Your views on gun laws in the UK

Caporegime
That's true, but I'm just saying it's possible, seeing as we were discussing the law being changed.

The discussion is about the law on gun ownership being changed.

If they changed the law tomorrow to allow us all to own guns that doesn't say that they could be used in circumstances any different than they are if you legally owned one now.

Soldato
Personally i would love to be able to legally carry as a form of self protection as they can in Texas, the sense of self protection appeals to me. Even the churchmen in various states in America arm themselves.
I feel far safer knowing there's a very small chance other people are carrying guns! I'd feel a lot less safe than I do now, even if I had a gun, if everyone else had one!

But, can you imagine they legalised guns in Britain, it would be a pretty nasty outcome to say the least, because we are not a mature people, in the states they treat guns with so much respect and it fundamentally adds a whole new level to respect and responsibility that i sometimes wish i could be part off.
Seriously, your thinking is backward. We are far more mature since we've agreed we don't all have to walk around the place with guns! We've advanced beyond the stage where we feel the need to be able to easily kill another person!

Compare the US to the UK for example, we are so conditioned to not protect ourselves and to have fairly controversial sentencings that it must really dumb us down a lot. Imagine we could all be armed and yet have utmost respect for our firearms. I suppose I'm saying, why can't we be more like the Americans.
Intentional homicide rates in West and Central Europe, 1.2 per 100,000 (2010). In North America it's 4.7. I'm very glad we aren't more like the Americans.

Soldato
If they changed the law tomorrow to allow us all to own guns that doesn't say that they could be used in circumstances any different than they are if you legally owned one now.

A fair point I suppose.

I'm just trying to present another view, because there is a laughably one sided view in this thread so far.

Op must be trolling. There's no way a civilized mind would think like that, surely.

Ah yes, those notorious barbarian nations, Switzerland and Finland.

Soldato
Why would we want the general public to be allowed to carry guns? It's one of the good things about this country - we should keep it how it is as the moment where the only people who have guns are the military, police and criminals. Those three groups, in the main, seem to be able to keep themselves from causing too much trouble.

Soldato
if i could buy guns theres people whom i would have shot by now . maybe

i honestly think the only time i would ever think ''oh i could really do with a gun'' would be if other people had them... but they dont

Last edited:

RDM

RDM

Soldato
The only thing I would like to see changed is the reversal of the ban on handguns. Other than that I feel our laws are a good balance between safety and personal freedom.

Soldato
No i'm not kidding, they have always had the right to carry weapons over there. They don't see it as we do, we see it as imminent death, they see it as self preservation. So no i am not kidding.

If you feel the need to carry a gun in the UK for "self preservation" then I'd take a good look at yourself in the mirror. You're obviously sending out the wrong signals.

The american attitude towards guns and the "right to bare arms" is moronic.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
In the UK you aren't, even if you legally own a firearm, unless it was in self defence and then only if the person defending him or herself uses no more than "reasonable force".

The case of Tony Martin springs to mind.

He was convicted of murder, later reduced to manslaughter by the Court of Appeal on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Tony Martin would also have been convicted in most US states too, shooting someone in the back as thy are running away isn't counted as self defence in most places!

Caporegime
Tony Martin would also have been convicted in most US states too, shooting someone in the back as thy are running away isn't counted as self defence in most places!

Shooting someone in the front isn't either unless using only "reasonable force".

According to Strife212 in Texas you can just shoot people breaking into your house.

Associate
I am for gun carry like in Texas. In UK they could limit each person to owning only 2 guns.

Also very much approve UK Government for allowing us to have air rifles without license. That is one better than in China and even Honk Kong where you cannot even have air rifles up to 12f/p limit. That must really suck.

I love hunting and shooting with my air rifle. Makes me feel like real man when I kill animal. Head shots are the best. One shot one kill. BF3 style baby.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am for gun carry like in Texas. In UK they could limit each person to owning only 2 guns.

As long as we can only have 2 each there's nothing to worry about.

The OP can get a pair of 6 shooters and a cowboy hat.

I love hunting and shooting with my air rifle (AA tx 200hc). Makes me feel like real man.

No cause for concern there then.

Soldato
Gangs in London can already get hold of Mac-10s within three minutes, while they're illegal.

Please don't cut that down to three seconds.

Soldato

Also very much approve UK Government for allowing us to have air rifles without license. That is one better than in China and even Honk Kong where you cannot even have air rifles up to 12f/p limit. That must really suck.

I love hunting and shooting with my air rifle. Makes me feel like real man when I kill animal. Head shots are the best. One shot one kill. BF3 style baby.

Two sounds like a safe number :confused:

What the hell are you going to do with an air rifle in Hong Kong :confused:

You can get a hunting rifle in the UK if you can prove you have legitimate use for one, which most people don't, especially "real men" on internet forums.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom