Your views on gun laws in the UK

Soldato
Personally i would love to be able to legally carry as a form of self protection as they can in Texas, the sense of self protection appeals to me. Even the churchmen in various states in America arm themselves.

But, can you imagine they legalised guns in Britain, it would be a pretty nasty outcome to say the least, because we are not a mature people, in the states they treat guns with so much respect and it fundamentally adds a whole new level to respect and responsibility that i sometimes wish i could be part off.

Compare the US to the UK for example, we are so conditioned to not protect ourselves and to have fairly controversial sentencings that it must really dumb us down a lot. Imagine we could all be armed and yet have utmost respect for our firearms. I suppose I'm saying, why can't we be more like the Americans.

you are clearly insane, with all of the shootings that happen in the states the police need to all be armed it would be a nightmare. move there if you want to carry a gun to feel like a big man.

Soldato
Or alternatively, in places where it has been done in this reality ;)

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp#right-to-carry

Still, never let reality get in the way of random supposition.

And never let someone tell you "facts" on something that seems so prone to national variations are relevant in another nation. Because it is not necessarily so.

There is no good reason to let the public have guns in this country that would outweigh the potential harm.

Suspended
I see no problem with people being able to legally possess firearms for home defence, but I wouldn't want to see people being legally able to carry them in public. There's enough retards about to take a simple misunderstanding on the road, or bumped shoulder in a pub to a whole different dimension.

Those who would use firearms for crime already own them.

Man of Honour
No to guns in the U.K. Even those who go shooting for sport should have there guns locked away at their club and not held on the persons premises.

That said, I see people driving 'lethal weapons' every day and I am amazed how they haven't killed themselves or worse, someone else. Equip them with guns as well? No thanks!

Man of Honour
And never let someone tell you "facts" on something that seems so prone to national variations are relevant in another nation. Because it is not necessarily so.

There is no good reason to let the public have guns in this country that would outweigh the potential harm.

I disagree, but you probably already know that. The gun ban hasn't actually saved a single life (see the murder stats before and after the gun ban and play spot the lack of correlation), at best it's shifted the few gun murders we had onto other forms.

The government should not be putting restrictions on things that have no benefit, and so far, no actual case as to why law abiding, trained citizens should be prevented from owning guns has been put forward. (Spotlight fallacies such as highlighting Dunblane and making an appeal to emotion don't count).

Soldato
(Spotlight fallacies such as highlighting Dunblane and making an appeal to emotion don't count).

Unfortunately, spotlight fallacies do count when they involve right wing lunatic/fundamentalist/survivalists gunning down all and sundry every few years. Yes you can go on a rampage with a kitchen knife but you can't kill 50 odd people in the space of half an hour.

And what's wrong with appeals to emotion they seem to have had quite a profound effect on you in a few areas. If you want this kind of stuff just fly off to the states and join the Tea Party you'd fit in just fine.

Suspended
Unfortunately, spotlight fallacies do count when they involve right wing lunatic/fundamentalist/survivalists gunning down all and sundry every few years. Yes you can go on a rampage with a kitchen knife but you can't kill 50 odd people in the space of half an hour.

And what's wrong with appeals to emotion they seem to have had quite a profound effect on you in a few areas.

Except this argument holds no water. If a person is driven enough to carry out mass murder then nothing will stop them. This is no reason to deny everyone else the opportunity to properly protect their families in their own home.

Permabanned
Except this argument holds no water. If a person is driven enough to carry out mass murder then nothing will stop them. This is no reason to deny everyone else the opportunity to properly protect their families in their own home.

Access to the means to effectively carry out a spree killing would greatly increase the potential of that spree killing.

If guns are readily available and are commonplace all that means is that you get an escalation of opportunity and risk.

If guns are difficult to obtain, it is more difficult to access the most obvious means with which to effectively carry out mass murder.

It is also far easier to stop or escape from someone who doesn't have a projectile weapon than one who does.

If everyone carried a gun as protection, then everyone is also carrying a gun with which to commit a potential crime. Would you rather be assaulted by someones fist, or their .44........

If people want to use guns recreationally then I see nothing wrong with that, there is no reason that gun-clubs cannot hold and secure all weapons onthe premises....there is no reason that guns need be kept in the home, except in specific circumstances.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Given that you can make a bomb with kitchen chemicals and nails, or simply chain the fire exits to a building shut and set the place on fire (among many other ways of killing large numbers of people if you are determined/insane enough), I'd beg to differ.

And what's wrong with appeals to emotion they seem to have had quite a profound effect on you in a few areas. If you want this kind of stuff just fly off to the states and join the Tea Party you'd fit in just fine.

You can't make laws attacking the activities of the general population based on the activities of the very rare lunatic.

You also shouldn't make laws based on fallacies full stop.

Soldato

Situation 1

Bloke walks into a community centre with a knife

Situation 2

Bloke walks into a community centre with a AK-74

Both have 5 mins to kill as many people as possible - who'd you reckon wins? My guess the 2nd chap doesn't have the ammunition or targets to last past 90 secs.

Soldato
Access to the means to effectively carry out a spree killing would greatly increase the potential of that spree killing.

If guns are readily available and are commonplace all that means is that you get an escalation of opportunity and risk.

If guns are difficult to obtain, it is more difficult to access the most obvious means with which to effectively carry out mass murder.

It is also far easier to stop or escape from someone who doesn't have a projectile weapon than one who does.

Strange how the people who are used to guns and the effects of them can see this ...

Man of Honour
Situation 1

Bloke walks into a community centre with a knife

Situation 2

Bloke walks into a community centre with a AK-74

Both have 5 mins to kill as many people as possible - who'd you reckon wins? My guess the 2nd chap doesn't have the ammunition or targets to last past 90 secs.

Both sound like the sort of situation where concealed carry, once the situation has started, is probably the best chance the people in the community centre have.

Just remember, in your world, only the bloke has the weapon...

Back
Top Bottom