Your treadmill settings?

Soldato
cheets64 said:
I set my to the Army or Navy test, its great because you dont want to jump off half way, gives you a reason to push yourself

The Navy test is nothing like the Army one, if you jumped off halfway from the Navy one you would have been walking anyway ;) :D

Also the Army one, is a 2.4km best effort in under 10.30 if you want to be fit enough to attend basic training.

Lastly if you are going to do the Army test on a treadmill then really you should set an incline of 1.5 to start with and you should also add in an 800m warmup into that to get a true indication of how fast you are doing it.

The reason i say that is because on the Army BPFA you will do 2 mins of pressups, 2 mins of situps and then do an 800m warmup (run/walk) before starting the 2.4km individual run. A lot of people stick to doing 2.4km and dont factor in the other stuff and wonder why their time drops ;)

Soldato
usually do about 5mins on 10 km/ph, then 5mins on around 14.5 km/ph,then decide how far i want to go (usually around 2-3 miles) and nail it on 18km/ph until i get there :)

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Lucky you, last week was the first time I have been to Blackheath - its a lovely place...

Ah right, so would i be right in assuming you havent even sat the BARB test then yet?

Any idea what job you are after?

The fitness level varies dependant on what you are trying to enlist into, also who is your recruiter?

Soldato
L Plate said:
Any idea what job you are after?

The fitness level varies dependant on what you are trying to enlist into, also who is your recruiter?

Yes, I wish to join as an officer in the TA (becasue I also plan to start my Masters soon) and then hopefully apply to something more demanding either once I have got some experience or after a couple of years in the TA. If I dont get in as an officer I will probably apply for TA paras (A TA para artillery unit is very close to me, so it would be convenient at least)... I was advised to try as an officer first, that way I haven't lost anything if I dont make it.

First I applied for Marines, but didn't think it would be as good as the army. I have already been working towards fitness for a few months, and can now do at least 3 miles at approx 6 minute mile pace.

Whatever way I join I want the option of being able to transfer as a regular - I am also working hard to meet the fitness requirements and gain experience (outside of application to TA) so that hopefully sometime next year or year after I can have a shot at 21 Artists' Rifles.

Any advice would be very welcome...

Soldato
Not too sure where the advice came from then for you m8, we dont deal with TA applications at ACIO Blackheath, at present we just direct you to the nearest TA unit that could offer the sort of job you are after (this will change shortly as we take onboard all the TA recruiting).

Also the Officer recruiting cell upstairs from us only deals with Regular officer entry, so again if its TA officer you are after its normally a TA centre you have to deal with.

If you are doing 3 miles at 6min pace then you are plenty fit enough already so i wouldnt worry :)

Also the idea of only doing a fraction of the training as a reserve and then transferring to the regulars is a myth, in 99% of cases you would still have to go through a discharge from the TA and then re-enlist as recruit whether it be officer or soldier (the sheer difference in physical standard and training for the TA and regulars wouldnt allow you to just transfer ;) ).

Last edited:
Suspended
i run about 30mins at 10mph and about every 10mins i knock it up to 30mph for 1min i think the speeds are right as it doesnt tell you just a number of level settin but i can do the 100m in 11-12 secs

Soldato
I'm just starting out with a treadmill for the first time this week, and I know that I am sooo unfit its unreal. So my settings are as follows:

Time: 10mins
Speed: 6mph
Graident: 4.5

Knackering to say the least ;)

Soldato
umm my local gyms treadmills go upto 20km/h, i can do that but im pretty sure i'd be maxx'd out a few km/h above that. i highly doubt your treadmill can do 30 mp/h though, or you infact, feel free to prove me wrong though

Soldato
Sanzy said:
could someone work it out for me if i am able to 100m's in 11secs then how fast am i running? :)

Quick Google says sprint record is:
Asafa Powell (Jamaica) ran 9.77

100m = 0.062137 miles

1/0.062137 = 16.09

0.062 (100m dist in miles) * 16.09 = 1m
11 secs * 16.09 = 117s = 1:57 per mile

3600s in hour therefore, 3600/117 = 30.7mph

Its possible, but only for sprinting and probably not on the treadmill either...

Soldato
The thing is that on a treadmill its easier to run faster, simply bang the speed of the treadmill up and stretch your pace ;)

Very deceiving in truth becasue whilst it may be reading that sort of speed its actually doing most of the work for you.

Also the fastest treadmill i have ever seen only went up to 20kmh, something to do with health and safety regulations or something ;)

Soldato
Running treadmill and running road or track is chalk and cheese. If you're just training on a treadmill in the hope of putting in a fast time in a real race you're in for a shock.

Ditch the treadmill and do some proper running.

RM is tough be prepared for hell, its also about mental toughness as well as physical fitness. They will have you doing more than 3 mile runs. 20 miles fast walking over rough terrain with 40Kg kit, couple hours kip, then the same the next day.

Get through it you'll have my utmost repect and so will your officers.

Last edited:
Suspended
I used to Run for Notts Athletic Club now i just go to the gym on tradmills mostly as i always feel wiered when running in the streets i always feel that people are thinking what a bum , or am about to be arrested for looking dodgy darting around the streets

Soldato
Edinho said:
RM is tough be prepared for hell, its also about mental toughness as well as physical fitness. They will have you doing more than 3 mile runs. 20 miles fast walking over rough terrain with 40Kg kit, couple hours kip, then the same the next day.

Get through it you'll have my utmost repect and so will your officers.

I cant remember the last time i saw a marine carrying 40kg of kit ;)

90lb would be an operational battle weight and not one that they train with, specifically because if you set that weight as a standard then all who attempt it should be able to achieve it.

Infantry weight is set at 55lb for all combat fitness tests ;)

Soldato
L Plate said:
I cant remember the last time i saw a marine carrying 40kg of kit ;)

90lb would be an operational battle weight and not one that they train with, specifically because if you set that weight as a standard then all who attempt it should be able to achieve it.

Infantry weight is set at 55lb for all combat fitness tests ;)

55lbs then, not exactly a lunchbox is it? Whatever, its tough.

Back
Top Bottom