Your current Fish tank Setups!

Glad to see you finally got there and that you’re taking it slow :)

We have about 20 baby fish in our turtle tank.

Hopefully adding some more stock across our tanks soon. Budget refreshes end of this month. Looking forward to getting frogs in the planted tank.

Last edited:
Any recommendations on pellet food?

I've bought some brine shrimp for the evening, but in the morning I was looking to give him something easier to prepare before work.

Has anyone on here besides me have Leopard Bushfish, by any chance?

I started with five in 2010, one literally vanished within weeks, with three others dying of presumed old age in the last couple of years. Always been fed dried food, mostly Tetra Prima granules.

I thought the last one was dead ~18 months ago, but moved it to another tank and he/she is still with me, despite one "greyed out" eye... Barely!

Had huge trouble getting it to eat initially after the move, tried numerous dried foods, then hit gold with floating AquaCare sticks infused with garlic. But after a month or so, wouldn't touch them.

Switched to mini Hikari sinking carnivore pellets and they were great for over a year, had to drop pellet in front of bushfish and eventually would be seen falling and be swallowed, sometimetimes had to grab missed pellet up to ~20 times before it was swallowed!

Used to eat up to ~10 pellets per day, but gradually number reduced to one or two daily.

But the last month has been heart-wrenching, barely eaten a thing, spits out most/all of pellet or any other food I've tried.

Maybe it's simply old age and it's shutting down, 14 seems pretty old for a C. acoutirostre in the hobby.

Last edited:
Trying to keep the tank cool, had to get imaginative.

kegFcTQ.png

should be getting back into the hobby over the next 6 months or so, bit rubbish that i have no where for a big tank anymore. Looking at a 3-4 ft tank which limits what i would normally go for in terms of fish.
Think it will be a case of have a trip to Pier and see what they have in that's off interest. Think most of the polypterus species are out along with most of the channa species, oscars will be too big so might go for something different like a catfish or pleco setup with a bunch of smaller fish and maybe a centre piece fish. God knows what that will end up being. #

Any recommendations on pellet food?

I've bought some brine shrimp for the evening, but in the morning I was looking to give him something easier to prepare before work.

I’ll take a look when I next visit ours. We have a mix of flake/pellets for the auto feeder when we aren’t around and then frozen shrimp when we are. Our fish have grown, they are easily getting through a couple of frozen blocks each time we feed them.

Trying to keep the tank cool, had to get imaginative.

kegFcTQ.png

The top off is usually enough, I’ve put fans on it previously and we’ve considered a chiller. During a prolonged hot spell we’d probably have to do one of the above. I’ve seen people use ice packs too.

a frozen water filled coke bottle will keep the temp down (keep a few so you can cycle them), i suspect a fan will help evaporation which you probably dont want.
Ice pack works as well but you wouldn't want one leaking into the tank in that rare instance.

Wish I had a closer fish shop.

Been trying to get lil Chaz to eat pellets in the morning. When I go back to work, I don't want to have to deal with defrosting brine shimp in the morning. I am not a morning person.
Anyway he has not been playing ball, so now I got very small pellets over the sand and rock work.

Drove 40 min to a fish shop to pick up a single red legged hermit crab.
Tanks to new for a full CUC yet, I don't have any algae. But I thought a single crab should have enough left over food in the tank to keep him happy.

Well even the crab doesn't want to know about these pellets.

You can see little dimples in the sand where he's been wandering at night and he didn't go anywhere near them.
This morning, I put him right in the middle of all the pellets. He did a big u-turn and went back to the front of the tank.

giphy.gif

So after another long journey down the cluster**** that is the M20, I now have a nassarius snail.

Warming the lil guy up right now, but I'm hoping he isn't a fussy eater!

None of our crabs or shrimp have touched the pellets in the way they are meant to. They all seem to enjoy dried seaweed when I put it in though. We started with 5 hermit crabs, a couple didn't survive the early stages of the tank. It’s an expensive hobby. We’ve lost a few things along the way, but that seems to be part of it, despite our stable parameters. You get quite attached too, I miss our Royal Gramma and Conch.

We lost a female guppy this week, but I think she had already birthed the 40 or so babies that we now have. Somehow the turtles seem to be leaving them alone. The tank is so fun to watch. Pink bellies are an interesting breed, you’d think they’d chill on land, but one seems to prefer to sleep under a rock at the bottom on the tank, having to come up for air pretty often. They have no shortage of quiet ‘on land’ chill out spaces.

Still waiting to get frogs for our planted tank and more clean up crew for the turtle tank. Based on the filters it is keeping pretty clean though, but until things grow I guess over 100 gallons is a lot of water for what is in there.

Obligatory pictures…

Tiny baby fish in the middle:

Best half of the reef:

Plants having been trimmed:

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to wait at least another month or wait for an algae bloom before I even thought about a CUC. But this pellet situation has really forced my hand, they're far to small to pick up.
I just hope there's enough food in there for the hermit crab, I was hoping he'd go for the pellets.

The new snail is in!
I'm suprised at how fast she is. At running away from food!

Dropped her in right on top of the pellets and she sped right to the corner of the tank and dug down.

VhUIS4P.jpeg

I hope she comes out tonight when the lights are off to do her job!

Starting to put a bit more food into the tank, the turtles are eating more and there are a lot more baby fish now. The turtles are still small, but so much more active.

I’m surprised the turtles aren’t interested in eating the baby fish, we are keeping them well fed I guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom