Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Those exquisite wrasse are pretty nice, may consider one of those instead then.

I looked at the radions, but they are silly expensive, and probably overkill for the current tank, was also considering a razor (the 180w)

Soldato
I could do you a good deal on the lights if you're prepared to wait until the new year.
Just bought another wrasse myself today, a carpenter wrasse, very peaceful fish, lost my silver belly yesterday due do jumping out of the smallest hole in my net lid, so ordered another one. Another common clown I also picked up, would prefer a pair of picasso ones but I couldn't leave one clown on her own she has gone sad since I lost her hubby.

Soldato
Are they the xr15? They can be programmed via USB without an additional controller can't they?

Would definitely be interested (depending on price obviously :p) and in no rush to upgrade for the next couple of months - assuming the current light doesn't die on us or something!

Soldato
Bugger, just had a peek in the tank before going to bed, saw a few copepods (I think) flitting around, and then spotted something in a piece of rock :/

Looks like it might be aiptasia, which is a bit of a pain, guessing I'm best nuking it now before I have more livestock in there? Been reading and it looks like the best idea might be to take the rock out and stick it in some boiling water... Only problem is the rocks are epoxied together! Is it hammer and chisel time? :p

It looks like for now it's just on 1 piece of live rock (most of the rock I got was dry)

Tried to get a video, sorry for the quality, they're in an awkward position, hopefully clear enough for someone experienced to identify though

Last edited:
Soldato
Cant tell from that video tbh.

If it is aphasia then best getting rid of them while you still can.

Altho i had a little bloom of them a while ago and some peppermint shrimps sorted them right out for me!

Soldato
Hard to tell if that's aptasia, Red Sea aptasia x is good,blocks their mouths like neo off the matrix and implodes them lol, trouble is with these pests it's very hard to eradicate them totally, just got to keep on top of them and just cull what you see every week.
I shall drop you a message about these lights.

Soldato
Nice one, cheers :)

I'll see if I can get a better look at them later on, might just nuke the whole site (from orbit) with some boiling water, it's the only way to be sure!

Can't really put a peppermint in there at the moment due to the ammonia/nitrate levels

Associate
Just get some aiptasia x and kill them as you spot them. That way you'll stop them getting out of control.

Edit: It's impossible to tell for sure from the video but those look more like feather dusters or something to me!

Soldato
Aiptasia X worked great when i had my tank. Get on top of them asap or they will spread and you may never get rid of them without a proper clean and scrubbing of the rocks.

Associate
I've just had the good news that work is moving me to a new location (where I wanted to go) but sadly I think that means selling my nano tank.

Where do people find is the best place to sell aquariums? I'm not sure my new landlord will allow me to have one and it's a 350 mile move so I don't feel confident my fish would survive anyway.

Soldato
I've just had the good news that work is moving me to a new location (where I wanted to go) but sadly I think that means selling my nano tank.

Where do people find is the best place to sell aquariums? I'm not sure my new landlord will allow me to have one and it's a 350 mile move so I don't feel confident my fish would survive anyway.

Where are you based?

Associate

Aquarist Classifieds would be my first port of call. Have used them numerous times to buy and sell fish and equipment.
Gumtree or Pets4homes could be worth looking at also.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Transporting fish is fine.
I used a poly box, with a 2 bin liners in it. Filled it with tank water, then put in an airstone, and stored the filter media in the same water. Then you just plug it in, in the car using a 12v to 230v adaptor and the poly holds the heat, and the airstone keeps things ticking over till you can set up again.
I would be confident of doing a 300+ mile trip like that with tropicals. Especially something like a betta, which is a labyrinth fish, so can surface breath anyway.

I left them like that in the new place for a few hours too, just added a heater and small corner filter circulate better. Then set the tank back up at my leisure.

Associate
I used a poly box, with a 2 bin liners in it. Filled it with tank water, then put in an airstone, and stored the filter media in the same water. Then you just plug it in, in the car using a 12v to 230v adaptor and the poly holds the heat, and the airstone keeps things ticking over till you can set up again.
I would be confident of doing a 300+ mile trip like that with tropicals. Especially something like a betta, which is a labyrinth fish, so can surface breath anyway.

I left them like that in the new place for a few hours too, just added a heater and small corner filter circulate better. Then set the tank back up at my leisure.

A heat pack or two in a poly box and newspaper with the fish bagged up would do the job fine. People send fish all over the country and world like this.
Can also pop in an oxygen tablet to be extra sure.

Associate
Just bought one of these pumps and 11m of tubing to do my water changes on my main tanks.
A cheap Sunsun pump and standard 16x22mm tubing; total cost around £40.
NPdLjbV.jpg
Meant to do it ages ago but I've since sustained a lower back injury so lugging lots of buckets of water about is a no no at the moment for my 200L and 400L FW tanks.
To empty I simply sit the pump in the tank and pump in to the sink or outside through the 11m of tubing.
For filling up I put a bucket in the sink, fill it up and leave the tap running at the correct temperature and set the flow of the pump (it's adjustable) to match the water flow from the tap and attach the outlet to the tank and let it fill.
Every-so-often I will add some conditioner (Seachem Prime) and any other additives to the water as it's being pumped back in.
Fortunately my fish (Malawi Cichlids and Tanganyika cichlids) like water direct from my tap as it's quite hard. Couldn't really do this with soft water or SW tanks.

I needed a much a bigger pump flow rate compared to the tap flow rate due to the head of water pumping it up in to the tank.
My tap is around 600LPH but the pump is 1600LPH (but adjustable.)

Associate

Thanks Malt, I'll have to enquire to the new landlord if I can take it with me. The problem is more a case of it'll be the 300 mile drive, followed by a night elsewhere, then moving in. It could easily be 48hrs between taking apart and setting up again.

I'll nip to my LFS and see if I can get a transport box. Perhaps I can hook up and inverter for the car 12v and stick a heater and pump in. I assume a day without light won't hurt him?

Back
Top Bottom