Your experience with OLED burn-in

Caporegime
Depends on your definition of normal use.

Well that's the thing, most people who have them on here are using them for far more than normal use. Hours of gaming with static images on screen and their panel (mine also) is still fine with no signs of burn in. I've had my B7 nearly three years and I took a number of photographs of the panel on arrival in case of any issues and it looks the same now as it did back then.

Who knows, it may eventually have issues but by that point, 5+ years of ownership I'll likely have moved on to a newer one with HDMI 2.1 and even more features that protect against image retention and burn in.

Perfect tech doesn't exist, you can pay tens of thousands of pounds for consumer technology and it will still have drawbacks.

Caporegime
^^

Exactly.

People always go on about burn in on oled, yet they are quick to forget that LCD tvs have just as many, if not more issues, not to mention more problems in general, which are common place with LCD now i.e. bleed, grey blacks, halo'ing etc.

Also, I love how the ones who always keep going on about oled burn in reference rtings flawed test to prove the point and say how the tech. shouldn't be sold, yet, ignore the issues being shown with the lcd displays in this flawed test....

J30s27zl.png.jpg Hc38kHFl.png.jpg

Soldato
^^

Exactly.

People always go on about burn in on oled, yet they are quick to forget that LCD tvs have just as many, if not more issues, not to mention more problems in general, which are common place with LCD now i.e. bleed, grey blacks, halo'ing etc.

Also, I love how the ones who always keep going on about oled burn in reference rtings flawed test to prove the point and say how the tech. shouldn't be sold, yet, ignore the issues being shown with the lcd displays in this flawed test....

J30s27zl.png.jpg Hc38kHFl.png.jpg
That ips screen is not doing so well, is that showing burn in on the corners of the oled?

Soldato
That ips screen is not doing so well, is that showing burn in on the corners of the oled?
I gathered that, just thought it was wierd about the IPS, its like the opposite of burn in and the backlight has died.

indeed he's dead Jim ...
if he had given us the link, rtings comment was https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

• The LEDs of the UJ6300 appear to have died, and so the image is unwatchable. Note that to keep a constant brightness of 175 nits across these three TVs the backlight of the UJ6300 was turned up to maximum, while the other TVs achieved this brightness at a lower backlight/OLED Light setting. This may mean that it has been operating at a higher temperature, contributing to the failure.
do that would just be a replacement under the guarantee, a friday afternoon tv.

Soldato

Fun fact: Even LG's phones developed severe image retention with their LCDs. But that comparison is particularly misleading because 1) it's a bottom of the barrel TV, from LG which is already bottom of the barrel for LCDs, and 2) it's a single failure & would have been replaced within warranty with no qualms. Also not the Samsung didn't fail. On the other hand, get burn-in and LG's gonna tell you to go pound sand, but then ofc we know all that since we can clearly see warranty policies & know people's experiences with both. And certainly most retailers want to offer you a repair even less. I think in the US & UK you have generally more options for recourse, eg Bestbuy warranty in US, RS in UK is supposed to be good(?) but I know not all retailers bother. I think it was some people arguing with John Lewis when they ran into burn in issues and they didn't budge, etc. Certainly in Europe at large you need a lot of confidence in your luck as far as these issues go, because most shops just tell you to take a hike & LG Europe is also not particularly good with CS.

Associate
i have an update. LG UK have agreed to replace the panel for £200. Thats parts, labour and courier. I think all the interest and bad publicity that the image of my screen has caused on the AV forums has helped my case. this is not has good as the free repairs for sets under 4 years old LG US has been offering, but has the set is nearly 3 years old I am happy enough. thanks to you guys for all your help and advice.

Soldato
Can’t find it on my C9 tbh ??

All settings - General - About this TV - TV Information. Then scroll down to the bottom.

kktqgbor.ueu.jpg

Soldato
All settings - General - About this TV - TV Information. Then scroll down to the bottom.

kktqgbor.ueu.jpg

Mine is different to yours. At the bottom of that menu I have “Dolby Vision” version 21.23. Below the webOS TV Version I have “Available internal storage”.

I don’t have anything with total power on time... ?

Soldato
What webos version is yours?

Otherwise it might be a UK thing, I'm not in the UK so there may be differences between regions.

you will still be able to see the power on time in the service menu, but I've never researched how to get into the service menu cause you can change stuff in there that you shouldn't be able to and I'm worried it may void my warranty so I left it alone

Soldato
What webos version is yours?

Otherwise it might be a UK thing, I'm not in the UK so there may be differences between regions.

you will still be able to see the power on time in the service menu, but I've never researched how to get into the service menu cause you can change stuff in there that you shouldn't be able to and I'm worried it may void my warranty so I left it alone

Same version as yours. Must be a U.K. thing.

Soldato
Is burn in that common? I've only experienced OLED on phones but never had any burn in issues but wanting to buy a OLED TV (hopefully a 2019 C9) but all this talk about burn in has me concerned

TJM

TJM

Associate
A lot of OLEDs have been sold and pretty much everyone with burn-in posts about it online, which can give the wrong impression.

Anecdotal evidence alert: I game on my B6 and the screen is as good as the day I bought it (i.e. by far the best TV I've ever owned). I haven't tried leaving news tickers running across it for several hours a day since rolling news is terrible.

Soldato
A lot of OLEDs have been sold and pretty much everyone with burn-in posts about it online, which can give the wrong impression.

Anecdotal evidence alert: I game on my B6 and the screen is as good as the day I bought it (i.e. by far the best TV I've ever owned). I haven't tried leaving news tickers running across it for several hours a day since rolling news is terrible.

I did think that would be the case. I do most my gaming at my desk anyway but we do watch a bit of news in the morning whilst getting ready for work. that's only about 30 minutes a day at best though.

I figured it should be fine but then again it's normal to have these concerns when spending the most I've ever spent on a TV. Upgrading from a 4 year old Samsung 4K TV that cost about £500 at the time so it was never a great set to begin with!

Back
Top Bottom