Your one favourite film of all time

Caporegime
As title guys, your one favourite film of all time. Just name that one film and a brief explanation of why you think/believe said film is good. This isnt a poll, but hopefully ill find some more good films to watch based on what i read here.:)

Ill start with inception, great cast, very intelligent original story, great direction, beautiful soundtrack. Ive probably watched it 6 or 7 times now as i enjoy it so much. But it would be interesting to see other peoples findings/views on films.:)

Man of Honour
Favourite film or the best film of all time? You might well get different answers from people, you certainly would from me. I'm assuming you're really asking about the best film of all time as my favourite film is objectively speaking pretty rubbish.

12 Angry Men is for my money the best film ever made. It's essentially all set in one room, there's very little action, the premise is simple, no soundtrack to speak of, it's all in black & white, there are almost no visual effects and yet I'd still rate it over pretty much every other film that I've ever seen (n.b. Casablanca is my honourable mention). The story and performances are all you've got to concentrate on and the acting is superlatively good, everyone plays their part brilliantly.

Soldato
Young Frankenstein

Absolutely perfect comedy film in every respect.

Wonder how many posts it will be before the first X number of "honoury" mentions?

Edit: Oh, the post above :)

Associate
Full Metal Jacket

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Today... is Christmas! There will be a magic show at zero-nine-thirty! Chaplain Charlie will tell you about how the free world will conquer Communism with the aid of God and a few Marines! God has a hard-on for Marines because we kill everything we see! He plays His games, we play ours! To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep heaven packed with fresh souls! God was here before the Marine Corps! So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?

Soldato
The Terminator.

I saw this film at the cinema in 85 and I thought it was awesome. I bought it on VHS when it was released, and this was before videos were sold to the public and cost me £54.75. I've seen The Terminator over 100 times and it'll always be my favourite film.

Man of Honour
The Usual suspects

Although no one asks the interesting question, most watched film tells far more, as they're usually less good films, but more enjoyable repeated.

Soldato
The Fast and the Furious.

;)

Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life for me.

But agree with The Shawshank Redemption too - all depends what mood i'm in, that goes for Star Wars, Pulp Fiction/Kill Bill, Schindler's List, One flew over the cuckoo's nest, Matrix, Raiders of the Lost Ark/Last Crusade, Gladiator, Back to the Future, Alien(s), Toy Story, Monty Python Holy Grail and Life of Brian, Jaws, and Groundhog Day/Ghostbusters.

Sorry, but i don't think i could narrow it down to just one :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The Usual suspects

Although no one asks the interesting question, most watched film tells far more, as they're usually less good films, but more enjoyable repeated.
Spoilers for the Usual Suspects below:
It's ok, but for me that film is ruined by the deception played on the audience. The twist is annoying because things you see things on camera that never actually happened and Keyser Söze never would have been there to see it happen or make it up.

As a result the audience is forced to accept what they are seeing must have been true and the storytelling 'flashback' nature is just a vehicle for getting the audience to that point in time. Then the twist is revealed and it's complete bull. Sorry, it's annoying.
Spoilers for the video game 'Heavy Rain'.
The video game heavy rain played the exact same trick, with the villian thinking to himself 'hmmm I wonder who the killer is', which obviously would never happen.

Soldato
Too hard a question, but 12 Monkeys always comes to mind when it's asked.

Not the best film of all time, but is excellent, and was somewhat surprising.

Man of Honour
Spoilers for the Usual Suspects below:
It's ok, but for me that film is ruined by the deception played on the audience. The twist is annoying because things you see things on camera that never actually happened and Keyser Söze never would have been there to see it happen or make it up.

As a result the audience is forced to accept what they are seeing must have been true and the storytelling 'flashback' nature is just a vehicle for getting the audience to that point in time. Then the twist is revealed and it's complete bull. Sorry, it's annoying.
Spoilers for the video game 'Heavy Rain'.
The video game heavy rain played the exact same trick, with the villian thinking to himself 'hmmm I wonder who the killer is', which obviously would never happen.

:confused:
I think you've missed the point if the film. Off course it would happen. You generally don't go to a police station and confess if you want to get away with it. It's his story to the cops.

Soldato
Fight Club, by far. A perfect film :)

The Wolf of Wall Street is up there as well. Only watched it once so can't say at the moment but I'm sure it'll be in my top 10 of all time at least.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom