1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z390 ITX /M-ATX boards, any good ones? 9900K

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by rIcK, Nov 14, 2018.

1. IT Troll

Wise Guy

Pricey. I see they picture it in a system alongside an RTX 2080 Ti to establish the tier.

2. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

british made - or least designed . complete overkill to be honest! could of pegged it down a tier or two .

guessing if your streaming at the top end of the pack, sound could be a factor in perfect stream quality or systems used that public have access to - so they will buy it

3. fureya07

Associate

Just fyi, Gigabyte sound card is garbage. Can't make it work properly with windows 10. Everytime i reboot PC i have to restart it again to stop crackling noise from the speakers. Super annoying.....

I might return it and go for MSI. Especially that PCI layout on Gigabyte , if i add sound card i loose airflow to GPU

4. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

which gigabyte board ? they have basic audio - seen Windows 10 has been a cause of sound issue with latest version that was touched on the US forums .

not sure if gigabyte rep @GIGA-Man has come across the issue

5. fureya07

Associate

gigabyte z390 m gaming

This is really weird one.

start my PC normally - crackling during the music
    If i restart pc (restart not shutdown/power on) it works like charm without issues.
    If u put it in the sleep and wake up => crackling.

So seems like it works properly only after restart from the windows

6. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

7. fureya07

Associate

Tried both. First i started with original one mentioned by you. Couldn't fix it so i did fresh install and went with the one pulled by windows. Same bahavior.

If i plug speakers into external usb sound card everything works fine.

8. varkanoid

Sgarrista

Just thinking about getting that board as having weird stability problems with my Z370N Wifi ITX. (I think issue is motherboard related this).

Anyway I have same problem with my Wireless USB headphones. Start PC normally and sound crackles through headphones yet plays fine through monitor which is via GPU card. Restart PC then its fine.
    Doesnt do it always just random.

Z390 uses ALC892, Z370N uses ALC1220

although just flashed my bios with latest which mentions stability and perfomance issue fixes. Although via USB and not touching sound card suggests its not that.

9. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

@varkanoid , z390 I Aorus , z370N and Z390m are very different boards.

Aorus I uses updated ALC1220 TO z370n

Aorus ATX have DAC USB which run on isolated pathways which i'm guessing would help your USB headset a lot but is much larger then ITX/mATX

10. IT Troll

Wise Guy

You would still have a one slot gap between the GPU and a sound card. That is as good as it gets with mATX; they only have four slots after all.

The symptoms you described are pretty weird. Have you tried booting to another O/S; e.g. Linux live media? This might help determine if it is a software or hardware issue.

11. varkanoid

Sgarrista

Thanks but I Wasnt talking about Aorus or comparing motherboards just the same sounding issue, which may point to something else other than motherboard/onboard sound. Thats all.
    I need ITX or mATX due to my case. Think I might buy the Z390 M.

12. Noxia

Soldato

I don't understand VRMS nor do I have the energy to learn this so I rely on you good folk for my info. Are we saying for iTX that this board is the best in terms of OC'ing?
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...1151-ddr4-mini-itx-motherboard-mb-57f-gi.html

I may not even overclock but I like to have the option to do so. Has to be itx. Its a shame about the price as I feel I'm paying extra for gaudy rgb I wont use.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 9:47 AM
  13. tamzzy

Soldato

https://www.overclock.net/forum/27657582-post2156.html#/topics/1638955?page=216&gid=1&pid=1

asrock itx is the better one in terms of VRMs

14. Noxia

Soldato

15. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

5x 60a = 300amps asrock ( extra 60amps would help with 9900k at 5ghz)
    6x 40a = 240amps aorus (perfect for 9700k at 5.2ghz if your lucky)

heatsink should help the ASrock but and seems Memory channel isn't as good .

m.2 will get a bit toasty with it linked to the vrm heatsink =/

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...gaming-itx-ac-motherboard-preview/index3.html

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8...-gaming-itx-ac-motherboard-review/index6.html

aorus can run 4400hz but with 9900k at 5ghz you'll need a top down cooler

https://translate.google.com/transl...d-gigabyte-z390i-aorus-pro-wi-fi/&prev=search

getting an ITX and 9900ks, get a top down cooler like bequiets 220w unit!!!

16. varkanoid

Sgarrista

Bought the Z390 M Gaming and its a great motherboard. My PC is now stable again. Although my Kraken X62 seems to have died in the process. Wish I had gone mATX instead of being attracted to ITX last year.