Your bad driving encounters

Fresh story, this time with added instant karma ingredient!

Coming home from my parents tonight, I join the M11 southbound from the A11. This stretch of motorway is only 2 lanes, and even at almost 10PM on a Sunday night, is still pretty busy. I'm on cruise control at 70MPH as much as possible. I move out to join the flow of traffic in lane 2 passing the trucks and such in lane 1. I leave it on 70MPH, but a car comes up behind me. I don't like to dawdle in the overtaking lane when others want to get a move on, and there's a gap building ahead of me, so I squeeze the throttle a bit to override cruise, speed up and, get past the slower traffic a bit quicker.

This isn't good enough for old mate, who gets right up close to my bumper, I almost can't see his headlights below my boot lid. There isn't really room for me to move back into lane 1 without having to brake sharply or end up not being able to move out again, so I keep speeding up gently. I get to 80MPH and he's still sitting right up my backside. **** you I think, I'm doing more than enough to accommodate you. Any faster and I'll be up the backside of the traffic in front of me, so I just carry on until I'm past the slower traffic in lane 1, then move over.

As he passes me, I look right and give him my best "really, ********?" look. Can see its a young guy who looks over, typical one hand at 12 o'clock on the wheel, other hand possibly gesticulating at me, not sure, bit dark. It's a silver MK5 Fiesta. Whatever, he gets on to tail gaiting the guy ahead, I tut to myself and forget about it, and he eventually disappears.

About 20 minutes later, further south past Stansted Airport, I start to see the matrix signs showing "50" and "Report of Accident" and traffic bunches up a bit. Eventually we pass the scene and I see the same MK5 silver Fiesta on the verge, front driver's side caved in, with a young guy and someone else walking toward a white Corsa, back caved in, about 100 yards ahead of it. No one in either car, so presumably the occupants remonstrating with each other.

Rough justice. Hope Mr Corsa takes him to the cleaners.

Last edited:

Coming home from my parents tonight, I join the M11 southbound from the A11. This stretch of motorway is only 2 lanes, and even at almost 10PM on a Sunday night, is still pretty busy. I'm on cruise control at 70MPH as much as possible. I move out to join the flow of traffic in lane 2 passing the trucks and such in lane 1. I leave it on 70MPH, but a car comes up behind me. I don't like to dawdle in the overtaking lane when others want to get a move on, and there's a gap building ahead of me, so I squeeze the throttle a bit to override cruise, speed up and, get past the slower traffic a bit quicker.

This isn't good enough for old mate, who gets right up close to my bumper, I almost can't see his headlights below my boot lid. There isn't really room for me to move back into lane 1 without having to brake sharply or end up not being able to move out again, so I keep speeding up gently. I get to 80MPH and he's still sitting right up my backside. **** you I think, I'm doing more than enough to accommodate you. Any faster and I'll be up the backside of the traffic in front of me, so I just carry on until I'm past the slower traffic in lane 1, then move over.

As he passes me, I look right and give him my best "really, ********?" look. Can see its a young guy who looks over, typical one hand at 12 o'clock on the wheel, other hand possibly gesticulating at me, not sure, bit dark. It's a silver MK5 Fiesta. Whatever, he gets on to tail gaiting the guy ahead, I tut to myself and forget about it, and he eventually disappears.

About 20 minutes later, further south past Stansted Airport, I start to see the matrix signs showing "50" and "Report of Accident" and traffic bunches up a bit. Eventually we pass the scene and I see the same MK5 silver Fiesta on the verge, front driver's side caved in, with a young guy and someone else walking toward a white Corsa, back caved in, about 100 yards ahead of it. No one in either car, so presumably the occupants remonstrating with each other.

Rough justice. Hope Mr Corsa takes him to the cleaners.

I've had a similar experience regarding the tailgating today to which I've already emailed the company and the traffic commissioner.

Travelling back to Sheffield from Silverstone on the M1, which is littered with 50mph 'average speed' zones. A slew of HGVs in lane 1 as I'm driving in Lane 2, cruise control on, set at 52 (registers as 50 on GPS). Passed one HGV who then immediately sat on my bootlid.

About 3 miles further down he starts indicating left as we're about 1.5miles from the next junction but none of the trucks in L1 would let him back in, he's flashing his lights, on his horn etc, seemingly desperate to get over into L1 for the exit. I can only assume that the other trucks saw his tailgating and chose to teach him a lesson and forced him miss his exit.

His employer has already responded, apologised and said they will be recalling him back to base today

Snipped to avoid a long quote...

Yeah... That's really bad. For obvious reasons.

Some people just don't seem to understand you have to leave a breaking distance gap.

The amount of times I've had to disengage cruise because someone has pulled into my safe braking space between me and the car in front is quite alarming.

I wasn't driving but saw someone today trying to overtake a lorry in the turning off lane at lights, run out of road and with the choices of a head on with traffic the other way, into a barrier or the lorry ended up writing their car off under the tail-lift on the lorry.

EDIT: Weirdly not the first accident in the vicinity today - searching to see if anyone had posted about it found a red Audi (Yeovil Preston Road) crashed into the nearby pedestrian crossing a few hours ago.

Last edited:
I wasn't driving but saw someone today trying to overtake a lorry in the turning off lane at lights, run out of road and with the choices of a head on with traffic the other way, into a barrier or the lorry ended up writing their car off under the tail-lift on the lorry.
I was out for a blast in the MG last night as I never use it. Top down, nice cruise... Someone tried to use the turning-right lane for our local Morrisons to overtake me across a junction. Of course I foolishly assumed they were, erm, turning into Morrisons. So when they were suddenly in my wing mirror and about to crash into island in front of them, I was amused to see them start indicating.

They beeped me and I took great pleasure giving them the finger at full height out of the roof :D

Almost had 2 crashes last night on my way home. Number 1 was with an older lady in a vauxhall SUV(should have realised die to the type of car), we were coming up to a roundabout that's 2 on-2off, she went to the right, then when I was in the left decided to straddle, then pull over to the left. I decided to just go in the right lane and get away from the crazy lady.
Number 2, I was just crossing the crest of a hill to see somebody overtaking a mobility scooter while going up the hill (towards me). Did I mention it was NSL so not sure why they were even on the road (there's a path right next to it).

I've had a similar experience regarding the tailgating today to which I've already emailed the company and the traffic commissioner.

Travelling back to Sheffield from Silverstone on the M1, which is littered with 50mph 'average speed' zones. A slew of HGVs in lane 1 as I'm driving in Lane 2, cruise control on, set at 52 (registers as 50 on GPS). Passed one HGV who then immediately sat on my bootlid.

About 3 miles further down he starts indicating left as we're about 1.5miles from the next junction but none of the trucks in L1 would let him back in, he's flashing his lights, on his horn etc, seemingly desperate to get over into L1 for the exit. I can only assume that the other trucks saw his tailgating and chose to teach him a lesson and forced him miss his exit.

His employer has already responded, apologised and said they will be recalling him back to base today

UPDATE:

Just off the phone with the the company who's truck it was.

They reviewed the footage from the vehicle from the whole journey & found that I wasn't the only 'victim' of his poor driving. They've dismissed him and made a referral to the Traffic Commissioner, in order to protect their operator's licence.

No a motorist issue as such (other than people not doing merge in turn), but the whole of Aberdeen at the moment is just a bad driving experience with the bus gates, LEZ and the sheer amount of road works causing chaos trying to cross town.

No a motorist issue as such (other than people not doing merge in turn), but the whole of Aberdeen at the moment is just a bad driving experience with the bus gates, LEZ and the sheer amount of road works causing chaos trying to cross town.

Increasingly happening everywhere :( I half wonder if some of it is intentionally done to try and frustrate motorists all the while not providing alternatives and/or slashing public transport...

Returning from work today on the M6. Pouring rain with driving speed about 50 mph. Audi A5 driver suddenly cuts in front from my left as I was just about to pass him. Absolutely dangerous even in the best of weather conditions. Audi was already tailgating another car in that lane.

Another one from yesterday, had a Lady walking with the pram on the national speed limit single carriageway with her back to traffic. This is despite there being a separate path for Pedestrians. How irresponsible can one get?

Another Golf R this morning on the A50. Comes flying out of the LR Dealership. I catch a glimpse of it as there was a new Defender parked on the pavement just outside the Showroom that blocked the view for merging on the carriageway. He comes out and I slow down quickly from 60 to 35ish. Give them a flash of light to make them aware. Next thing I see is him adjusting the IRVM (facepalm).
There's a set of temporary traffic lights next for roadworks. Lights turn yellow, plenty of time to stop. Lights turn Red and he jumps them. Overall enforcing the stereotype for Golf Rs.

Whilst roadworks frustrate me, especially professionally, we'd all moan if they weren't done.
This. I've noticed an increase in the amount of people complaining about the state of our roads this year, but then people moan about roadworks too.
I'm not above it - there seems to have been an alarming amount of concurrent closed roads in the town where I work recently; but it's often been to repair some gaping potholes and surface issues. So you have to learn to accept it somewhat.

Kent County Council seem to be on one this year with surface dressing a lot of roads near me. I know it's not popular - I've had to make a mental map of roads which are being done so I avoid them for at least a couple of weeks (stonechips!) and they can be initially dangerous for two wheels. But after that, once the surface is bedded in, you do end up with a nice surface to drive on which tends to be more durable than patchwork repairs. I'd rather they did surface dressing than nothing.

Last edited:
Most of the roadworks in Aberdeen aren't actually them fixing the roads, the majority are utilities that start the job then for what ever reason take waaay longer than the original signs say, mostly Scottish Water, the bit they're working on down the beach is a disaster zone. The bit they did on S College St, was advertised as a 6 month job I think it was and took something like 3 years to finish. When they are fixing the roads they tend to do them in plenty time but often seem to have rushed the job that it then needs re-surfaced again. Auchmill Road is worse now than it was before, even re-introducing issues that had been previously fixed prior to re-surfacing. The new bit on Anderson Drive is decent though.

Also Bear Scotland seem to do a lot of pointless stuff around us (probably need to spend their annual budget). They change out drainage rocks on an near annual basis.

One of the worst trips to work today - a person doing 30-40 for miles in an NSL and obviously didn't care then a 40 MPH everywhere person, then saw a cyclist coming the other way on a corner and preemptively slowed and good thing I did as otherwise would have been a full on emergency stop to avoid a headon with the car the other way which inevitably pulled out around the cyclist - still had to get on the brakes a bit. Not to mention the people who can't drive on the dual-carriageway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom