Youtube to end monetization on channels with less than 1,000 subs

Soldato
you get or used to get about 60p per 1000 views but its less now.

Based on the last 365 days of analytics on my main channel (where everything is monetised) I got £1.07 per thousand views. Over the same period on my personal channel, where not everything has ads I still got 65p per thousand views.

There's a few other things going on with YouTube. If you make content that can be considered "liable to offend" you will likely lose your monetisation as well.

This is entirely why they have done it. I make totally safe tech video's and probably 80% of them get flagged and I have to ask for manual review. Luckily I have enough subs and reviews that I can actually do this. Less than a certain amount and you're just stuck with their odd decision.

So the whole idiotic 'unboxing' thing is purely to log more viewing hours.

People ask for them, people watch them, they will get made...

the thing that gets me is a youtube video might be demonitised for the creator, but there'll still be adverts and you can be damn sure youtube is making money from it, kinda double standard morality right there.

Fairly sure this isn't the case. Demonetised means they wont show ads before it at all. They're concerned you've made some risky video that some advertiser would sue YouTube because their advert got put before it. It's not to stop you making money from it, but to stop an advert going in front of a risky video.

I've been subscribed to YouTube Red for a while now

That's better than blocking ads as creators still get income for you watching.

If it's a 10min video for example and 2 mins in you've given up watching, does the poster then get 2 mins credited to them?

Yes, you can check analytics for average viewing time, you can even see when people stop watching your videos.

For me it's only a little annoying. My main channel is well above the criteria, but my personal channel is around 250 subs, but I still have a few video's with 5 figure views on that, which would give me a few pennies each month, which is nice. They're reviews, but not of tech related things... but I guess I'll just re-upload them to my tech channel... even if they'll be a little out of place. It will be interesting to see if their high search result will continue on a different channel.

**EDIT** I just did some very simple maths on the 4,000 hours. If you average 2:30 mins watch time per video (my main tech channel ave's this), you're looking at 96,000 views a year to be monetised. That's quite a lot!

Man of Honour
OP
as theres a £60 threshold you have to pass to get a payout, what happens if you have less than £60 in your adsense account when they turn monetization off on the 20th of Feb?
will they pay you what you're owed or will they simply keep your cash? i cant find any info on that, this could end up being a big cash grab by Youtube :/

Associate
If I were to guess I would say they won't pay out, but won't actually touch adsense. AFAIK they're not changing the way adsense works with putting ads on a separate website, just won't get money in it from youtube. Its kind of poop all round :( at least you guys are close to the 1000 subs, I was closing in on the 10k views but only have a dozen subs :p

Soldato
as theres a £60 threshold you have to pass to get a payout, what happens if you have less than £60 in your adsense account when they turn monetization off on the 20th of Feb?
will they pay you what you're owed or will they simply keep your cash? i cant find any info on that, this could end up being a big cash grab by Youtube :/

I'm at around £40 in my adsense account which is annoying as I suspect they'll hold onto the money until I can reactivate the service and then get myself up to £60. Kind of annoying but what can you do? Definitely going to claw back a nice bit of cash from various channels.

Soldato

Don't forget YouTube will be losing money with this action. Is it we get 30% and they get 70%. Think how many accounts they will no longer get the 70% from.

Associate
Don't forget YouTube will be losing money with this action. Is it we get 30% and they get 70%. Think how many accounts they will no longer get the 70% from.

I dunno, youtube will still be showing the ads just on fewer channels, eg. a channel that's just over the monetization level, would maybe serve an ad 1 in 4 views might now be serving ads on half their views. Would basically mean that once a channel is past the threshold they'd make slightly more money and youtube would be making the same.

Soldato
Yes, so YouTube make money each time an ad plays. Ads will play less now, so they will make less money. Ads get served basically every time on a monetised ad, not 1 in 4? I don't see how they will make the same money?

Associate
I don't think ads will play less often, They don't show an ad on every view of a monetized video. As I understand it they sell views to advertisers in bunches. So coke will buy 100000 views on a specific ad, then youtube will feed those 100000 ads out to random viewers.

From what some people have said with the adpocalypse youtube has not had enough ads to feed to all the monetized videos. So all the ads that are being paid for are being shown.

Man of Honour
From what some people have said with the adpocalypse youtube has not had enough ads to feed to all the monetized videos. So all the ads that are being paid for are being shown.
And I think this explains why YouTube are changing the rules. It must cost them some time and money to moderate which videos are monetised. Typically a more popular author will probably be more likely to stick to the guidelines and newer authors less likely to. Considering that this change will be unlikely to reduce revenue for YouTube they will be able to save time and money by not moderating monetisation on the lower viewed channels.

Man of Honour
I have £45 in my account built up via monetisation in the last few years after having a YouTube account and putting up videos for ten years with 55k views. I can't withdraw it until its at £60 so will never (realistically) be able to get it. **** YouTube.

Soldato
I've subbed to help ou, not my sort of content but hey ho.

Hope you get to 1k dude, YT is making it harder to earn money and is censoring more and more.

If there was another viable outlet I would boycot it.

Back
Top Bottom