Your Gaming TV!

Soldato
If not 100% happy I'd send it back. It would bug me forever.

Thanks, I've been trying to tell myself that 'I'm not that bothered by it', but unfortunately it does bother me!

My only qualm is that I'll be stuck in an endless loop of having to replace them as there's no such thing as the perfect TV (i.e. without light bleed). Or, is there? I just don't know.

Soldato
There is a difference between light bleed and clouding, mine doesn't have great black uniformity but honestly I cannot be bothered to keep switching. If I was that fussed I'd have forked out for OLED.

Soldato
My LG C6V OLED:)

2w7ka4x.jpg

HDR on infamous second son looks gorgeous on it i have to say.

Soldato
That LG is gorgeous, but unfortunately I can't afford that kind of set up! Amazing quality, mind.

There is a difference between light bleed and clouding, mine doesn't have great black uniformity but honestly I cannot be bothered to keep switching. If I was that fussed I'd have forked out for OLED.

I thought the terms were used interchangeably.

What would you say mine has?

Soldato
That LG is gorgeous, but unfortunately I can't afford that kind of set up! Amazing quality, mind.

I thought the terms were used interchangeably.

What would you say mine has?

Not sure about the terms but I call it clouding/ blackuniformity. A good explanation here: Clouding

Mine has patches too but it's a lottery so I live with it. If a drop comes on the B6 OLEd I'll bite but hte Samsung will suffice for now

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm waiting to see how this years OLED panels turn out, specifically want one with a decent latency for gaming. Once they drop later in the year I will probably go for one. Focusing on a house deposit at the moment but fancy treating myself a decent tv once this years models are reviewed.

Soldato
I'm waiting to see how this years OLED panels turn out, specifically want one with a decent latency for gaming. Once they drop later in the year I will probably go for one. Focusing on a house deposit at the moment but fancy treating myself a decent tv once this years models are reviewed.

News is the new 2017 OLED models have a latency of 21ms which is a nice improvement over some of the 2016 models:)

Soldato
I want to get a new TV as I'm doing a lot more gaming and want to enjoy HDR content. However, it's a bloody minefield.

Currently I've got a Panasonic TX-P55VT65B Plasma which is awesome, but not great for gaming as these panels have a tendency to develop quite stubborn image retention if you leave static images (eg: HUD) up for too long. I'll spend an hour running screen wipe sometimes to completely eradicate IR from a gaming session (on a preset slightly darker than THX with PO) which gets annoying very quickly.

It looks like a terrible time to be looking for a new TV in all honesty. I can't believe that 4 years after buying my flagship TV, the premium sets on the market *still* have deal-breaking or plain annoying flaws.

I'm going to look at a DX902, LG B6 and KS8000 when I get a chance to see if it's worth changing over yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're going for the ks8000 I'd save the money and get the ks7000 instead.

I think it's almost all the same bar some brightness difference (which doesn't warrant the increase in cost)

Ive gone for a ks7000 55" for around £840, seemed to offer the best bang for buck to me.

Soldato
Ive gone for a ks7000 55" for around £840, seemed to offer the best bang for buck to me.
The problem I have is that I can't stand any cloudiness or halo effect in films. I'm also now used to a reference level picture in a dark room when watching BD/Netflix. :)

I sent back two LCD/LED TVs before I settled on the Panny Plasma because I couldn't handle the rubbish blacks and local dimming.

Things have probably moved on since then so I suppose the only way to find out is to audition them at RS. :D

Caporegime
I want to get a new TV as I'm doing a lot more gaming and want to enjoy HDR content. However, it's a bloody minefield.

Currently I've got a Panasonic TX-P55VT65B Plasma which is awesome, but not great for gaming as these panels have a tendency to develop quite stubborn image retention if you leave static images (eg: HUD) up for too long. I'll spend an hour running screen wipe sometimes to completely eradicate IR from a gaming session (on a preset slightly darker than THX with PO) which gets annoying very quickly.

It looks like a terrible time to be looking for a new TV in all honesty. I can't believe that 4 years after buying my flagship TV, the premium sets on the market *still* have deal-breaking or plain annoying flaws.

I'm going to look at a DX902, LG B6 and KS8000 when I get a chance to see if it's worth changing over yet.

gaming and plasma has never made any sense tbh.

buy a pc monitor and use that up close. keep the plasma for tv shows / movies.

no LCD will match your plasma for picture quality. not even a 4K one. OLED will beat it but they ain't cheap.

Soldato
Well actually the response is awesome on this TV and gaming is a wonderful experience when I don't have to worry about a static HUD. :)

I already sit close to my PC monitor upstairs but the whole idea is that I want to get away from gaming at a desk as much as possible.

Sofa gaming with Roccat SOVA/Steam Link for PC and a PS4 Pro is ultimate win. Just need to sort the TV situation out otherwise I can't justify upgrading to a 1080ti.

OLEDs is an option but I'm a bit concerned about motion issues and near black problems that have been mentioned.

Caporegime
Well actually the response is awesome on this TV and gaming is a wonderful experience when I don't have to worry about a static HUD. :)

I already sit close to my PC monitor upstairs but the whole idea is that I want to get away from gaming at a desk as much as possible.

Sofa gaming with Roccat SOVA/Steam Link for PC and a PS4 Pro is ultimate win. Just need to sort the TV situation out otherwise I can't justify upgrading to a 1080ti.

OLEDs is an option but I'm a bit concerned about motion issues and near black problems that have been mentioned.

Nothing to do with response it's the image retention.

most games have static images on the screen for long periods of time. fifa for instance has logos. destiny has radar, HUD, ammo counter, etc. in fact if you watch a tv channel with a logo on it, it will also retain it on the screen for some time afterwards (sky sports logo). input lag, etc has never been an issue on plasmas tbh and motion control is what they are renowned for.

If you want to upgrade from plasma. It has to be OLED. If you don't mind a sidegrade or even a downgrade then go for LCD. LCD cannot match plasma for black levels. It also has issues with backlight bleed, clouding, motion control, ghosting, etc. The bigger or cheaper you go the more apparent these are.

Back
Top Bottom