Z390- ASUS- Gene PCB breakdown

Associate
I ordered on this deal too.

Not sure how you got on but i got an email next day saying the order had been cancelled due to the seller pricing it wrong?!

ordered another one from another supplier now :)

Associate
Interesting to see how your single 8 pin does vs dual 8/ 8+4 pin since in theory voltage is split more evenly etc

Every board vendor, recommending changing thermal pads , still need to track down Asus pad details but I know they all should be 2 w/km and under (super cheap stuff)
I swapped the pads on my formula. It was fine before the swap but i wasn't oc a 9900k then. I should have done before and after tests. :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
I swapped the pads on my formula. It was fine before the swap but i wasn't oc a 9900k then. I should have done before and after tests. :rolleyes:

I have thermals images of z390 ones, trust me in saying pad swap would help with board sensors getting lower temps. Though heatsink will get hot. Wouldn't run AVX on the 9900k, so far after 2 hours only Aorus Master, Meg and Xtreme , Foemula under water doesn't fail after 2 hours

Associate
I have thermals images of z390 ones, trust me in saying pad swap would help with board sensors getting lower temps. Though heatsink will get hot. Wouldn't run AVX on the 9900k, so far after 2 hours only Aorus Master, Meg and Xtreme , Foemula under water doesn't fail after 2 hours
Well i'm using decent pads and the vrms are under water so the only limit should be my loop.

I'm not running an AVX load at the moment anyway, but that may change.

Associate

Have you run any tests with better pads on the Hero or others to see if the VRM heatsinks are able to deal with the heat more effectively?

Soldato
OP
Have you run any tests with better pads on the Hero or others to see if the VRM heatsinks are able to deal with the heat more effectively?

I did it with my Strix z270 way back when along with Strix 1070c , dropped 10c as well as having fan right next to the heatsink from case design, managed to push 5.2ghz on the 7600k :D
. Did it on z370 gigabyte itx and went from 116c to 90c running stress tests haha, but the heatsink got so hot !
And that was pumping 1.44v at 5.1 haha

Anything to lower VRM Temps no matter the amount should increase the products life span :) all win win and a nice little mod adventure

Associate
I did it with my Strix z270 way back when along with Strix 1070c , dropped 10c as well as having fan right next to the heatsink from case design, managed to push 5.2ghz on the 7600k :D
. Did it on z370 gigabyte itx and went from 116c to 90c running stress tests haha, but the heatsink got so hot !
And that was pumping 1.44v at 5.1 haha

Anything to lower VRM Temps no matter the amount should increase the products life span :) all win win and a nice little mod adventure
Every little helps. I swapped the pads on my 1080 ti when i put the block on so I've used what was left over of the pads i bought for that for the VRMs.
The quicker the heat is transferred to the loop the better. And it was a fun little mod adventure, like you say. :)

Mobster
Soldato
I ordered on this deal too.

Not sure how you got on but i got an email next day saying the order had been cancelled due to the seller pricing it wrong?!

ordered another one from another supplier now :)

Mine was £259 with rainforest themselves, my order is intact with Nov - Dec date but no exact date yet

Associate
Code has arrived - good looking board v heavy despite no back plate.

Have to wait for cpu and memory delivery (i sold my 8086) before I can drop a hot take.

That said still shocked no drivers on USB - bin the stickers coaster and cd and stick everything on a super cheap memory stick!

Associate
Nope. But the thing is thick as **** anyway. Literally no way this guy is bending. Would just be asthetic at this point.
The Formula is the same, which makes sense if you assume they are identical outside of cosmetics and cooling. I took all the cladding off to replace pads and get a look at the VRMs and it was still built like a tank.

The Code still has a heatsink or heatpads on the back tho, by the cpu slot, right?

On the formula the area has heatpads that are connected to the large backplate, I thought the Code had an L shaped covering to dissipate the heat there?

Soldato
OP
amount of heat at the back of these board (all z390 boards) is quite hot, specially if they are using doublers , which half the time is mounted at the back and explains the heatsinks :)

wonder if we'll start to see a change in case design to get airflow to the back side of boards

Back
Top Bottom