Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
whilst LG and others do not provide Quality/acceptance criteria, that works in the favour of the (industrious) consumer, you can just use the test methodology from rtings say, (dirty screen / banding / backlight bleed) and with a reasonable camera provide evidence of non-conformance, to justify a return.
[had previously explored using dslrs's to use as a colour sensor to help in monitor calibration with a bit oif matlab/octave]

Woppy101, whats you view on the pixel flashing and low bandwidth visible macro-blocking ?

Soldato
whilst LG and others do not provide Quality/acceptance criteria, that works in the favour of the (industrious) consumer, you can just use the test methodology from rtings say, (dirty screen / banding / backlight bleed) and with a reasonable camera provide evidence of non-conformance, to justify a return.
[had previously explored using dslrs's to use as a colour sensor to help in monitor calibration with a bit oif matlab/octave]

Woppy101, whats you view on the pixel flashing and low bandwidth visible macro-blocking ?
LG TVs struggle with it the most mate and always have, there is none on my AF9 and as far as I’m aware Panasonic OLEDs deal with it just as well as the Sony’s

Soldato
To go through 18 tv’s is crazy....

I’m pretty fussy and I have not had any issues with my B6.

I must admit I doubt I will upgrade it for a while as I could not be doing going through loads of sets...

Soldato
To go through 18 tv’s is crazy....

I’m pretty fussy and I have not had any issues with my B6.

I must admit I doubt I will upgrade it for a while as I could not be doing going through loads of sets...
What I will say is it’s the first time I have gone through that amount of TVs, my record before that is 4.
I have put it down to LG supplying panels to far more manufacturers than before, up until last year LG display only supplied panels to LG, Loewe, Sony and Panasonic, who apart from LG only had 1 model for sale in low numbers. now they supply to LG, Loewe, B&O, Sony, Panasonic, Philips, toshiba, ElectriQ and god knows how many Chinese manufacturers all in far higher numbers, All of which now have many models you can buy instead of just the one. So I think a lot of the panels that would have ended up rejected and in the bin a few years ago are now making their way into TVs because of the demand for OLED panels.

Last edited:
Soldato
Could well be they do supply lots of other company’s now. I will be hanging on to my B6 for a good few years yet I think....
I think once the 10.5g plant comes on line next year or the year after we should see better uniformity and Quality, plus you have top emission production coming soon which should also sort out uniformity issues.

Soldato
Gone through 18 tellys wtf, surely after 3 or 4 you would think this tech isn't for you, what a fussy customer you are lol, I would have just banned you from buying anything ever again lol.

Soldato
Gone through 18 tellys wtf, surely after 3 or 4 you would think this tech isn't for you, what a fussy customer you are lol, I would have just banned you from buying anything ever again lol.
Considering I have had every generation of OLED and not had the same problem as this year, I didn’t realise people are allowed to be fussy with their purchases any more, I suppose it’s a good job you aren’t in charge of curry’s tech support ehh?

Soldato
And? It’s only my time wasted
the resources of the companies too .. post up a picture of the abnormalities you saw on last return ... how objective is your analysis ?
(I can imagine using a colour calibration tool eg eye-one I've used to to get data)

I'm surprised you didn't say enough, the technologies immature for me and that honey-moon problems would not be repeated during ongoing ownership.
but you said too that previous oled incarnations had given no problems, have you become more discerning.?

Soldato
John Lewis banned someone a few months back iirc for repeated returns.

Did indeed - I'm sure there have been many, but when I worked there, we had a meeting around someone being banned from the store, and was shown his photo and various personas he's used.

Slightly different though, as he was suspected to be buying expensive TVs for big football games and then returning them quoting he simply didn't like the picture.

If the TV is defective, I think you should be able to return it up to 5 times before a shop goes "hey mate, clearly this TV and their manufacturing process isn't right for you - no more buying and returning"

At the end of the day, you don't have the right to buy a TV

Soldato
the resources of the companies too .. post up a picture of the abnormalities you saw on last return ... how objective is your analysis ?
(I can imagine using a colour calibration tool eg eye-one I've used to to get data)

I'm surprised you didn't say enough, the technologies immature for me and that honey-moon problems would not be repeated during ongoing ownership.
but you said too that previous oled incarnations had given no problems, have you become more discerning.?
The biggest problem on this years OLED TVs was pink and yellow tint on any white screen like snow and clouds, which would also make grass have a brown tint in the middle of the pitch, I will have to see if I have any pictures left as I got rid of them in November after I had my last tv replaced.
People seem to be getting their panties in a twist over this, let me reiterate, the process with curry’s is to phone up tech support, explain the problem that I’m seeing and on what content and then provide pictures on request(they don’t always want them) and then the person on the other side of the phone then decided if HE/SHE felt the tv was faulty and not of satisfactory quality and authorised a replacement. I don’t see how anyone can think I’m just phoning up saying “this one is not good enough send me another”. Curry’s are the ones making the final decision not me.

Caporegime
A local store up here banned some autistic fella as he wanted everything to be perfect and his way, and even started having a go at the delivery drivers saying they could be causing the issues due to the way the TV's were being handled...

If Curry's are letting you do it with so much ease then it is indeed on them, but you would think either the customer or retailer would come to a decision that after 18 TV's the flaw was in the manufacturing process. LG are very lucky that most consumers don't notice or even look for any defects.

Soldato
A local store up here banned some autistic fella as he wanted everything to be perfect and his way, and even started having a go at the delivery drivers saying they could be causing the issues due to the way the TV's were being handled...

If Curry's are letting you do it with so much ease then it is indeed on them, but you would think either the customer or retailer would come to a decision that after 18 TV's the flaw was in the manufacturing process. LG are very lucky that most consumers don't notice or even look for any defects.
TBH I have always used curry’s to buy my TVs going back to my first plasma in 2006 and have never had a problem with them in all this time.

I gave up on LG after 13, all of which had pink and yellow tint, I then tried 2 Q9FNs which both had shocking DSE and then 3 Sony’s 1 had a panel failure 1 had really bad IR(which is what I came into the thread for) and my current one is perfect, none of the Sony’s had tint, which tells me it’s something to do with how LGs AR coating is applied which is causing the tint, as this is the first year of LG OLEDs that haven’t had a magenta hue on the screen when switched off.

Soldato
The biggest problem on this years OLED TVs was pink and yellow tint on any white screen like snow and clouds, which would also make grass have a brown tint in the middle of the pitch, I will have to see if I have any pictures left as I got rid of them in November after I had my last tv replaced.
People seem to be getting their panties in a twist over this, let me reiterate, the process with curry’s is to phone up tech support, explain the problem that I’m seeing and on what content and then provide pictures on request(they don’t always want them) and then the person on the other side of the phone then decided if HE/SHE felt the tv was faulty and not of satisfactory quality and authorised a replacement. I don’t see how anyone can think I’m just phoning up saying “this one is not good enough send me another”. Curry’s are the ones making the final decision not me.

From experience, they don't do that. They would suggest sending an engineer out to view the fault before authorising a repair / replacement.

You must have a lot of time on your hands to have that kind of drawn out discussion 18 times over.

Back
Top Bottom