Your current Fish tank Setups!

beautiful. I really want to set up a reef tank (have been out of the hobby a while but never scratched the itch) but I don't think it will ever happen as I travel a lot. What is the longest you are comfortable leaving the tank for?

Good question. I think the longest I’ve left it for is 6-7 days. It would probably be fine for longer, but I start to worry about it. The auto feeder takes care of most and the fish/coral has been chosen to not be overly fussy, so the occasional missed dosing doesn’t seem to cause any issue. The ATO maintains the water and has a big reserve. Sudden temperature swings (cold nights, heat waves) are an issue being an upstairs room, if I can’t open/close windows/tank lid accordingly. Funny enough, it probably fares better when we aren’t there with a more consistent feeding regime and the lights mostly off in the room preventing any algae growth.

I’d put a camera on it for peace of mind if it wasn’t for our difficult WiFi setup in work.

Last edited:
Think they longest I did was about a month. I was quite sick so couldn't do any water changes or dosing. Thankfully I had people who could feed the fish and top off the water.

That was a mature 400l tank, so was quite stable at the time.
That was 20 years ago with pretty basic gear. There's so much more gear out there now to automate things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom