Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
you sent the former back ... that sounds more like a manufacturing defect , and would not be tolerable ?

Is there an explanation of why bladerunner was mastered with lower nits ?
HDR sets might just scale of the brightness within the range available on the TV, so objectively BR and meg might appear just as bright,
the meg high brightnesses are obviously not reproducible on home tv's, and will be subject to the diverse lg or panasonic eotf curves, so maybe the product would be less consistant across tv's, vs blade runner.
Blade runner is barely exceeding the sustainable hdr on an oled, so maybe they have an eye on the target tv's too.
if you have sustained high brightness across multiple scenes on an oled, I assume it will not start backing off the brightness after the scenes have lasted more than, 10s, say.
(or whenever the abl cuts in) that would be un-natural , like enabling dynamic backlight options on a led.
I understand what your saying and yes mad max is a very bright movie, buts it’s only very bright in small portions of the screen which is why the abl doesn’t kick in as much, its only bright sustained scenes when you get the ABL but it’s very gradual and almost unnoticeable.
Yes if you were to put a Q9/ZF9 next to a OLED in a bright room without a doubt you would see how much brighter and more pop it has in HDR than the OLED, but then put that same tv in a normal lit/dark room and you you burn your eyes with the Q9/ZF9 where as the OLED will give you a better movie experience and no eye strain. Don’t get me wrong I’m not an OLED fanboy I have a 55XE9005 in my bedroom which I love and it is totaly perfect in every way, and if I could guarantee getting one as good as that uniformity wise in 65/75” I wouldn’t hesitate, I have tried 2 65Q9FNs and the DSE was horrendous on both.

Soldato
I edited my post, before you posted, to specify that 100 brightness is for HDR/Dolby Vision, not in SDR. As the Netflix and Youtube logo use one of the the brightest shades of red, that area is most likely using near max brightness. My brightness in SDR is 38.
Then you clearly have a bad/faulty panel because you shouldn’t get any sort of IR after a few seconds of an image in SD with OLED light at under 50

Soldato
So get it changed then, instead of coming on here and saying the whole technology is broken and saying that everyone’s tv will be doing the same thing

You're putting words in my mouth. I said, every TV I've seen has done it and I acknowledged that you say the opposite. My conclusion was that there is not enough data there to make a definitive statement one way or the other, especially as our testing/viewing methods most likely differ.

Soldato
You're putting words in my mouth. I said, every TV I've seen has done it and I acknowledged that you say the opposite. My conclusion was that there is not enough data there to make a definitive statement one way or the other, especially as our testing/viewing methods most likely differ.
Mate if you were on AVforums you would see that I’m very very picky when it comes to OLED TVs and I will only accept one that is close to perfect, probably the reason I went through 18 TVs this year to get this one and as I said only 3 showed any IR in the time scale you said

Soldato
Mate if you were on AVforums you would see that I’m very very picky when it comes to OLED TVs and I will only accept one that is close to perfect, probably the reason I went through 18 TVs this year to get this one and as I said only 3 showed any IR in the time scale you said

Well, I hope you got one you liked. Out of curiosity, who did you buy from or was it multiple shops? For me, Currys got a bit funny around the 3rd or 4th TV.

Soldato
Well, I hope you got one you liked. Out of curiosity, who did you buy from or was it multiple shops? For me, Currys got a bit funny around the 3rd or 4th TV.
Every one has been from curry’s but I know within 2 days if I have a good panel or not and they are much easier to deal with in the first 7 days. every time I phoned up and explained it’s was the same problem offered pictures of the problem and they sorted an exchange. I have always ordered online from curry’s and found them the best to deal with. It does depend on the brand though as they can authorise RMA on LG and Sony sets without contacting either company but other company’s like Samsung you have to deal with which can become a hassle.

Soldato
Something is clearly wrong with the product if it takes 18 attempts to achieve that.
Nope I’m just a picky person, most of the things I see normal people wouldn’t notice, same with DSE and banding on LCD sets most people don’t see it or think it’s normal where as I know different. It’s the old saying once you see it you can’t unsee it and it will bug you from then on

Soldato
I thought there was a running-in aspect on oled's too (more or less than led's i don't know) so 2 days could be insufficient to determine a good, or bad, panel.

I suppose curry's cannot blacklist customers ? ... a shop has to offer the product without discrimination ?

Soldato
I thought there was a running-in aspect on oled's too (more or less than led's i don't know) so 2 days could be insufficient to determine a good, or bad, panel.

I suppose curry's cannot blacklist customers ? ... a shop has to offer the product without discrimination ?
You will know how an OLED panel will settle after about 5 compensation cycles in regards to near black uniformity, but tint on the other hand will not change at all from day 1.
Why should anyone be blacklisted it’s the curry’s tech support that authorises an exchange, it’s not as if I’m or anyone else is phoning up and saying I’m not happy with this one and want another, I tell them what I’m seeing and in what situations and offer pictures and the person on the other end says if he thinks that’s ok or not and then sorts out an exchange.

Caporegime
If everybody sent back a TV for minor flaws manufacturers would only be able to sell a small fraction of their overall production and so the cost per TV would be astronomically higher - it probably wouldn't even be a viable business.

Soldato
If everybody sent back a TV for minor flaws manufacturers would only be able to sell a small fraction of their overall production and so the cost per TV would be astronomically higher - it probably wouldn't even be a viable business.

Then maybe they should build better products? Pretty sure there's something in consumer law about new products not having even minor defects, yet we're supposed to accept it on expensive TVs on the display panel itself?

I'd suggest it's more to do with maximising profits by getting away with as little as the public will put up with. We've seen massive variations in QC for the last few generations of TV technology, so they can't even get the panel tech consistently of the same level on the same product. Why should one person get a "good" panel and others have to put up with a "bad" one?

Caporegime
They are making screens with nearly 9 million pixels, if you make anything in that sort of quantity you're bound to have a few errors in manufacturing. It's alright saying "I'm paying £3.5k so it should be perfect" but if the standard required by manufacturers was perfection such TV's would simply not be affordable to consumers, we'd probably still be stuck with 720P TV's because it'd be more profitable for manufacturers. What would you prefer 720P with perfect panel or 4K TV with possibly 1-2 pixel defects that are only visible up close with a magnifying glass?

With regards to good vs bad panel the majority of people buying them don't notice minor issues because they don't forensically examine the panel. If you get an obviously bad panel then by all means return it but I think if you're returning 18 TV's in the space of a year your standards are set unrealistically high.

Soldato
They are making screens with nearly 9 million pixels, if you make anything in that sort of quantity you're bound to have a few errors in manufacturing. It's alright saying "I'm paying £3.5k so it should be perfect" but if the standard required by manufacturers was perfection such TV's would simply not be affordable to consumers, we'd probably still be stuck with 720P TV's because it'd be more profitable for manufacturers. What would you prefer 720P with perfect panel or 4K TV with possibly 1-2 pixel defects that are only visible up close with a magnifying glass?

With regards to good vs bad panel the majority of people buying them don't notice minor issues because they don't forensically examine the panel. If you get an obviously bad panel then by all means return it but I think if you're returning 18 TV's in the space of a year your standards are set unrealistically high.
Would you accept a brand new car with a door or panel a slightly different colour than the rest of the car? I’m sure you wouldn’t so why should I accept a tv that I don’t think is perfect?

Soldato
People buy TVs and then start testing them for things they will never see in normal content, it’s silly really. Returning 18 must have taken an age, simply not worth it for me :)

Back
Top Bottom