Youtube to end monetization on channels with less than 1,000 subs

Soldato
Based on the last 365 days of analytics on my main channel (where everything is monetised) I got £1.07 per thousand views. Over the same period on my personal channel, where not everything has ads I still got 65p per thousand views.

Am I missing something here... so you'd get £50 for 50,000 views on a single video?! How on earth is anyone making much money on youtube?

Soldato
I thought it was not per view but for the amount of time viewers watch adverts. If your viewers skip most of the adverts you will earn far less than those who don't. Your rate can also vary person to person, as the audience are not considered as valuable due to their age.

To earn any real money, you have to be generating a fair amount of views.

Still, youtube is free and a huge platform. Hosting everyones videos likely is not cheap, especially considering the vast majority generate them absolutely nothing. Controlling content is their right and business, as well as controlling the requirement for monetisation. There are other platforms, people don't use them because they don't have the audience that youtube has built up over the years.

Soldato
Am I missing something here... so you'd get £50 for 50,000 views on a single video?! How on earth is anyone making much money on youtube?

I don't entirely get your question. There are YouTubers with millions of views a day, but you don't know how they make money at £1 per 1,000 views?

For me, it's just a nice little extra each month for doing something as a hobby (in other words, I enjoy it)

I thought it was not per view but for the amount of time viewers watch adverts. If your viewers skip most of the adverts you will earn far less than those who don't. Your rate can also vary person to person, as the audience are not considered as valuable due to their age..

Definitely there are all kinds of contributing factors. For simplicity sake, we're just working on some averages though.

Soldato
Now question is, will this be followed by a culling of unused and abandoned youtube accounts in the months to follow?

I know that google has been doing this to an extent but will they take a stricter move to it and also remove accounts that flag up as bots?

There was not much reason to be strict on the accuracy of subscriber numbers before but now there is.

Soldato

there's a few youtubers who average 100k views per video, if you release daily then you're looking at £100 per day (assuming the rates are constant), and thats before you add things like patreon, merchandise sales and sponsorships.

Soldato
Going to make it difficult for new starters!

Difficult to get monetized but the money at the minimum requirement would be tiny, it is not really making a difference. Should monetising your channel ever have been as easy as it was?

Imo this will at least add a sense of achievement to reaching the requirement. I am sure that some people whose main hobby is youtube may even feel pressured to not fall below it!

Soldato
I have £45 in my account built up via monetisation in the last few years after having a YouTube account and putting up videos for ten years with 55k views. I can't withdraw it until its at £60 so will never (realistically) be able to get it. **** YouTube.

I'm in a similar situation. I emailed them and their response didn't clarify the situation. I've emailed them back - I see this as a great way of them getting out of paying for a lot of adverts over the last few years!

Soldato
I honestly don't see why this is a problem. Back in the day you needed a lot more to be a Youtube partner anyway, it's become easier and easier as time's gone on. The problem with Youtube these days is people see it as a revenue stream, not a place to upload videos because you enjoy doing it which is why it's become a cesspit of clickbait crap that appeals to the lowest common denominator. If you stop making videos because you no longer earn that few quid every year, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. If you content is good enough you'll build up your subscribers anyway.

Soldato
I honestly don't see why this is a problem. Back in the day you needed a lot more to be a Youtube partner anyway, it's become easier and easier as time's gone on. The problem with Youtube these days is people see it as a revenue stream, not a place to upload videos because you enjoy doing it which is why it's become a cesspit of clickbait crap that appeals to the lowest common denominator. If you stop making videos because you no longer earn that few quid every year, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. If you content is good enough you'll build up your subscribers anyway.

Exactly how i view it.

Soldato
there's a few youtubers who average 100k views per video, if you release daily then you're looking at £100 per day (assuming the rates are constant), and thats before you add things like patreon, merchandise sales and sponsorships.

Not many do daily videos with 100k views though...?

And even that is only £3k a month, which is hardly amazing. From most of the car review / lifestyle bloggers it seems that their families are already loaded before youtube money comes into things.

Soldato
Not many do daily videos with 100k views though...?

And even that is only £3k a month, which is hardly amazing. From most of the car review / lifestyle bloggers it seems that their families are already loaded before youtube money comes into things.

no not many, its just as an example that you can get a decent wage out of it, £36k's not a bad salary for playing video games or just being a prat for a living.

Soldato
So 100K total daily views is £3k a month, which is pretty good, enough for most to quit their day job. A new video a day getting around 15k views on day one would probably do that, as they will of course keep getting views. (Of my top 5 views for the last 7 days, 4 of them are over 4 months old.)

So to summarise, that is how 'anyone' is making much money. :)

Soldato
I have £45 in my account built up via monetisation in the last few years after having a YouTube account and putting up videos for ten years with 55k views. I can't withdraw it until its at £60 so will never (realistically) be able to get it. **** YouTube.
I suggest you close the account where the limit is lower to receive payment. They are probably going to close that avenue at some point also

Back
Top Bottom