YouTube Premium

I assume by user generated what most people mean is it's not financed by YT in the same way Netflix/Disney/TV networks actively pay for the production of series/movies.

TV is more than Star Wars shows too. For example, take car content. It has pretty much gone from normal television now, even the Grand Tour has finished. If you want to watch car stuff it's all YouTube. Throttle House, Donut, Might Car Mods, Hagety, Straight Pipes, Auto Alex etc etc etc. The production for some of the shows or episodes are excellent, Hagety being the prime example. It's so much better than whatever Channel 5 was doing with their car stuff when they were doing car shows.

Sure, YouTube will not give you something like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it fill SO much that is missing or good from television these days.

Last edited:
TV is more than Star Wars shows too. For example, take car content. It has pretty much gone from normal television now, even the Grand Tour has finished. If you want to watch car stuff it's all YouTube. Throttle House, Donut, Might Car Mods, Hagety, Straight Pipes, Auto Alex etc etc etc. The production for some of the shows or episodes are excellent, Hagety being the prime example. It's so much better than whatever Channel 5 was doing with their car stuff when they were doing car shows.

Sure, YouTube will not give you something like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it fill SO much that is missing or good from television these days.
Yes but none of it is financed by YT i.e. if it's a complete flop and no one watches it then it's cost YT nothing other than the storage space.

It's "user" generated in hope that they can then monetise it through YT or other avenues once it's built a following on there.

Last edited:
Guess what. Don't like it then don't pay or watch it. You obviously watch it because you're either being entertained or learning something.

You get it for free with ads. Take it or leave it.

It's a business YouTube have built a up and there's not another service comparable. They can charge what they like as it's past time service, not life support.

Yes but none of it is financed by YT i.e. if it's a complete flop and no one watches it then it's cost YT nothing other than the storage space.

It's "user" generated in hope that they can then monetise it through YT or other avenues once it's built a following on there.

What does it matter to me how they are getting paid? or how YouTube is funded???

How I pay for my cinema ticket, how much of that ticket money is split between the distributor/studio/actor/director/script writer etc is no different to me to how the YT premium money is getting divided to YT to pay its staff and to pay for the content creator.

What he is saying I think is that he doesn't want to pay for a "low production" cat video, which is not what YouTube is anymore.

Last edited:
What does it matter to me how they are getting paid? or how YouTube is funded???

How I pay for my cinema ticket, how much of that ticket money is split between the distributor/studio/actor/director/script writer etc is no different to me to how the YT premium money is getting divided to YT to pay its staff and to pay for the content creator.

What he is saying I think is that he doesn't want to pay for a "low production" cat video, which is not what YouTube is anymore.
Well you appeared to be pointing out that it's full of high production value/cost content these days in response to someone saying why should they pay so much for content effectively provided to YT for free by its users (whether they are one guy in their bedroom or a professional production company). In comparison to more traditional setups where the people providing the content and charging for it generally have a hand in financing it as well and therefore you may be able to argue a higher cost for those services is justified.

If that's not what you were getting at then no worries, no need for us to get worked up about it.

Well you appeared to be pointing out that it's full of high production value/cost content these days in response to someone saying why should they pay so much for content effectively provided to YT for free by its users (whether they are one guy in their bedroom or a professional production company). In comparison to more traditional setups where the people providing the content and charging for it generally have a hand in financing it as well and therefore you may be able to argue a higher cost for those services is justified.

If that's not what you were getting at then no worries, no need for us to get worked up about it.

That's not what I am saying. He is suggesting that it is all "user", note the SINGULAR, no s on user, and the use of the word "user". I am disputing that and gave you lots of examples where YouTube is full of channels where there is a full team of people making content such as Sky Sports, Sky Sports is neither singular person or a "user". I am also not implying that there are no cat videos or channels where it is made by a single person, as I gave the argument that in some topic, such as movie critic....what does it matter if it is on those channels?

In the end, time passes by all the same, it does not matter to me who or how many people or the budget behind it as long as it is good.

Last edited:
Didn't realise I was going to get an English lesson here as well :D

I don't disagree with what you're saying, just giving another view point on why people may feel it's expensive considering it's now similar in price to the big streaming services.

Last edited:
Didn't realise I was going to get an English lesson here as well :D

I don't disagree with what you're saying, just giving another view point on why people may feel it's expensive considering it's now similar in price to the big streaming services.

Side point, I don't think a lot of people don't realise the potential and what is actually on YouTube.

It is a place where if you have a topic, you can REALLY go down a rabbit hole, there is SO much to learn on there. This week I was looking to get a travel router....i spent a whole day watching reviews on which one to get. Sure I could read a forum post but a video gives so much more information. The size of the product, shows what comes in the box, shows the control panel portal etc.

One time I spent an entire evening watching maths videos on game theory after watching something on Veritasium.

I also use it as a "how to" source. If I want to learn how to do something it's the first place l look. How to open up the keyfob for my car? YouTube. How to change the valve in my Gaggia Classic? YouTube. How to beat this boss in a game? YouTube.

Last edited:
Side point, I don't think a lot of people don't realise the potential and what is actually on YouTube.

It is a place where if you have a topic, you can REALLY go down a rabbit hole, there is SO much to learn, and yup, learn, on there. This week I was looking to get a travel router....i spent a whole day watching reviews on which one to get. Sure I could read a forum post but a video gives so much more information. The size of the product, shows what comes in the box, shows the control panel portal etc.

One time I spent an entire evening watching maths videos on game theory after watching something on Veritasium.

I also use it as a "how to" source. If I want to learn how to do something it's the first place l look. How to open up the keyfob for my car? YouTube. How to change the valve in my Gaggia Classic? YouTube. How to beat this boss in a game? YouTube.
Again I don't disagree I use it in very similar ways and it's saved my backside on a number of occasions when I've been elbow deep in greasy bike parts trying to figure something out. I ended up watching washer dryer reviews before ordering our new one last week, peak middle age achievement unlocked :o

Back
Top Bottom