Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
Burn in cumulative not concurrent. And my phone tracks screen time - over my ownerships I consistently have the screen on for 5 hours each day which means I have over 5000 hours of usage so far.
I am surprised that phones never seem to suffer from it, after all there must be more phones with oleds than oled TVs out there so you'd imagine it would be a big thing.

Caporegime
Doesn't surprise me. You simply cant watch programs like that on an OLED.

There's plenty of people who do and have no issues. Fair enough if you watch it every single day for the full duration with the OLED light set very high. I've seen a few users who like to use the full 100 on SDR content so they still get the image pop :/

The 7 series models don't have the logo dimming feature either.

Soldato
Tellys last too long anyway, everyone wants a new telly every couple of years.

I've got loads of the damn things, I give them away, they never break.

not everyone can afford that but yes I know what you mean I fall into that category I change my TV every 2 or 3 years like Inchange my phone. Whenever I buy a new one I tell myself I will keep it for 5 years at least but then 2 or 3 years some new cool must have feature cones out - in the past triggers for my upgrade itch has been quantum dot, then It was HDR, then it was OLED and then it was 4k120hz and hdmi2.1

Soldato
With oled you really have to check your viewing habits before buying one. If you watch a lot of channels with static logos or do a lot of gaming then you are better off with a qled. I mainly watch TV series and films, so perfect for my use. Never had any permanent burn on mine.

Soldato
not everyone can afford that but yes I know what you mean I fall into that category I change my TV every 2 or 3 years like Inchange my phone. Whenever I buy a new one I tell myself I will keep it for 5 years at least but then 2 or 3 years some new cool must have feature cones out - in the past triggers for my upgrade itch has been quantum dot, then It was HDR, then it was OLED and then it was 4k120hz and hdmi2.1
Yeah, I always go for a 5 year guarantee, think i've only claimed a couple of times over many years, sometime ago, maybe 7 or 8 years got a new panel for an lcd, telly is still going strong.

Currently using a 42 lcd as a monitor for work must be at least 10 years old.

Soldato
With oled you really have to check your viewing habits before buying one. If you watch a lot of channels with static logos or do a lot of gaming then you are better off with a qled. I mainly watch TV series and films, so perfect for my use. Never had any permanent burn on mine.

Yeah I only watch moviesm. It's a shame though as 4k gaming at 120hz freesync would look ace. Suppose if oled was a week's wage is game on it.

Soldato
There's plenty of people who do and have no issues. Fair enough if you watch it every single day for the full duration with the OLED light set very high. I've seen a few users who like to use the full 100 on SDR content so they still get the image pop :/

The 7 series models don't have the logo dimming feature either.

Its cumulative, if you watch these programs regardless of light setting you will get burn in. Its just a question when, not if. Thats just how the tech is.

Soldato
Its cumulative, if you watch these programs regardless of light setting you will get burn in. Its just a question when, not if. Thats just how the tech is.
Yep, but hopefully you can delay the onset by reducing oled light strength and watching varied content.

I say hopefully, I've only had my c9 a few months, did notice it defaulted to oled 100 on cinema though so you have to keep an eye on it , anyhow it is a very good picture but not sure it's worth it over qled.

The thing is very thin but heavy so feels very risky if you want to move it.

Caporegime

So why are there examples of other users on 6 and 7 series models who've watched news channels on and off for the past 2-3 years who've got zero burn in on their panel?

I'm on a C9 now but I played FIFA for hours on my B7 and I tested it rigorously before selling it on and there was no retention or burn it at all where the scoreboard was sat in that game over hundreds of hours.

Soldato
So why are there examples of other users on 6 and 7 series models who've watched news channels on and off for the past 2-3 years who've got zero burn in on their panel?

Because you will always find an example of anything, but the tech is not suited for watching static logos for any length of time. I dont see why people even argue against that.

Caporegime
It is inherent to the technology, just because it hasn't happened yet, does not mean it will not happen.

Well with no sign of it 3-4 years in with thousands of hours logged I'm sure they won't be sat around waiting for it to occur.

This back and forth was in response to your original point above though about "you simply can't watch programs like that on an OLED" when it's quite clear that many users can :confused:

Soldato
Well with no sign of it 3-4 years in with thousands of hours logged I'm sure they won't be sat around waiting for it to occur.

This back and forth was in response to your original point above though about "you simply can't watch programs like that on an OLED" when it's quite clear that many users can :confused:

Not many out there who have been watching news channels daily for 3/4 years without burn in. They would be on the earlier panels as well, no logo dimming, different pixel structure and even more susceptible than the newer OLEDs.

Soldato
I'll have had my B7 2 years in June, and I have really bad screen burn. Specifically the Good Morning Britain logo, it's a real red pixel killer.
Yep my C6 has the same logo burn in and that was from 1hr in the morning viewing.

it’s also burned in the logo from one of the kids channels.

Both orange.

I could get the panel swapped as it’s got 5 years warranty but would lose the 3D if I went this route.

Back
Top Bottom