Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
I'd love a reef tank as well as some oscars, my dad would never try salt water though as I think back in the day it was just too much.

At one point we had 3 small ponds with koi which eventually got replaced by a massive one about 5 ft deep in the middle, we even got visited by a pelican at one point which was odd in Liverpool

Soldato
@b0rn2sk8 so I've just tested the ph levels on the new tank, the standard test shows a 7.6 but the high range test shows 7.4 does this sound right if my lad wants to get his betta today?

Also should I keep dosing with seacem stability for 7 days even on such a small tank?

Associate
ph doesnt sound to bad. A bit on the highside but not dangeriously so. The tank hasnt been established for to long right? it may drop a bit more, you could always add some almond leaves/ driftwood etc to drop it a bit more. but a stable ph is what your aiming for rather than fluctuations.

not really got any advise regarding the seachem stability but if your tanks all cycled it probably wont make much of a difference. if you have it you could use it for peace of mind and just to use it. would do frequent water tests for the first week when you get your fish anyway.

Soldato
The PH is fine, about the same as mine out of the tap. You should consider hobbyist test kits an indicator rather than an accurate reading but an indicator is more than sufficient for a hobbyist.

If you want to know what is it exactly you can check your water companies website, they normally publish very detailed analysis of your tap water. It sounds like you are very much in a hard water area.

As for Stability, as a minimum follow the on bottle instructions but no harm in keeping it going for longer.

Soldato
My reactor and skimmer are both plastic footed onto the base of my sump and make a ton of noise. any recommendations on how to silence them? anything i can sit them on no more than 1mm or 2mm really as the depths are spot on

Soldato
My lad went straight for the betta, I'll get some pictures up he's a half moon something lol

Another silly question probably but the edge led has a night light option should I be leaving lights on 24/7?

Soldato
Glad he liked the Betta :D

No, I would steer clear of night lights. They often trigger algae growth as the tank doesn't get dark enough and consistency is normally key. One day you will also forget to turn the lights on/off and and end up with either green water or algae growing on every surface. The fish also learn the light routine and know when its time for food and sleep, fish to take awhile to 'wake up' if the tank is dark and the lights then come on.

Stick it on a basic timer for no more than 8 hours a day and forget about it. Just set it for the hours you are in the room the most, normally the evening.

Soldato
My reactor and skimmer are both plastic footed onto the base of my sump and make a ton of noise. any recommendations on how to silence them? anything i can sit them on no more than 1mm or 2mm really as the depths are spot on

Glue some rubber feet onto the bottom or another favorite i see people using is the closed cell polystyrene foam you get in packaging, obviously this needs to be balanced out as it floats and if you use to much it will lift the equipment off the floor

Soldato
Glue some rubber feet onto the bottom or another favorite i see people using is the closed cell polystyrene foam you get in packaging, obviously this needs to be balanced out as it floats and if you use to much it will lift the equipment off the floor

Did wonder about gluing feet to it i want it so i can always remove it for cleaning and if i decide to sell it on
May sound silly but what about them little rubber disks u can put under sofas etc? The really thin ones

Soldato
Did wonder about gluing feet to it i want it so i can always remove it for cleaning and if i decide to sell it on
May sound silly but what about them little rubber disks u can put under sofas etc? The really thin ones

From a quick google no as the saltwater breaks down normal rubber.

You need silicone rubber

Associate
as we were talking about bettas earlier, does any one know a good retailer for bettas? online, shops in the south east or even importers? what are people experience of importers. ive been checking out local maidenhead aquatics etc but havent seen anything that makes me go wow.

I know the fish with improve when its in a proper tank and will get more colours coming through but the ones ive seen dont seem very exciting or even responsive/ much character

Soldato
^^ would also be interested in that also. I'm in the market for a betta but my local LFS's haven't had anything that takes my fancy for awhile, most were pretty poor so they still have them. One of my LFS's doesn't even stock them...

Back
Top Bottom