Z390 ITX /M-ATX boards, any good ones? 9900K

Man of Honour
I hear what your saying but to the uninitiated, like me, he did seem very Gigabyte biased
you need to see buildzoid's other videos then.
the reason why gigabyte gets most of the recommendations (at least for the z390 boards) is because, their hardware is honestly head and shoulders above the rest.
gb's bios may not be well polished, but it's usable

Soldato
if I did not know better I would have said he worked for Gigabyte

He grilled Gigabyte before with z370 motherboards.
Believe he was one of the first to spot misclaims of VRM miscount /PR stunt .

I believe Gigabyte is now morneopen and provide the PCB shots of the Xtreme and Master as well as some boards for him now. They know it's make or break and he has massive sway, so many Aorus VRM reviews are out, one of the harder boards to now buy .

@tamzzy mentioned a lot of under Asus.

Oc3D always did VRM reviews and destroyed Gigabytes z370 Aorus boards... Both versions and even went and attacked OCUK media for doing Gigabyte bundle.

Yet this time haven't done VRM tests on z390 Aorus boards. Even MSI which is surprising

And Gamersnexus/buildzoid do publicly say gigabyte needs to update the BIOS to be more user friendly

Soldato
Must have 4 dim slots, 2 M.2 slots and good for overclocking, so a decent bios. I will be attempting 5ghz

So which one for me?

Seem that the Asrock is out. In one video the MSI was chosen in another the Gigabyte (however I fear the reviewer was bias). Then there is Asus, some about said Gene but it’s very expensive. What about the Asus Tuff?
There is not a great deal of choice for mATX. Gene has the best combination of VRM and features but is expensive and only has 2 DIMMs and 2 PCI. After that Gigabyte has the next best VRM but is lacking some other board features. The MSI Edge doesn’t quite have the VRM of the Gigabtye but has better board features and so is a more rounded package. Then you have boards like the Asus Tuf/Prime and MSI Mortar which I wouldn’t even consider for a 9900K. IMO it is a choice of three.

Associate
There is not a great deal of choice for mATX. Gene has the best combination of VRM and features but is expensive and only has 2 DIMMs and 2 PCI. After that Gigabyte has the next best VRM but is lacking some other board features. The MSI Edge doesn’t quite have the VRM of the Gigabtye but has better board features and so is a more rounded package. Then you have boards like the Asus Tuf/Prime and MSI Mortar which I wouldn’t even consider for a 9900K. IMO it is a choice of three.
Great reply thanks, so for me a choice of 2 as I feel the Asus is overpriced

Associate
OP
Someone asked for some VRM temps, here is my MSI Z390M - 5ghz 9900k at 1.29v after some Prime95.

Running Noctua fans basically as slow as they will spin, RTX 2080Ti kicking out heat into my case and a Noctua NH D15. You cannot really see in my case, but hopefully gives some ideas.

case.jpg

temp1.jpg

temp2.jpg

temp3.jpg

Man of Honour
Someone asked for some VRM temps, here is my MSI Z390M - 5ghz 9900k at 1.29v after some Prime95.
Your MOSFETs are 66c after (only) 2 mins, if I see it correctly. Could you perhaps run prime for say 30mins and record the mosfet temps please?

Associate
OP
@rIcK

I thought the Noctua D15 blocked the first pcie 16 slot on this mobo…..that's what Noctua compatibility checker says anyway.

I guess not, fits in mine have use of both PCI-E slots. The memory is a little tight and I had to move the fan up slightly but other than that it all fits fine.

Your MOSFETs are 66c after (only) 2 mins, if I see it correctly. Could you perhaps run prime for say 30mins and record the mosfet temps please?

I cannot do 30 mins, but 10 mins it is completely stable in temps, do bear in mind this is basically silent with barely any fan movement.

mos.jpg

Associate
MOSFETs are at 82C that's pretty toasty, if I were you with that board and cpu I'd just run it stock with that cooler.....if you really have to overclock it to 5GHz then I'd be going custom water loop for the cpu and have a fan blowing over the vrm heatsink sink to keep the vrm cooler.

Associate
OP
MOSFETs are at 82C that's pretty toasty, if I were you with that board and cpu I'd just run it stock with that cooler.....if you really have to overclock it to 5GHz then I'd be going custom water loop for the cpu and have a fan blowing over the vrm heatsink sink to keep the vrm cooler.

82C is completely fine given the circumstances, who runs prime95 24/7 with low fan speeds? That is a completely unrealistic workload, real world it barely goes above 60C even during my heavy usage. Adding some more fan RPM would fix any issues if they were to come up.

Soldato

Remember days when if you hadn't run prime for 2 hours couldn't brag :D

Any board should run 24 hours , good gahyye and rest have all messed up at one point . Expect all vendors to have their game sorted for x570 .
Gigabyte have no excuse to mimic z390 exactly and Asus and ASRock need to follow the rest . MSI just needs to hold the line steady from z390 and B450 .

MSI and Gigabyte... Asus should should be taking notes otherwise they'll suffer fate of Gigabyte . And only way they managed to sort their act was the very turn their structure meaning z170/270 was done by half a team under no guidence , no direction . Hope Asus doesn't suffer the same as means layoffs at the end of the day

Soldato
Running Noctua fans basically as slow as they will spin
It looks like the fans are spinning up to 1200-1400 RPM which is the maximum speed (or close to).

After a 30 minute stress test the max core temp of my stock 9700K is 67°C, VRM is 55.5°C, fans are running at just 770 RPM and around 34 dB.

For light desktop activities, the cores sit at 35°C, fans run at 190 RPM and around 32 dB.

Caporegime
Absolutely. rIcK has his running at 5 GHz. Have you decided on a board now you have pulled the trigger on a CPU?

I bought the Asrock Z390 EXTREME4 INTEL Z390 (SOCKET 1151) DDR4 ATX MOTHERBOARD and I'm hoping its going to be solid enough. Seems to offer a lot of bang for the buck

Z390 Extreme4
  • Supports 9th and 8th Gen Intel® Core™ processors (Socket 1151)
  • Digital PWM, 12 Power Phase
  • Supports DDR4 4300+(OC)
  • 3 PCIe 3.0 x16, 3 PCIe 3.0 x1, 1 M.2 (Key E) For WiFi
  • NVIDIA® Quad SLI™, AMD 3-Way CrossFireX™
  • Graphics Output Options : HDMI, D-Sub, DisplayPort
  • 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec)
  • Supports Purity Sound™ 4 & DTS Connect
  • 8 SATA3, 2 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3)
  • 2 USB 3.1 Gen2 10Gb/s (1 Type-A + 1 Type-C)
  • 9 USB 3.1 Gen1 (1 Front Type-C, 4 Front Type-A, 4 Rear)
  • Intel® Gigabit LAN
  • ASRock Polychrome SYNC

I found a midi case that fit under my Desk shelf and fitted ATX mobos.

inhX13q.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom