Your treadmill settings?

Associate
I am running at 10mph for 15 minutes on the treadmill.

Is this considered fit? What speed and duration do you run? Can somebody work out my mile time please, too tired to even think :)

Associate
Dont run on my treadmill very much, but when i do i usually do 25mins, 5mins at 8kph 5mins at 10kph 5mins at 12mph 5mins at 14kph and then 5mins at 16kph. Thats in the pool area where its about 30degrees. Sweaty! Even watching tv or listening to music while running on the treamill still seems boring, so i try to avoid it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm trying to join the Royal Marines, so im upping all my targets and im pushing myself hard.

The_Judge, I take it you mean kph for your speed. (12mph)

InsomniaCalls, you must be really fit to achieve that, I do struggle to do 10mph for 15 minutes but 20 minutes is my target with no incline.

Permabanned
I run for 15 minutes at 7mph, 5 minutes at 8mph, 5 minutes at 9mph and 5 minutes at 10mph once a week with no incline on my gyms treadmill, bodybuild 3x a week.

Soldato
Lt. Manlove said:
I'm trying to join the Royal Marines, so im upping all my targets and im pushing myself hard.

The_Judge, I take it you mean kph for your speed. (12mph)

InsomniaCalls, you must be really fit to achieve that, I do struggle to do 10mph for 15 minutes but 20 minutes is my target with no incline.

10mph for 20 minutes = 3.5 miles approx and since you need to run 3 miles for RMFT you are onto a good target...

There is a website that has really good advice for this, but its down at the moment and I dont want to put the link up unless I can be sure it is the right one...

I have similar aspirations at the moment, and at first I was about to join the Marines. I assume that you are also working on your press-ups and sit-ups...
I'd also reccomend attempting to train to your limit a few times, unpleasant but its better than getting there on the day and getting a shock - because I think that one idea of the test is to see how you cope under physiological stress and when already very tired. So dont be surprised if they want you to do the run after some sort of nasty 'warm up' that has already knackered you...

Get interval training - where you sprint for 30 seconds and then jog for a 1:30 cool down, then repeat until in soaking, heaving shakes because you have pushed yourself hard... no need to actually make yourself sick, but queasy might be something to aim for...

Also, start running in the street and parks, running in the open can be different from treadmill and will teach you important skills (such as best thing to do if you plant your foot/ankle awkwardly) and also, remember that on the day you may be asked to run over rough terrain...

What stage are you at? Have you had your first interview - do you have a date for selection?

Last edited:
Associate
I prefer the elliptical machine because it is easier on my knees. I burn 500 calories in 30 mins and still have enough energy for the weights. I am 28 years old and noticed that if I ran for 30 mins 3 to 4 days a week my knees would really bother me.

Associate
OP
Sent an email, cleanbluesky. Wonder if you have MSN?

Bit silly actually i've only just started properly training this week. I intend to start the application in a couple of months maybe when i'm confident of my fitness. The form is all filled out and ready ;)

I believe the site you meant was mfat.co.uk ? Down for me too.

Have you started the application yet? My local AFCO is Wrexham.

Caporegime
I do 10mph for 30 minutes. Each time I go I alter the program, sometimes do that cross country settings, sometimes aerobic, yesterday i did it interval. 2 minutes flat 2 minutes mid incline. I then do my level best to stay at the same speed during the incline periods. Then finish the last 2 minutes at a flat out sprint.

I find interval training as the best way to up your speed.

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Started with the Marines, went to interview but didn't think it was for me. I have now applied to Army... my first interview for which is next week...

In which case the fitness assessment is different ;)

Concentrate on getting your 1.5 mile time below 10.30 unless you are going for something like the Paras in which case it needs to be under 9.18 ;)

As for upper body strength, try to aim for at least 10 heaves to give a good A grade on PSSR :)

Which of our offices are you applying at?

Soldato
L Plate said:
In which case the fitness assessment is different ;)

Concentrate on getting your 1.5 mile time below 10.30 unless you are going for something like the Paras in which case it needs to be under 9.18 ;)

As for upper body strength, try to aim for at least 10 heaves to give a good A grade on PSSR :)

Which of our offices are you applying at?

Blackheath. My 1.5 mile time would be under 9 minutes...

I must admit I am looking forward to it...

Back
Top Bottom