1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Favourite MP3 Software

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by SourChipmunk, Jul 28, 2020.

1. SourChipmunk

Sgarrista

With the ability to stream music from Pandora, Google, and Amazon (et. al.) and stream music videos from YouTube, I completely lost track of the library on my PC. Years ago, I ripped all my CDs and converted all my vinyl and cassettes -- which took a lot of time -- and have a wonderful old collection of MP3s on my PC. Yes, I still keep the originals in boxes for ownership reasons. :)

I have one 100-cassette rack under my desk because it's just a convenient place to keep it, usually out of the way of anything and well-hidden. Today, my 125 lb. Rottweiler puppy got a little rambunctious and knocked it over, leaving a pile of cassettes on my feet. In the process of putting them back in the rack, I was reminded of some old music and wondered if I still had it on my PC.

I plugged away at a few of the tracks using WMP and VLC, and began to wonder if there was any newer (free) software out there for playback.

I did a search on these forums but all the threads are really old now. So I'm looking for opinions on your current favourite MP3 playback software / library manager. Does anyone still use this media?

2. pooley

Mobster

check out MusicBee

3. SourChipmunk

Sgarrista

Actually, I'm trying it now based on a quick web search. Trying to see how well it works with the "play similar" stuff, and the Auto-DJ feature. So far, I like it. Looks like it has a lot of features I'll need to play with. :)

4. robj20

Sgarrista

I still like Winamp best.

5. SourChipmunk

Sgarrista

That's a blast from the past. I don't even have the installer on my PC anymore, but I'm sure it's on CD somewhere....

Since I found some old Rush rips, thought I'd share this tribute.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  6. alec

Hitman

swear by foobar2000

7. Glanza

Capodecina

foobar2000

8. jpaul

Capodecina

A player that supports ASIO or direct sound drivers, is my main requirement;
    so that you can deliver the bitstream directly to the soundcard or hdmi output, without going through the windows/android sound mixer and being re-sampled. at 48Khz

I mostly listen to tidal now, whose player does do that.

I believe foobar will do ASIO ?

9. MarcLister

Capodecina

I use MediaMonkey and that suffices for my simple and humble needs.

If you're interested in Winamp, there's a community version of it being developed. https://getwacup.com/

10. stockhausen

Capodecina

11. billyboyd

Wise Guy

Winamp - It really whips the llama's arghsss

Although I must admit it using and liking MusicBee.

12. TheVoice

Capodecina

I like Dopamine, it's not as feature-rich as Foobar and MusicBee but it's nice to use.

13. Haze

Mobster

I used Winamp for many years, but now on Foobar

14. stockhausen

Capodecina

Slight (very slight) change of topic, is it possible to convert a .AA (Audible Audio) file to .MP3 (or .FLAC) format?

15. The Old School Gamer

Hitman

Still using the last official Nullsoft WinAmp! release from 2013 (v5.666). :cool:
    It works when I click play, so never had any reason to look at anything else.