Your bad driving encounters

Man of Honour
Not condoning this behaviour, but I think a bit has to go both ways:

I've increasingly encountered very bad approaches to road works, abysmal planning and lack of consideration for drivers, **** poor sign placement, careless organisation and complete lack of any joined up thinking, etc. etc. they aren't helping themselves to head this stuff off, there is a point where even reasonable people are going to snap.

Like this sign, I know there aren't great options but still, sticking out in the road just around a corner - unsurprisingly has been hit:

0Gb17Q1.png

There was another one a couple of miles up the road which was even worse, until some residents got fed up of near misses outside their house apparently and went and moved it to the other side of the road, which was actually a good spot for it. (EDIT: Unfortunately don't have any dashcam footage of the original placement but the sign on the right was originally literally where I've copied to on the left forcing even cars to have to go out on the other side, and just around a bend https://imgur.com/uM3ojQi ).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
We've got some temp lights and the road down to a single side just around the corner from the house, it's after a blind bend yet they've positioned all the signs giving you any warning after the apex in the few feet before you actually reach the lights.

Really daft and moving the signs a couple of feet past the apex would actually give people proper warning rather than just coming across cars stopped in the road after the bend.

Man of Honour
We've got some temp lights and the road down to a single side just around the corner from the house, it's after a blind bend yet they've positioned all the signs giving you any warning after the apex in the few feet before you actually reach the lights.

Really daft and moving the signs a couple of feet past the apex would actually give people proper warning rather than just coming across cars stopped in the road after the bend.

It is usually roadworks for the altnet providers like Jurassic and Gigaclear, etc. who do that :( they and a couple of others been connecting up the area around me and I've even seen them abandon parts of the roadworks infrastructure and go off for lunch break causing absolute havoc ( https://i.imgur.com/FSKbzEi.png ) just left in the road, again right before a bend, the lights not working as it was just that single unit left, and everything behind me had been cleared away.

Soldato
Another day of someone just sailing across a roundabout I'm on. I even beeped my horn, but don't know why I bother. It's not like they take any notice anyway, completely oblivious.

Caporegime
So I live just off a quiet road that leads to the main part of the village. In the last months we've had 3 cars go through either hedges in to the livestock fields or in to people's gardens. Each time apparently a 'medical emergency'. Surely that's statistically improbable?!

Man of Honour
So I live just off a quiet road that leads to the main part of the village. In the last months we've had 3 cars go through either hedges in to the livestock fields or in to people's gardens. Each time apparently a 'medical emergency'. Surely that's statistically improbable?!

Interesting you say that - within the last week there has been multiple crashes involving medical incidents, mostly heart attacks, near me:

ec0z9VV.png

Can't remember if it was Sunday or Monday night someone had a heart attack at the wheel and drove through a hedge about a couple of miles behind where the crash in the first image is.

Soldato
Interesting you say that - within the last week there has been multiple crashes involving medical incidents, mostly heart attacks, near me:

ec0z9VV.png

Can't remember if it was Sunday or Monday night someone had a heart attack at the wheel and drove through a hedge about a couple of miles behind where the crash in the first image is.
TBF some people poor driving has made my heart skip a beat :cry: .

Soldato
One from yesterday at work.

Approaching a staggered junction, decent flow of continuous traffic in the oncoming lane, first junction on my left. Got within about 50 metres when muppet decides that he's going to pull out of the junction on my left then wait to turn right.

Only just managed to stop about 2ft from his rear quarter, he sticks his head out of his window and asked what's my problem. Told him my problem is him being an absolute ******** pulling out then immediately stopping in front of an 11ton vehicle.

He said he's going to report me, which is fine because any complaint about driving standards means our police liasion reviews the CCTV to make sure there's no offence committed, which will do nicely as he'll end up with a NIP for due care.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Biggest gripe is roundabouts around here. People just dont know how to drive or follow/read signs.

Everyone thinks they can just do what they want. Small roundabouts, no one cares about give ways on your right, they just sail through.
Larger roundabouts, don't get me started.

I now have stopped horning/moan. I just let it be and continue on my day as i expect it most of the time when out and about.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah roundabouts are terrible these days a mixture of people not even bothering to try and learn how to use them and increasingly rubbish layouts or changes which make no sense or changes which make sense but only after you've used the roundabout from end to end the first time to make sense of them...

I've had my license more than 20 years but I still struggle with roundabouts which I don't know that aren't just your classic 1-2 lane, 3-4 exits with a normal layout - especially with traffic conditions and the poor standards of driving of too many people it is often far too much information to try and process on approach.

It is definitely a situation I find you need to employ an approach so as to influence other people's behaviour - dominant enough to put most people off doing anything stupid but defensive enough to be able to avoid people who are hell bent on doing something stupid.

On a different note - saw today the follow up on the crash which killed a friend's partner - whole thing has turned into a bit of a mess with the police/courts process and a 3rd party who set up a GoFundMe for the family seems to have kept most of the money so that is going to court as well.

Associate
There have been many, but I think one for me always tops the list.

I was driving home from work in Orpington to Swanley, where I used to live. I would go down the M25 and come off at the Swanley junction to get into Swanley.

Some days it was heavy traffic leading up to the slip to get off at the junction, other days it would be fairly clear.

This particular day, it was fairly clear. Im approaching the off ramp and gradually slowing as all 3 lanes of it are clear, other than a minivan parked weirdly in the middle of the off ramp and main motorway.

Just as I'm entering the offramp around 60-70mph, the guy in the minivan decided to reverse across the lanes right in front of me. I was able to swerve out his way and just miss t-boning his car. I was so close to it, I could see the whites of his kids eyes in the back seat!

Soldato
Biggest gripe is roundabouts around here. People just dont know how to drive or follow/read signs.

Everyone thinks they can just do what they want. Small roundabouts, no one cares about give ways on your right, they just sail through.
Larger roundabouts, don't get me started.

I now have stopped horning/moan. I just let it be and continue on my day as i expect it most of the time when out and about.
I'm more surprised when I don't have a bad driving encounter tbh...

Soldato
My Daughter was being dropped off by her friends Mum last night. She drove past my house, turned right, then reversed straight back to turn around. My neighbor then reversed out her drive and turned straight into the side of the friends mums car. Made a right mess of both doors. (couple of months old Ford small SUV thing)

Will the neighbor be at fault, since they joined the road and hit the side of the other car? I'd assume 50:50 if both reversed and hit directly.

Soldato
Had someone the other day as I was driving on the M60 at 5am 60mph cruise control, car on the hard shoulder with hazards on stationary. As I'm about 6 cat lengths from it, indicator comes on and instantly pulls out into lane one at 5mph.
Luckily there was nothing in lane 2 so I could swerve but if there had of been I doubt I'd have stopped in time.
I'm amazed people don't know that your supposed to get up to speed on the shoulder before changing into lane 1.

Soldato
Had someone the other day as I was driving on the M60 at 5am 60mph cruise control, car on the hard shoulder with hazards on stationary. As I'm about 6 cat lengths from it, indicator comes on and instantly pulls out into lane one at 5mph.
Luckily there was nothing in lane 2 so I could swerve but if there had of been I doubt I'd have stopped in time.
I'm amazed people don't know that your supposed to get up to speed on the shoulder before changing into lane 1.
If you had brighter headlamps they would have seen you coming.

Soldato
My Daughter was being dropped off by her friends Mum last night. She drove past my house, turned right, then reversed straight back to turn around. My neighbor then reversed out her drive and turned straight into the side of the friends mums car. Made a right mess of both doors. (couple of months old Ford small SUV thing)

Will the neighbor be at fault, since they joined the road and hit the side of the other car? I'd assume 50:50 if both reversed and hit directly.

My friends wife reversed off his drive into a car and she was 100% at fault. I guess because your mate was reversing it'll be 50/50 to save the insurance company debating things.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm struggling to picture what you meant by this

I'm assuming your DFM was performing a turn-in-the-road (3point turn) & your neighbour reversed out and turned into DFM.

Neighbour SHOULD be found at fault as the reversed onto the carriageway when it wasn't clear but their insurer will probably try to argue 50/50.

Back
Top Bottom