Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Mine looked near identical to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DFk4bnIxEg

Worked perfectly, and no way it can overflow/flood the room. Even if the entry got blocked, it would just cease when the waterlevel in the sump got too low (pump with auto cut-off), and even if it didnt stop the pump would not pump water once the level was too low. I just had a 90 degree on the inlet, and some mesh in front of it.

It was failsafe, cheap, and easy to do.

So in the way you set it up, there isn't enough water in the whole system to overflow the main display. There's just enough water to create the syphon, and the pump in the sump is only slightly submerged, so if there's a blockage the system shuts down quite quickly. Is that correct?

Soldato
Neighbour asked me yesterday if I would look after his water filtering - for some reason he needs 120ltr of pure water and he has the purifier running and I had to go in his garage and empty the 25ltr container into buckets.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
So in the way you set it up, there isn't enough water in the whole system to overflow the main display. There's just enough water to create the syphon, and the pump in the sump is only slightly submerged, so if there's a blockage the system shuts down quite quickly. Is that correct?

Yup, and restarts by itself when water is added.

Soldato
Picked up a 46L Fluval Edge to try out tropical fish. We've had a Bio orb 60L with goldfish in that we took in as the guy was going to flush them down the toilet. They are another matter as they need something bigger.

The tank is set up just now running at 26c and will aim to have fish in in 3-4 weeks once we've had the water checked or buy the kit to check.

I've been doing loads of reading online and there is so much conflicting opinions and people I know going totally against the grain but being 'fine'.

It's not a very long tank so it rules out things like neon tetras but some suggested Harlequins or Celestial Pearl Danio.

Initially wanted a Betta, probably female, as my mate had one but the lack of air space at the top of the tank is apparently bad for them? Loads of people have had them in the same tank and say it's fine. We could run an extra air line in for an air stone/curtain if that helped them?

Another suggestion was Kuhli Loaches but google says 20 gallon minimum. They don't have much bioload so could get wee team of them.

Shrimp?

I don't want it to be pretty empty but if I listened to people I'd have 10 neon tetras, pleck, ghostknife and about 8 fighters in one tank.

Will be adding some live plants and some sort of ornament/place to hide once the other half decides what she wants.

IMG_20170514_192339_zpsllf6fyno.jpg

IMG_20170514_192328_zpseb8hpfux.jpg

Soldato
Initially wanted a Betta, probably female, as my mate had one but the lack of air space at the top of the tank is apparently bad for them? Loads of people have had them in the same tank and say it's fine. We could run an extra air line in for an air stone/curtain if that helped them?

Bettas breathe from the surface, so an air stone/curtain won't really help. You could leave a gap of a few CM at the top, but that would sort of defeat the purpose/looks of the "Edge" design

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Yup, they are a labyrinth fish, so must have access to the air at the top.

If you want the tank to look busy without being overcrowded you could look at a dwarf rasbora species, which may allow you to run a decent size school. Just make sure you use fake plants to give them a lot of cover. It will also make the tank look more complete and full.

Kuhli loaches can be fun, but they are amazing escpae artists, I had some in my tank and they all ended up in the filter, i released them a number of times, and had to add a pre-fitler to my inlets to stop them going awol.

However, a tank of just them is going to be pretty dull and have a lot of empty middle swimming space.

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/nano-fish-for-small-aquariums-5134.html - take a look here for some more nano tank suggestions. You may be able to run a decent number of these in your small (but not nano!) tank.

Soldato
Dwarf Red/Chili/Mosquito Rasbora and Pigmy Cories would do well.

I have some celestial peal Danio's in my nano tank, I quite like them.

Nano species can be quite skittish so I would grab some real or silk plants to put in there. If you go real plants your not going to grow a whole lot as it's a fairly deep tank for the amount of light on it. But there are plenty of species of Anubias, Java Fern and Bucephalandra that will do just fine with little to no effort, stick them to rocks or wood.

Soldato
Bettas breathe from the surface, so an air stone/curtain won't really help. You could leave a gap of a few CM at the top, but that would sort of defeat the purpose/looks of the "Edge" design

Yeah I like how it looks but will certainly be taking at least a cm gap at the top to keep a betta.

Yup, they are a labyrinth fish, so must have access to the air at the top.

If you want the tank to look busy without being overcrowded you could look at a dwarf rasbora species, which may allow you to run a decent size school. Just make sure you use fake plants to give them a lot of cover. It will also make the tank look more complete and full.

Kuhli loaches can be fun, but they are amazing escpae artists, I had some in my tank and they all ended up in the filter, i released them a number of times, and had to add a pre-fitler to my inlets to stop them going awol.

However, a tank of just them is going to be pretty dull and have a lot of empty middle swimming space.

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/nano-fish-for-small-aquariums-5134.html - take a look here for some more nano tank suggestions. You may be able to run a decent number of these in your small (but not nano!) tank.

Thanks for the info,

I like the look of the dwarf rasbora guys, celestial pearl danios and kuhli loaches.

If it was a few of each of those, a few kuhli loaches(I know more the merrier for them), a male betta and a few shrimp what sort of numbers of each would you guys say is acceptable for such an awkward sized tank?

Mrs has bookmarked easy cared for small plants so we're covered with that.

Fish shop in Glasgow sold us http://www.seachem.com/stability.php to start up the tank. Just read that we should add some food to create some sort of ammonia for the bacteria to convert...the guy never mentioned doing that though.

Soldato
I would skip the Betta out of all of that, though contrary to what people have said on here you would be fine filling the tank to the brim as intended as the whole middle of the tank is open. The fish is going to know what is the surface and what isn't. They also have gills. With Betta' water flow is a much bigger issue.

It's only a 48 litre tank and your going to want at least 6 of each of the Rasbora/Danio's. The loache's are not exactly small either.

I tend to go down the route of more of the same fish is better than more types of fish.

Soldato
Taken it all on board and was going to try source proper ammonia and master kit at the weekend to kick start the cycle.

Today we've notices tiny fish in the tank. Counted 6 wee guys floating around.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/JonnyM_2007/IMG_20170517_201612_zpsylvnyjpv.jpg

Emailed the guy we got the tank from and he says he's only kept bettas recently. Will see what they are when they get bigger if they don't die.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
If the fish are eating, then you have a "fish in" cycle going on.
You will need to keep on top of water conditions if you want them to survive.
Usually a fish in cycle is done with a hardy variety, so with fry it will need carefull work to keep parameters safe.
That said, the bio load they produce should be low, so just keep feeding to a minimum and ensure to do regular 20% water changes. I would go daily with fry that small.

Soldato
Looks like it was a fail on the mrs part. She hadn't fully cleaned a fake plant from the goldfish tank. Loads of eggs everywhere... we then got rid of two of the massive goldfish that shouldn't have been in the tank that size to a mate who has a pond with similar sized fish.

We took water through to a shop in Glasgow who tested it and OK'd it for adding fish. Bought the proper master test kit so can check it daily and keep an eye on anything getting out of hand.

Associate
Picked up a 46L Fluval Edge to try out tropical fish. We've had a Bio orb 60L with goldfish in that we took in as the guy was going to flush them down the toilet. They are another matter as they need something bigger.

The tank is set up just now running at 26c and will aim to have fish in in 3-4 weeks once we've had the water checked or buy the kit to check.

I've been doing loads of reading online and there is so much conflicting opinions and people I know going totally against the grain but being 'fine'.

It's not a very long tank so it rules out things like neon tetras but some suggested Harlequins or Celestial Pearl Danio.

Another suggestion was Kuhli Loaches but google says 20 gallon minimum. They don't have much bioload so could get wee team of them.

Shrimp?

I don't want it to be pretty empty but if I listened to people I'd have 10 neon tetras, pleck, ghostknife and about 8 fighters in one tank.

Will be adding some live plants and some sort of ornament/place to hide once the other half decides what she wants.

IMG_20170514_192339_zpsllf6fyno.jpg

IMG_20170514_192328_zpseb8hpfux.jpg

Love the look of these keep us updated, i have found when i try to over stock my tank i seem to get fish dying off then it seems to stop when theres is a certain amount, so i dont get to many fish now and it seems to work well for us.

Caporegime
Got this little tank started yesterday.

Need to give the sand a bit of a stir later and I can't remember the names of the plants but I'll post later there are 3 and some java moss.

Here are some pictures.

lRJEhZF.jpg

tj7axP4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom