Z390 ITX /M-ATX boards, any good ones? 9900K

Soldato
you are using the Z390M gaming Edge AC?
want to buy the Board too, but had some concerns that the VRM will be throttling the 9900k

good 40 more then Gigabyte matx , less vrm but wifi is a nice touch .

its funny watching videos of the xtreme and master running without heatsinks , think Gene can do this too

Soldato
Sounds like you got a result. Glad the MSI worked out for you. Assassins Creed Odyssey offsets the costs vs the Gigabyte, plus you get the better board features. I guess Gigabyte spent the budget on the VRM and had to skimp elsewhere, which is a shame. They could have had a killer mATX.

Last edited:
Associate
Any updates on how the MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC is going, just nabbed one to build my wife a new system and hoping it's a reasonably solid good quality piece of hardware that will last in a gaming/work rig with an i7 8700 for a good few years to come.

Associate
OP
The board is really stable lovely piece of kit, no VRM issues at all and things laid out reasonably well to allow me to pull out NVME SSD.

Having some issues with my CPU staying at max frequency 24/7. Did a factory reset on my BIOS, low/balanced power mode in Windows 10 and still no luck.

I stripped out a lot of stuff from Windows 10 so gonna try a fresh install to a spare SSD I have lying around to see if that fixes my issue.

Associate
how can you say you have no VRM issues if the CPU doesnt hold the clockspeed?
about how much speed do we talk here? its just the normal stock speeds or any overclock?

Associate
OP
how can you say you have no VRM issues if the CPU doesnt hold the clockspeed?
about how much speed do we talk here? its just the normal stock speeds or any overclock?

I think you misunderstand it holds the clocks perfectly, rather than stepping down to lower clocks as expected when not in use. A fresh windows install fixed this issue though.

Soldato
The board is really stable lovely piece of kit, no VRM issues at all and things laid out reasonably well to allow me to pull out NVME SSD.

Having some issues with my CPU staying at max frequency 24/7. Did a factory reset on my BIOS, low/balanced power mode in Windows 10 and still no luck.

I stripped out a lot of stuff from Windows 10 so gonna try a fresh install to a spare SSD I have lying around to see if that fixes my issue.

Aorus if you want to run 5ghz 24/7 with avx instruction set . Gaming wise , all vendor boarfd should be able to do 5ghz all core gaming just fine .

Associate
@ rIcK any HWiNFO64 readings for vrm / mobo temps when loaded? Do you need a fan blowing over the vrm heatsinks to keep them cool?

Also how is boot time? MSI can be slow with boot time or at least my X399 MEG is.

Associate
With my 9700K running a 30 minute stress test the VRM is 55.5°C in HWInfo.

Boot time is fast, no slower than my previous ASUS board.

Interesting, is that stock cpu? what are the volts and load cpu clocks and what was the HWiNFO64 cpu package power draw under load. I just cancelled the 8700 and changed it to a 9700K. I can't seem to find any real info on the vrm for the MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC ......I really hope it's up to that task to run a 9700K with a slight overclock for 4 to 5 years down the track.

Soldato
Interesting, is that stock cpu? what are the volts and load cpu clocks and what was the HWiNFO64 cpu package power draw under load. I just cancelled the 8700 and changed it to a 9700K. I can't seem to find any real info on the vrm for the MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC ......I really hope it's up to that task to run a 9700K with a slight overclock for 4 to 5 years down the track.

Should be fine, only if your running 24/7 at 5ghz or AVX then most board should be fine or not throttle when gaming

Soldato
Sorry, meant to say it was stock, so all core drops to 4.6 at stays there for the duration of the stress test. Volts fluctuate a little but max at 1.24V, power also fluctuates a little 92-97W. I had a play setting manual ratios and power levels but for day-to-day use stock works great for me. The VRM is 8+1+1 phases (with the 8 doubled from 4). I would say the board is a good balanced match for the 9700K.

Associate
Hope you don’t mind me jumping on your thread however I have the same question and seemed silly to start a similar thread.

I am also looking for a mATX for the i9-9900k

Must have 4 dim slots, 2 M.2 slots and good for overclocking, so a decent bios. I will be attempting 5ghz

So which one for me?

Seem that the Asrock is out. In one video the MSI was chosen in another the Gigabyte (however I fear the reviewer was bias). Then there is Asus, some about said Gene but it’s very expensive. What about the Asus Tuff?

Re gigabyte, I have a x99m and have never loved their bios and even though it’s been updates apparently it’s not much better:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
in another the Gigabyte (however I fear the reviewer was bias)
if you're insinuating about the buildzoid video, then i'm afraid you're mistaken.
all buildzoid cares about is the VRM quality, possibly to the detriment of other components on a mobo, but at least he acknowleges that
and TBH, i'd take his words over all of the asus-spnsored shills err...reviewers on youtube

Associate
if you're insinuating about the buildzoid video, then i'm afraid you're mistaken.
all buildzoid cares about is the VRM quality, possibly to the detriment of other components on a mobo, but at least he acknowleges that
and TBH, i'd take his words over all of the asus-spnsored shills err...reviewers on youtube
Agreed saw the other Asus video and that guy works for Asus.

I hear what your saying but to the uninitiated, like me, he did seem very Gigabyte biased

Back
Top Bottom