Your top ten youtube channels?

Soldato
Critical Drinker mainly bashes Marvel and Disney, or states the obvious.

On the surface of it, it might look like a lot of Marvel/Disney bashing but he does plenty of other stuff, especially enjoy his 'Drinker Recommends videos'

Just did a quick count of his last 25/30 videos, about a quarter is in the Disney stable so it's not his mainstay but he definitely has an issue with a lot of what they put out. His top 10 videos has one marvel and one star wars.

A lot of what he says might be obvious but he will also pick up on subtleties that I might have missed, simply put, I just enjoy his content, his dislikes/likes align broadly with my own but i've been watching since he was a tiny subscriber based unknown.

He's at his best when he tones it down and just does a little video essay, things like this

Caporegime
Unfortunately his negative videos get more views, and since his income is based on Youtube views he has a financial incentive to make those type of videos.

Vicious circle.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately his negative videos get more views, and since his income is based on Youtube views he has a financial incentive to make those type of videos.

Vicious circle.

I do wonder how much of his income comes from his youtube channel, I mean he is a very successful published author (written something like 20 novels now I think) and those make him quite a whack of money, both the paper versions and the audiobook versions. Would be interested to know which brings in the most money to him, his critical drinker channel or his collection of novels.

On the matter of youtube channels, most of the ones I frequent are gaming related but the major one which isnt is Bald and Bankrupt. Bald is an amazing presenter, seriously, his travel videos are so well done that they are better than most travel shows on TV, he could easily make a successful TV show if he chose.

Soldato
I do wonder how much of his income comes from his youtube channel, I mean he is a very successful published author (written something like 20 novels now I think) and those make him quite a whack of money, both the paper versions and the audiobook versions. Would be interested to know which brings in the most money to him, his critical drinker channel or his collection of novels.

Take with a big pinch of salt but this reckons around $300k - https://www.networthspot.com/the-critical-drinker/net-worth/

Never would have imagined that much tbh.

Associate
Can't be bothered to compile a list, but I tend to prefer dorkier channels from enthusiasts.

Linus can be annoying, so I prefer the more dulcet tones of LGR, as a weekly watch for example.

Youtube can be really niche, but TV companies can't have any complaints. They basically started the low budget trend with all their reality tv shows post millenium. People saw those and thought "yeah, I can make some money by doing a low budget show about building a chair from discarded cereal boxes"

JRS

JRS

Soldato
In no particular order...

Finnegan's Garage
Mark Rober
Vintage Space
Scott Manley
Jimmy Broadbent
Failrace
Mythical Kitchen
Airforceproud95
The Valleyfolk
Simone Giertz

Soldato
(In no Particular Order)

8 Bit Guy
Big Clive
Nostagliga Nerd
Matts off road recovery
Dave's Garage
Technology Connections
Colin Furze
Tim Hunkin
Ben Eater
Mikes Electric Stuff

Caporegime
I really don’t get YouTube. The videos have pretty poor production, they constantly beg for you to follow them, everything seems very staged, the acting is poor. Yea, I watch the odd video but I’ve yet to find anything I’d watch a lot of. A few three minute videos are grand but people are seriously giving up TV for it? I don’t get it.

/oldman

Erm, it's better production than the news when they are on location.

It is stage because it's not really a documentary, the person who owns the channel is often the camera man, the director, the script writer, produce and presenter. What i like best are food channels, some are very good, almost Antony Bourdain good. Even if they are not, that's how you find good places nobody has ever heard of (until now), from these locals living there who is giving it some spotlight.

Then there are the tech channels, they literally do it almost in a news reporting way, if you are into your tech, it's a must because they will review things the day it is out. Phones, graphic card, guitars, headphones and whatnot.

If you are into books, there are plenty of book channels where people talk about books. If you are into anime, there are endless videos for those too. Same for makeup, photography, every hobby.

It's a fantastic place for hobbies.

What i don't use it for, is watch these jokes channels, these pranks videos or celebs stuff. Basically most of the stuff on the main page. Not into that.

Plus, it is also a database for "How to", it's a video instructional database. What to know how to do something, just put it in YouTube instead of Google. You just watch how it's done, much quicker than text manual.

Channels I watch, in no particular order

LTT
Abroad in Japan
Mike Chen/Strictly Dumpling
Car Wow
Cari Cakes
Doug DeMuro
Best Ever Food Review Show
Johnny Harris
James Hoffmann
MKBHD
Kara & Nate

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive got about 20 subs as for the longest time I didn't sign in to YouTube or see the point in subscribing. My favourite YouTube content is probably:

LGR (retro games hardware and lifestyle now)
RMC The Cave (retro hardware)
Timeline (History documentaries)
The Escapists (for Zero Punctuation and some of his podcasts)
Alternative History Hub (what if? History videos)
Ahoy (occasional history of gaming videos)
Mustard (occasional plane / ship / car history videos)
Over Simplified (History animations)
Vice Grip Garage (buys abandoned car, fixes it, be very American)
Random gaming in HD (buys cheap old GPU, benches it)

Soldato
Channels I watch most (in no particular order):

Girlfriend Reviews
J. Kenji López-Alt
Weeds & Sardines
Alison Roman
First We Feast
AfreecaTV eSports
Babish Culinary Universe
ContraPoints

Mostly food related channels really

Soldato
Just looking at my subs that I use the most, in no order.

Ade Oladipo (boxing)
HatmanStrikesBack (boxing)
BoxingSocial (boxing)
IFLTV (Boxing)
Gameranx (gaming)
The F1 Word (F1)
ChainBear (F1)
LinusTechTips (Tech)
MKBHD (Tech)
Flossy Carter (Tech)

honourable mentions to: Guga Foods, Alec Steele, Marc Priestly F1 Elvis and Zefrank1

Associate
I generally watch/catch up on the following if I get an early night.

Neebs Gaming - (my go to gaming channel for a laugh)
JayzTwoCents
Gamers Nexus
Down to Earth Astronomy
Computerphile
Scott Manley
LTT
The 8-bit Guy

Soldato
Born 2 Game (Very similiar to Worthabuy, tells it how it is in gaming)
Harald Baldr
Bald and Bankrupt
Abandoned and Forgotten Places
Atomic Shrimp
Jim Browning
Real Stories
Hell on Earth
SciManDan
IKS Exploration nearly met up with them but I was ill, and they were in Dover :(

Back
Top Bottom