Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
You can just leave them. They go crazy like that when there is to much food. They will slowly die off on their own after a while.

This, reduce feeding. Snails in general are healthy for your system, just not very pretty.

You have several options:
Manual removal is a good start, attract them with a lettuce leaf and remove it after a few hours. Probably will not work if you have a pleco or other veggie loving fish.
Snail traps, normally effective.
Loaches will eat them but I don’t recommend adding livestock to deal with other livestock. Some loaches are not shrimp safe.
Assassin snails will also deal with them but they will also breed in your tank.
You can get treatments that kill them but I really don’t recommend those. For a start they are not entirely fish safe and will kill shrimp. You will also have loads of decomposing snails in your tank which will cause an ammonia spike.

I would start with manual removal and reducing feeding, that will get it under control or completely remove it.

Associate
Any one with personal experience with Tiger shrimp? I have a nice little RCS tank going and was thinking of adding something a bit more colourful. My water is a bit hard maybe but theres a but of conflicting info on Tigers.

Some say that if you have RCS thriving then tigers will be fine. some say they wont be okay in harder water. online water parameters seems to vary a lot for ideal breeding conditions and acceptable conditions and to maybe survivable conditions. need to get some more testing drops for gh/kh but previously in a less mature tank without plants/ wood it was around 14 GH. PH around 7 - 7.5

Last edited:
Soldato
Any one with personal experience with Tiger shrimp? I have a nice little RCS tank going and was thinking of adding something a bit more colourful. My water is a bit hard maybe but theres a but of conflicting info on Tigers.

Some say that if you have RCS thriving then tigers will be fine. some say they wont be okay in harder water. online water parameters seems to vary a lot for ideal breeding conditions and acceptable conditions and to maybe survivable conditions. need to get some more testing drops for gh/kh but previously in a less mature tank without plants/ wood it was around 14 GH. PH around 7 - 7.5

I kept and bred crystal bee shrimp for a year or so before i made the change to salt not sure what toger shrimp are tho.

If they are anything like the crystal bee shrimp they require much better conditions than rcs.

Associate
I kept and bred crystal bee shrimp for a year or so before i made the change to salt not sure what toger shrimp are tho.

If they are anything like the crystal bee shrimp they require much better conditions than rcs.

They are close to Bee shrimp but supposed to be a bit more hardy. Technially Tigers are Caridina mariae and bee are Caridina logemanni but they can cross breed both being Cardina

post-599-0-09900600-1412307823.jpg

Soldato
Cheers guys..... Going to try the holo Cucumber technique for a few weeks and see if i can slow reduce their pop.

Dont have any predators yet, i do have snail killing stuff, but i need to take the carbon out of my filter first!

Gobsmacked at the difference since buying a proper filter and live plants. Not touched anything for 7 weeks and tests are coming back great!

Caporegime
I have a small 18 litre seastar hx320f which I was to use as a guppy fry tank.

I have a allpondsolutions corner filter running with a spray bar, currently I have no substrate or anything else, what should I do with it? The built in light is utter ***** so plants are out of the question I think.

Soldato
Hey guys, what fish is this? I'm sure the guy in the shop said it was a wolf fish? My daughter really liked them so i bought two. I checked with the guy who said they'll eat flakes.... But they also love the dangly algea.... They have absolutely picked my tank clean, however they're not eating any flake food i put in. Dont want them to die

125j72f.jpg

Also my 200ltr tank. Honestly haven't cleaned it in 8 weeks. Readings are great!

oumoet.jpg

Soldato
I'm fairly sure its a regular Flying Fox.

http://ourmarinespecies.com/c-fishes/flying-fox-fish/

I'm about 80% is a regular Flying Fox based on the black bar on the top of the fish, I can't be sure from the image.

They normally eat petty much anything and are classed as an omnivore. They don't normally need specific sinking foods and are normally happy to take, flake, pellets (floating or sinking) or veggie. Some pick at soft algae when they are young but tend to 'grow out of it' fairly quickly.

Even Siamese Algae Eaters which are sold as an 'algae eater' are omnivores. They look similar to the Siamese Flying Fox, so similar that many fish sold as SAE's are in fact SFF's.

Associate
I have a small 18 litre seastar hx320f which I was to use as a guppy fry tank.

I have a allpondsolutions corner filter running with a spray bar, currently I have no substrate or anything else, what should I do with it? The built in light is utter ***** so plants are out of the question I think.
add a new light and make it a planted shrimp tank? You can't have to many fish in a tank like that but maybe a couple killifish or something like that might be interesting?

Soldato
I'm fairly sure its a regular Flying Fox.

http://ourmarinespecies.com/c-fishes/flying-fox-fish/

I'm about 80% is a regular Flying Fox based on the black bar on the top of the fish, I can't be sure from the image.

They normally eat petty much anything and are classed as an omnivore. They don't normally need specific sinking foods and are normally happy to take, flake, pellets (floating or sinking) or veggie. Some pick at soft algae when they are young but tend to 'grow out of it' fairly quickly.

Even Siamese Algae Eaters which are sold as an 'algae eater' are omnivores. They look similar to the Siamese Flying Fox, so similar that many fish sold as SAE's are in fact SFF's.

thats the one!!!

Still haven't been able to get them to eat anything. Tried a bit of lettuce and they dont seem to be bothered.

Shall i try Algae sinking wafers?

Caporegime
add a new light and make it a planted shrimp tank? You can't have to many fish in a tank like that but maybe a couple killifish or something like that might be interesting?
How can I retrofit a light? The fitting looks like bicycle clips that the current one pushes in to, then runs straight to the mains.

Associate
How can I retrofit a light? The fitting looks like bicycle clips that the current one pushes in to, then runs straight to the mains.
could try a Diy led strip and leave the original lift fitted maybe? run them both? Have you tried growing plants in it before? Ut might surprise you, I see 9 leds so it might have a fair amount of light fir a tank that size.

Caporegime
I want to get java moss, Hygrophila, (Microsorum or Cryptocoryne) and dwarf hair grass.

Any opinion on if these are suitable for 1watt/g with liquid co2?

I know carpeting plants take AGES if there is no co2 injection, but i'm happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom