Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Afternoon guys,

So had a right bit of faff yesterday, the Fluval edge cracked and started peeing water out like crazy, so had to go and grab a new tank from Pets at Home with it being the closest.

Ended up with the 60litre I love Fish curved front glass tank for £90 with an in store offer, I've got all my cycled media stuffed into the filter that came with the tank however the stock filter is meant to be absolute rubbish.

Can you guys recommend and absolutely stonking filter suitable for the 60litre tank?

Also I've switched substrate from sand to fine gravel and having difficulty getting my plant to stay put... can I add planted substrate into a full tank in the targeted area or would a plant weight do the trick?

Trim the roots right down and replant, it should re-establish its self within a few weeks. If it keeps floating up just weigh it down with a small stone for a few days.

I wouldn't change the filter (again) for awhile, as you changed the tank and substrate you are at high risk of entering a mini cycle. Let things settle for at least a few weeks before making any more changes.

Soldato
Trim the roots right down and replant, it should re-establish its self within a few weeks. If it keeps floating up just weigh it down with a small stone for a few days.

I wouldn't change the filter (again) for awhile, as you changed the tank and substrate you are at high risk of entering a mini cycle. Let things settle for at least a few weeks before making any more changes.

Yeah I was planning on leaving it a few weeks just want to know which filter to go for as everything I've read and heard says the one included is a load of guff...

Not even sure what type of plant it is I have, but it didn't seem to root particularly well in sand either. Had I had more time I'd have put some soil down first and gotten some more plants.

Was worried about the mini cycle, though I'm hoping all the bio film on the bog wood and ornament etc will help combat that, also added some Seachem Stability I had left over as a precaution.

Oddly down to 1 cherry shrimp from 6 with zero signs what happened to the others and with the old tank cracking it's been completely pulled apart and checked. Tank is lacking some much need colour now but asking where P&H likely to get any cherry shrimp in within the next few weeks I'm told they're seasonal???

Obviously going to be leaving it for a while but what would you guys recommend as far as stocking is concerned? Currently have the male betta, 5 penguin tetra, 1 guppy, 2 zebra snails, 3 albino cory's and 1 cherry shrimp so the new tank is looking pretty sparse and colour void.

Soldato
Cherry's aren't seasonal, they breed all year round, all the time. Their supplier is likely just out.

I wouldn't do anything with the stocking, especially not for awhile.

Soldato
Any ideas on CO2 kits that I can use on my 55L tank?
Ideally looking for something with a proper glass diffuser rather then a bubble counter.

Need something that's going to fit under here.

WaLQUqy.jpg

Soldato
So I'm losing fish in the past hour 2 penguin fish have died, I think the shrimp maybe dead and the remaining 3 penguins and guppy are swimming at the top of the tank with their noses out the water.

The corys and beta seem fine and there's no sign of infection on the deceased. Any ideas?

Soldato
Thinking its a lack of oxygen now...

Changed 25% and they're behaving normal again. Tank is one day old with new heater, filter with cycled media.

Temp is stable at 26c, water parameters are as expected with such a massive change...

P&h is my closest pet supply place, what am I best picking up tomorrow to fix this? The included filter hangs in the water from the rim of the tank, there doesn't seem to be much aeration taking place like there was with the fluval edge filter.

I really work hard to keep my fish alive and don't want to lose more...

Soldato
Thinking its a lack of oxygen now...

Changed 25% and they're behaving normal again. Tank is one day old with new heater, filter with cycled media.

Temp is stable at 26c, water parameters are as expected with such a massive change...

P&h is my closest pet supply place, what am I best picking up tomorrow to fix this? The included filter hangs in the water from the rim of the tank, there doesn't seem to be much aeration taking place like there was with the fluval edge filter.

I really work hard to keep my fish alive and don't want to lose more...

Air stone and pump, if you did a water change and they are happier id stick with my original ammonia poisoning guess. Get a test kit and post the results

Soldato
You say parameters are 'as expected' but what is the exact ammonia and nitrite reading?

Given the changes you just made this is likely the problem and you may have lost your 'cycle'.

Ammonia/nitrite burns the gills and causes fish to appear to not have enough oxygen. Any ammonia/nitrite in the tank will see off cherry shrimp most of the time.

Soldato
You say parameters are 'as expected' but what is the exact ammonia and nitrite reading?

Given the changes you just made this is likely the problem and you may have lost your 'cycle'.

Ammonia/nitrite burns the gills and causes fish to appear to not have enough oxygen. Any ammonia/nitrite in the tank will see off cherry shrimp most of the time.

My levels are:

Ph - 6.0

Ammonia - 1.0ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 10ppm

Some of the reviews on the tank do suggedt similar problems with the filter, but I didn't think my levels where bad enough to kill off my fish.

Soldato
So water changes & dosing with Seachem stability and prime it is then...

How do you guys feel about me adding another filter, running both while it cycles and then removing the stock I believe interpet filter?

Soldato
^^ Prime does the same thing.

My levels are:

Ph - 6.0

Ammonia - 1.0ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 10ppm

Some of the reviews on the tank do suggedt similar problems with the filter, but I didn't think my levels where bad enough to kill off my fish.

The issue isn't with the filter, as long as its moving water over the media its fine. The problem is that you have lost a shed load of bacteria due to the tank and substrate change. You need time to build it back up.

Is that PH correct? Seems really low for tap water, almost all of the UK is hard/alkaline (7.0+).

So water changes & dosing with Seachem stability and prime it is then...

This, and do nice big water changes every day, the cycle will come back much quicker this time. It will likely only take a few days if you saved all the old media.

How do you guys feel about me adding another filter, running both while it cycles and then removing the stock I believe interpet filter?

That's ok but there are drawbacks and it comes with its own issues.

There could be too much flow which is now blowing the fish around the tank.

You'll need to run both for weeks though, most of the bacteria will be concentrated in the old filter. As soon as you remove right away as you are suggesting you'll be back at square one. Running them side by side for weeks will mean the bacteria slowly colonies the new filter but again you'll likely trigger a mini cycle as soon as you remove the old one.

Most would recommend just dropping the old filter media into the new filter but that also has its own issues in small internal filters. Most of the time the one set of media doesn't fit into another filter. You end up having to use part old and part new and is what I suspect happened this time. If you cant fit all of the old media in, you'll risk triggering a cycle.

There is no perfect solution, you always risk triggering a cycle when you change the filtration. You can only mitigate the risk and not completely remove it.

Back
Top Bottom