normally but at night it is a royal PITA.

Bad pedestrian encounters.

Amazing how many drivers just ignore pedestrian right of way at junctions. A load of us trying to cross the road and a taxi keeps moving closer and closer to us and then starts getting shirty. Big mistake, he was about to roll down his window until he looked closer at me and realised it wasn’t a great idea. My Mediterranean animated arm genes definitely came to the surface :p

Bit of both here - headed up a very straight residential road with several calming measures that have give way lines. Oncoming driver needed to give way to me, and I was sure I'd seen him slow down and stop. So I carried on, and as I got closer he started moving forward and out. I think because I'd acknowledged the situation already and deemed him to have stopped, I assumed he was moving on to pass behind me. Except I realised there wasn't room and I was going to be squeezed between him and the kerb of the calming measure.

Just about stopped in time and he was incredibly apologetic, but I'm convinced we both just took our attention off each other at the wrong moment. Hopefully the brief heart attack will wake us up for next time :P

Last edited:
On the snake pass yesterday, had to pass a Yaris dawdling about at 20 in a 50. I get that you have to be cautious on this road but this was way too slow. They even managed to go over solid double white lines at that speed while going around a bend.

Also, saw couple of bikers getting close to the middle while cornering right, our left. Feels nervy when I see some doing that. Surely they could have stayed a bit to their left while cornering, it's not worth the risk getting so close to the middle.

Back
Top Bottom