*** Youtube/Video thread ***

I tend to like a simple, cleverly functional design and that's certainly what that toaster is. 1948 tech. The most complex sensor is two pieces of different metals stuck together. All movement is mechanical. But the toaster autodetects the bread being inserted, autodetects when the bread is toasted to the user-defined level (it's not on a timer) and autoejects the toast.

With some simple modern measures for improved safety (the original design is not earthed, for example), it would be a very good toaster today. The presenter wonders why the design hasn't been copied. I think I know why. It's an extremely and inherently robust design because it's simple and mechanical. Almost anything that could fail could be easily and cheaply repaired or replaced. It would be difficult to manufacture in a way that would ensure that most of them failed in an unrepairable way shortly after the warranty expired without adding stuff solely for that purpose, which is currently generally considered to be taking planned obsolescence too far.

Back
Top Bottom