Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
Is burn in that common? I've only experienced OLED on phones but never had any burn in issues but wanting to buy a OLED TV (hopefully a 2019 C9) but all this talk about burn in has me concerned

A few have had it but if you look at the numbers sold it’s not many. It’s something to be aware of but I would not worry too much just enjoy the tv.

Associate
Enjoying it will be the easy part. Put off a few movies/shows that I've wanted to watch until we get the new TV.

Do it, I started really enjoying films, Netflix etc again after I got my OLED. If you're blown away by the image, which you will be on good quality content with the right screen settings, then it makes the experience even more enjoyable. Takes gaming to another level too for me.

Hell, even the missus will occasionaly whimper "yeah, it's pretty decent that TV isn't it?", words never heard before.

Soldato
Speaking of settings. Is it worth getting the TV professionally calibrated? Was looking and it seems to be about ~£300. Having a hard enough time justifying that we need to spend almost £1800 on a TV. I think that'll be a hard sell!

Soldato
Buy the kit and do it yourself. Not quite so accurate but near enough and you can then do any future TVs monitors etc you may purchase

Plus it's cheaper

Soldato
It's not that difficult took me an hour or two to get the gist plenty of tutorials on YouTube avsforum etc

Yes the calibration kit not quite so accurate but I bet difficult to discern with your eyes

Plus it's more satisfying

Man of Honour
Speaking of settings. Is it worth getting the TV professionally calibrated? Was looking and it seems to be about ~£300. Having a hard enough time justifying that we need to spend almost £1800 on a TV. I think that'll be a hard sell!
I’ve had both of mine done and for me it was absolutely worth it.

Soldato
I’ve had both of mine done and for me it was absolutely worth it.

Thing is does the calibration get screwed up if LG release a firmware that alters the PQ?

Have a B6 and some of the firmware has changed the picture, be it the black glow they introduced on the B6 or just general improvements in areas such as shadow detail.

Man of Honour
Thing is does the calibration get screwed up if LG release a firmware that alters the PQ?

Have a B6 and some of the firmware has changed the picture, be it the black glow they introduced on the B6 or just general improvements in areas such as shadow detail.
I’ve had a few firmware releases and it’s never been messed up.

Soldato

My C9 has received several firmware updates since release and none have changed any settings.

but... in theory yes a firmware update could throw off the calibration

Soldato
Interestingly enough, Rtings is discovering some potential risk for burn in on Samsung's 2020 QLED's.

More testing is required, but some models are showing shadowed images after static content

tu8000-retention-1-large.jpg

Soldato
I will have had my B8 for one year next week, It has been used as a desktop monitor since day one but also with various content too.

My rule of thumb has been not to use 100% oled light unless I am watching an HDR movie/show. I have always followed this rule with my mobile phones too & never experienced burn in & I've been using oled since the Galaxy S2 mobile.

Soldato
I leave my iPhone OLED on auto brightness which means most of the time it's under 50% brightness unless standing in the sun. And not a single case of burn in after 3 years

Soldato
I leave my iPhone OLED on auto brightness which means most of the time it's under 50% brightness unless standing in the sun. And not a single case of burn in after 3 years
Phone screens are not normally left on non stop all day for many hours

for example my living TV is normally on from around 8am till gone midnight

Soldato
Phone screens are not normally left on non stop all day for many hours

for example my living TV is normally on from around 8am till gone midnight

Burn in cumulative not concurrent. And my phone tracks screen time - over my ownerships I consistently have the screen on for 5 hours each day which means I have over 5000 hours of usage so far.

Back
Top Bottom