Z390 Aorus Owners thread

Man of Honour
My Gskill Trident Z is indeed B die. The tightest I got from it was C16 at 3600mhz, C18 at 3833mhz, both with 1.4v. I really couldn't be bothered to tweak it any more because to me the bios layout is soul destroying. I have had Asus boards for the past ten years and the bios is perfect so switching to Gigabyte and this half assed bios layout was a shock. I was even tempted to sell the cpu and board and swap to Ryzen but realised that I would be losing performance in the type of games I play (mainly single threaded).

Associate
My Gskill Trident Z is indeed B die. The tightest I got from it was C16 at 3600mhz, C18 at 3833mhz, both with 1.4v. I really couldn't be bothered to tweak it any more because to me the bios layout is soul destroying. I have had Asus boards for the past ten years and the bios is perfect so switching to Gigabyte and this half assed bios layout was a shock. I was even tempted to sell the cpu and board and swap to Ryzen but realised that I would be losing performance in the type of games I play (mainly single threaded).

etIjNoQ.png

DRAM voltage: 1.5v
Termination voltage: 1.5v
vccio 1.23v
vccsa 1.23v

Notes:

twtr_s = leave on auto. change twrrd_dg to 24
twtr_l = leave on auto. change twrrd_sg to 26
trc in bios = 47 (tras+trp)

That's all you need. Those voltages are safe for 24/7 also. Let the machine cycle a few times and it'll boot with that. Set all those manually please except the bottom left section. Those will be auto set.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all. Owner of Z390 Aorus Master/9900k (stock). Having a bit of a mare with my PC not being able to boot into Windows after a BSO mid Destiny 2. PC was built 2 months ago and has been running perfectly until Sunday last week. After lots of testing (RAM/SSD) both Intel and Gigabyte reps told me I needed isolate if its the MOBO or CPU that is the issue so that I don't have to send back both items. I do not know anybody who has an 8th or 9th gen CPU that I could drop into my machine to isolate it so i contacted a local PC shop who does and have asked them to take a look at it and ensure that they test my build with an alternate CPU. They have had it since yesterday and seem to have repeated most of the tests that I have carried out but have yet to try an alternate CPU. The shop called this morning and said he noticed something odd about the build in that only one 8 pin CPU power cable is connected despite the board having space for two. Now I was under the impression that the second cable is only needed for extreme overclocking scenarios so I told him this but also offered to take the second cable into him as my PSU (Corsair RM850x) has the second cable. I have my 8 pin connected into what is the right hand slot of the two sockets. Firstly am I correct in my assumption that only one is required to power everything and secondly does it matter if the 8 pin is connected to the left or right socket?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Hi all. Owner of Z390 Aorus Master/9900k (stock). Having a bit of a mare with my PC not being able to boot into Windows after a BSO mid Destiny 2. PC was built 2 months ago and has been running perfectly until Sunday last week. After lots of testing (RAM/SSD) both Intel and Gigabyte reps told me I needed isolate if its the MOBO or CPU that is the issue so that I don't have to send back both items. I do not know anybody who has an 8th or 9th gen CPU that I could drop into my machine to isolate it so i contacted a local PC shop who does and have asked them to take a look at it and ensure that they test my build with an alternate CPU. They have had it since yesterday and seem to have repeated most of the tests that I have carried out but have yet to try an alternate CPU. The shop called this morning and said he noticed something odd about the build in that only one 8 pin CPU power cable is connected despite the board having space for two. Now I was under the impression that the second cable is only needed for extreme overclocking scenarios so I told him this but also offered to take the second cable into him as my PSU (Corsair RM850x) has the second cable. I have my 8 pin connected into what is the right hand slot of the two sockets. Firstly am I correct in my assumption that only one is required to power everything and secondly does it matter if the 8 pin is connected to the left or right socket?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You don't need both 8 pins connected Like you said only on LN2 would you need that much power. Hope you get it sorted. Nothing worse than chasing a problem like that.

Soldato
I've just updated one of my bios to F10 on my Master. This is the very latest with the new layout. Took a few minutes to find everything again. As much as the old bios layout was all over the place I had got used to it. This one is more like my old MSI bios. Seems ok so far, although I haven't been able to tighten some memory timing without the ram speed dropping from 3600 to 3200. I'll have to have a tinker tomorrow. Maybe mine just doesn't overclock memory that well. XMP is 3600 16-16-16-36 G-Skill Trident Z B-Die. Buildzoid was getting well beyond 4200mhz. I can just hit 4000mhz but the timings are so loose it scores far lower than XMP on geek bench. So settled for 3600 and tightened some timings but its not having it now.

Man of Honour
I have updated to F11 on my Pro and I must say that Gigabyte has made major progress on the bios layout and it's actually quite decent now. I haven't done any overclocking yet but set the XMP profile for my memory and turned on MCE so all cores boost to 4.6Ghz and everything works perfectly. I will have a go at clocking soon.

One stupid thing they have done though is put the bios mouse speed in the boot options folder. It took me ages to find it. Why is there even a choice in the first place? Just stick it to 4x and be done with it. Anything slower is just painful to use.

Associate
I have updated to F11 on my Pro and I must say that Gigabyte has made major progress on the bios layout and it's actually quite decent now. I haven't done any overclocking yet but set the XMP profile for my memory and turned on MCE so all cores boost to 4.6Ghz and everything works perfectly. I will have a go at clocking soon.

One stupid thing they have done though is put the bios mouse speed in the boot options folder. It took me ages to find it. Why is there even a choice in the first place? Just stick it to 4x and be done with it. Anything slower is just painful to use.

So are you running stable 3866mhz with just 2 sticks on the new bios?

Associate
I've just built a new pc using a Z390 Aorus pro and I'm having issues with the pcie x16 slot. From bios it is detecting the gpu in the slot but it is only running at x1. I've searched all through the bios if theres any settings to configure it, tried it without the m.2 in. Reseated the gpu multiple times, even holding it in and forcing it in to make sure everything should be making connections in the slot and no matter what I do it doesnt change to x16. Tried the card in the x8 slot below and that works fine. I've even gone as far as getting a new board and im still having the same issues. Any ideas?

Specs:
Z390 aorus pro f10 bios
9900kf at stock speed.
32gb trident z rgb 3000mhz
gigabyte aorus 2080 super.

Edit: Just tried the card in a friends motherboard and its working perfectly fine at x16. Also just tried my old 970 in the x16 slot on my board and it's still running at x1 but its downclocking from 3.0 to 1.1 and back up when the load changes.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's supposed to change as the load increases. At idle my GTX 1070 is sitting at pci-e 1.1 16x and when loaded jumps to pci-e 3.0 16x. Download GPU-z from Techpowerup and it will tell you what speed the card is at for that moment. If you click on the ? next to the bus speed box it opens a GPU render test box and you should see the card jump to PCI-e 3.0 16x. I can't remember if there is a setting in the bios for this now. I could look but my bios layout is different to yours as F11 massively improves the bios layout.

Associate
I've used gpuz and it says the same thing that the bios does which is pcie x16 3.0 @ x1 3.0. no matter the load it it always stays running at x1 3.0.

Man of Honour
What cpu cooler are you using? If it's the bolt down type then overtightening has been known to cause some strange behaviour such as memory and pci-e slots not working. Loosening the cooler mounting bolts/screws a little has usually fixed things. It's worth trying if you have that type of cpu cooler.

Associate
Im using the nzxt kraken v62. I've just tested to see if it was the cooler and backed it way out, still getting the same issue. Inspected the socket and cpu again everything seems to be fine. Also tried removing ram and testing each stick to see if that would be causing issues and its still the same. The only thing I can think of now is that something is wrong with the cpu.

Associate
Dragging this thread up from last year.
I am having to upgrade my PC, so I have chosen a Z390 chipset for my next motherboard, as I need to Stay Intel for my CPU water block.
Is the price difference between the Pro and the Master worth it? What do you get that justifies the price?
Main use will be for VR gaming,

I tend to keep my PC, once built, for a long time, unless it goes belly up like my last one did.

Associate
Just ordered a Master. Lower VRM temperatures seem like a good idea for longevity of the board.
I did notice in some reviews that gaming performance was poor. I assume this has been sorted with BIOS updates?

Associate
So with a decent VRM cooler already on the board, is there any benefit in fitting the EK monoblock into the cooling loop on my new Master? I don’t really see the point, as my exhaust fan has been flipped to blow air directly onto the VRM.

Back
Top Bottom