Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Dwarf hair grass is the most demanding plant you have there.

Which form of microsorum, trident is demanding, regular is not.

Watt/Litre isn’t a great measure as it depends on what type of light (t8, t5, led etc), if there are reflectors or lenses, the size and how deep the tank is.

Need to know more information.

Soldato
Ah yes I remember you posted that a few post back, sorry for asking again!

Personally I don’t think dwarf hairgrass will do so well but the rest should be fine. I would avoid crypt parva as it’s grows so slowly but most other common crypts are suitable.

It’s really hard to carpet anything though 50cm of water, light loses a lot of intensity as passes through water.

Try and find some PAR ratings for those lights, that will give you a better idea of what’s possible.

Caporegime
I can't find the PAR, its not on manufacturers site, just the lumens which is 1610

Stargrass I assume is just as difficult to grow under low light?

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty much yes.

Helanthium tenellum may work better, its a much thicker leaf but grows in lower light. I have it growing no problems in my 35L Denerle Scapers tank under the stock 3.5W LED but the tank is far smaller and shallower then yours. Its also carpeting (slowly) in my Fluval Spec which has less light.

Soldato
I'm fairly sure its a regular Flying Fox.

http://ourmarinespecies.com/c-fishes/flying-fox-fish/

I'm about 80% is a regular Flying Fox based on the black bar on the top of the fish, I can't be sure from the image.

They normally eat petty much anything and are classed as an omnivore. They don't normally need specific sinking foods and are normally happy to take, flake, pellets (floating or sinking) or veggie. Some pick at soft algae when they are young but tend to 'grow out of it' fairly quickly.

Even Siamese Algae Eaters which are sold as an 'algae eater' are omnivores. They look similar to the Siamese Flying Fox, so similar that many fish sold as SAE's are in fact SFF's.

Agrrr still are yet to even touch anything i put in!

Might this:
HERONS Cichlid Trio Pellets SPIRULINA OMEGA-3 COLOUR ENHANCING MALAWI FISH FOOD

Associate
damn my Tetra ex800 plus canister filter is leaking water dripping out slowly where the motor head meets the base at the front, have got a new O ring on order do new rings have too be greased with something maybe they come pre greased ?.

might have too use my internal back up filter till it comes nightmare if the leak gets worse overnight and floods everywhere this is putting me off using an external :( it 4 years old so had it a while anyone had one fail and cause damage ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Put in a washing up bowl, it’s **unlikely** to develop into a stream overnight that said don't blame me if it does. Old Fluval filters are renown for their slow leaks.

The o-ring should come pre-greased, you need to use silicone grease to keep it lubricated.

For your current one if you don't have any silicone grease try putting on a load of petroleum jelly (Vassoline) if you have any to try and stop it leaking. I normally would say absolutely don't do this as it breaks down the o-ring over time but we are already beyond that.

Soldato
That looks like the correct part, it will be coiled up into a small packet.

The problem is with that amazon listing is that its super expensive. It should be £4-5.

Soldato
Any silicone grease should do as long as its just silicone grease (no additives), I just use some stuff I have I bought for use in Airsoft guns over a decade ago, I think its only 20ml. If your unsure buy a good product marketed at the food sector so you know its food safe.

You want the proper grease kind (like Vaseline consistency) not the spray tube kind and you only need a tiny pot.

EDIT:

E.G. https://www.amazon.co.uk/FilterLogi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KNW6KQCZMJGC2PYWRKYE

You could probably get it cheaper/bigger pot for the same money that isn't marketed to a particular type of product/use.

Last edited:
Associate
ok the new O ring sorted the main leak out i cleaned all the crud from the hoses re assembled everything and now one of taps has decided too fail slow leak tried some ptfe tape on the thread but didn't work, :( not sure it's worth buying more spare parts for a 4 year old filter the pump could fail next. and the spare parts prices are a rip off too.

so might get something new any suggestions thinking the new fluval 207 looks good for a 125 litre tank.

ta.

Soldato
Re plumbed the tank today to get rid of the rage inducing red sea diaphragm valve ive hated that thing since the day i set up this tank.

Also gave me the opportunity to move the clarisea sidewards, found when i installed it originally when the dirty roll got 3/4 full it pushed against the skimmer so i would have to pull it all out and then back together for the last 1/4 roll.

hPb0BcR.jpg

Plenty of space in there now.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want something easy the Jewel Bioflow filters are quite good. They aren't pathetic like most internal ones. Though you do need to silicone them to the glass and they are hard to find in the UK.

Associate
Anyone recommend a half decent light for my tank (Ideally £100 or less)? I have a low tech planted tank 80cm wide (140L) and I am using a 26w - 7500K LED light at the moment. It just seems too bright for this tank, considering I don't use c02. Also, the tank has no lid, so will need something that can sit on the rim. It would be good if the lights could be dimmable or even if there was a controller of sorts that I could use with my current light, I'm just not 100% sure.

I've had a quick look at some LED strips, but they probably won't produce the right light for the plants?

Back
Top Bottom