Your bad driving encounters

Yea, usually the ones who were going 30-40 the entire way on my old commute. Face up against the windscreen and braking every time someone passes them in the opposite direction.

Nervous drivers are probably on the rise as public transport gets ******* and more expensive. So they are forced to scrape through the test and drive to work.

The problem with public transport is that too many expect it to operate like a taxi, it should pick them up from their front door, go directly to their destination on their timetable & be practically free.

This is why you hear people clamouring that the council should run busses, because they think that they'll run better and for free.

The problem with public transport is that too many expect it to operate like a taxi, it should pick them up from their front door, go directly to their destination on their timetable & be practically free.

This is why you hear people clamouring that the council should run busses, because they think that they'll run better and for free.
Round here I think people would just like them to turn up but it seems to be a struggle for arriva :cry:

This is nonsense quite frankly. In all my years of both city and rural living I have never known anyone with such expectations on public transportation.

When I lived in the city I went until I was 30 before learning to drive because buses were reasonably hassle free and more cost effective than driving. Public transport in rural areas is a completely different experience. The service is once every hour at best and your total travel time is up to 1 hour longer each way than driving. Walk to the bus stop 5 - 15, another 10 - 15 minute wait for the bus. Heaven forbid you try to time your arrival a few minutes before the bus is due to arrive because they might be early and just leave, so you have a 1 hour wait. Do the same dance on the way home.

So your 30 minute commute each way becomes an almost 1 hour 15 minute to 1.5 hour walk/wait/commute each way. Three hours out of your day compared to 1. It doesn’t be long adding up to a lot of lost time that owning a car basically becomes worth it for your own personal happiness.

Last edited:
This is nonsense quite frankly. In all my years of both city and rural living I have never known anyone with such expectations on public transportation.

When I lived in the city I went until I was 30 before learning to drive because buses were reasonably hassle free and more cost effective than driving. Public transport in rural areas is a completely different experience. The service is once every hour at best and your total travel time is up to 1 hour longer each way than driving. Walk to the bus stop 5 - 15, another 10 - 15 minute wait for the bus. Heaven forbid you try to time your arrival a few minutes before the bus is due to arrive because they might be early and just leave, so you have a 1 hour wait. Do the same dance on the way home.

So your 30 minute commute each way becomes an almost 1 hour 15 minute to 1.5 hour walk/wait/commute each way. Three hours out of your day compared to 1. It doesn’t be long adding up to a lot of lost time that owning a car basically becomes worth it for your own personal happiness.

Come speak to passengers in Yorkshire, it's exactly what was described by the council survey team last year.

As for timing, both companies in my area have apps that allow passengers to track the bus they want to catch, which will give a minute countdown to the selected stop.

We have a set of 'cardinal' rules at my place, rules that if broken are treated as gross misconduct. One of those is not leaving stops more than 5 minutes early, unless it's a timing point, of which that 5 mins becomes 30seconds.

Our passenger literature states to be at the stop 5 minutes before for this reason.

I don’t care what the Yorkshire council said. My experience is public transport in rural areas suck and make owning a car almost essential.

Were off topic long enough now.

Last edited:
Same where I am. Out of town, public transport just isn't viable. I think the village my parents live in have been cut to two buses a day lol. If you miss one or it doesn't show up, you're screwed.

So people who drive at the speed limit are crap drivers?
Purposely wanting to antagonise others on the road, makes me wonder who really is the poor driver in this situation.

No, the fact the majority of people driving are crap drivers makes them crap drivers.

Keep wondering boyo.

Just driving slower alone rarely actually produces worthwhile fuel savings, in fact quite a lot of drivers who dawdle along below the speed limit who are telling themselves they are driving more economically are probably doing anything but with the lack of forward awareness on display. Meaningful fuel savings come from maintaining momentum, avoiding accelerating on hills, smooth flowing driving in general with good timing to avoid excessive braking and accelerating.

I find it quite amusing reading some of the comments online about people who are going under the speed limit. Nowadays I do 10mph less than NSL and I've only recently discovered that this seems to really annoy people.

Given the **** standard of driving by the majority of road users this fresh knowledge fills me with an immense amount of satisfaction.

Suppose you also stick to the middle lane to annoy people aswell?

Moving on..

I hate People that do 40 in a 30 and then continue doing 40 when the nsl on a country road goes to 60. Blows my mind every time, it's so illogical

Bit weird tbh, driving slower is fine (within reason) but getting some sort of satisfaction from it because you think it annoys other drivers :confused:

Back
Top Bottom