Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Hey guys,

So I bought what I thought were two female betta fish on the weekend, one black and one red.

Both are similar in size and their fins and tails aren't as large as the males.

But I noticed that the black one started to make bubble nests, and today I've seen them both wrap around each other and mate I believe.

The red one then releases what appears to be an egg and sometimes the black one will take the egg in its mouth. So I think I have one male and one female betta in the tank.

The issue I have now, is that they share the tank with 10 cardinal tetras, two endlers and a guppy, and the tetras sometimes go for the egg that is released.

What should I do?

Should I get a separate breeding tank, or let nature take over?

Free food for the other fish!

Soldato
Could any kind person link me to a beginner's guide or online resource? I had some tropical fish before and can remember having to get the water conditioned before putting the fish in. I also remember an online tool that could let me know what fish I could put together etc..

My daughter is expressing an interest in having an aquarium/pet fish.

TIA

Caporegime
You need to do a fishless cycle which consists of adding ammonia and Fluval cycle or similar in order to multiply the beneficial bacteria which is responsible for transforming ammonia into nitrite and nitrite in to nitrate.

This is the stocking calculator http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Associate
Yeah at some point you may have to move them. They wont play nice forever. How large is this tank though? If it's 200L -300L or something they might be happy setting up there own territory at either end.

Yeah, I've ordered a new tank, the female will be in the community tank, and the male will be alone.

Associate
What did you go for?

I went for the Fluval Spec Aquarium 19L white version from the rainforest, should be arriving tomorrow, so I'm quite excited.

Had a look on YouTube and a few people have been keeping a Betta in it, and I like the look of it, will look nice in my office.

Going to get some tropica soil and plants this evening and do some aquascaping for when it arrives.

Quick question, I'm going to do a water change tomorrow on my main tank, around 30%, would it be ok to use that water in the new tank to start the cycle?

Caporegime
The BB isn't in the water, its on the surfaces of the tank so it doesnt actually make any difference.

Chuck some filter media in and a decoration or two from your established tank and that will help.

Soldato
I went for the Fluval Spec Aquarium 19L white version from the rainforest, should be arriving tomorrow, so I'm quite excited.

Had a look on YouTube and a few people have been keeping a Betta in it, and I like the look of it, will look nice in my office.

Going to get some tropica soil and plants this evening and do some aquascaping for when it arrives.

Quick question, I'm going to do a water change tomorrow on my main tank, around 30%, would it be ok to use that water in the new tank to start the cycle?

The rainforest?
https://therainforestsite.greatergood.com/clicktogive/trs/home

Cant see any aquariums on their site?

Back
Top Bottom