Z390 ITX /M-ATX boards, any good ones? 9900K

Associate
OP
To add to this been very happy with my motherboard, the game code makes it a little bit cheaper if you sell it. Run 24/7 at 5ghz with no throttling.

Associate
To add to this been very happy with my motherboard, the game code makes it a little bit cheaper if you sell it. Run 24/7 at 5ghz with no throttling.
Thanks for all your input @rIcK

I was looking to create a setup with 9900k and I decided to go with mATX MSI as well. It's hard to find any review for this and your screens helped me to make a call.

A lot of people praising Gigabyte for their 10+2 VRM section. And guess what? MSI has the same one. Took me a while to find it xD http://www.coolpc.com.tw/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=252499&

I hope I'll enjoy mine as you do enjoy yours!

coolpc-mpg-z370-gaming-edge-ac-16.jpg

Associate

I was looking to create a setup with 9900k and I decided to go with mATX MSI as well. It's hard to find any review for this and your screens helped me to make a call.

A lot of people praising Gigabyte for their 10+2 VRM section. And guess what? MSI has the same one. Took me a while to find it xD http://www.coolpc.com.tw/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=252499&

Hello reddit user and welcome to the forums :D

Glad you found the info you were looking for! Make sure you get plenty of airflow in that case if you are going to be mainly rendering with it and enjoy your new pc.

Edit - that board looks like standard ATX to me, not mATX.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, it seems like I was wrong :p I'm trying to figure how many phases mATX version has. On one of youtube videos, I did a snapshot of the back.

Looks to me like it has 4+1 vs 5+1 it has on ATX which is bummer

Sadly no proper reviews on the WHOOOOLE internet :(

vjte6rkpyuc21.png

Associate
Here is a link to a list of boards and their phase counts and vrm info.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/lga-1151-mainboard-vrm-liste-1175784.html

Scroll down to look at the z390 details. It is in german but google translate should be able to fix that if needed.

There is also a thread on overclock.net which is english but the entire site is down for me at the moment.

Have you considered the asus z390 gene? It only has two RAM slots so depending on your memory requirements that may rule it out for you, but it has very solid VRMs.

Associate
Yeah, I've been there. They list MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC from which is my first screen for ATX. They don't have mATX version listed. And if i compare backplate between MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC and MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC i think it has one phase less. But it's just me guessing by number of dots :)

I looked briefly at that Asus and it's not enough for me to justify the price. It's almost 3 times what I would have to pay for gigabyte.

Associate
Yeah, I've been there. They list MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC from which is my first screen for ATX. They don't have mATX version listed. And if i compare backplate between MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC and MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC i think it has one phase less. But it's just me guessing by number of dots :)

I looked briefly at that Asus and it's not enough for me to justify the price. It's almost 3 times what I would have to pay for gigabyte.

There are 18 completed builds that I can see on the part picker website (which i cant link to here) that use that board. You may find helpful info there if you havent had a chance to look there yet.

While i doubt you'll find your answer you can get some extra details from people using it in their own builds.

Soldato

That's one of their middle tier Mobo, gigabyte does it on entry boards, Aorus entry (gigabyte middle tier ) is 12+1

Associate
The MSI Z390M is 8+1+1 (with the 8 doubled from 4). Of the mATX boards it has the best balance of features and performance. The Gigabyte Z390M has better VRM but is worse for other board features (audio, WiFi, USB).
Yeah...and it has the looks :D Since I'm not planning to do any OC I think I'll go with MSI. Do some testing on 24 hours continuous load which is not uncommon for me and i guess we will see :)

Soldato
Yeah...and it has the looks :D Since I'm not planning to do any OC I think I'll go with MSI. Do some testing on 24 hours continuous load which is not uncommon for me and i guess we will see :)

Long as it's not avx workloads as it'll fail .
Aorus 12+1 is only one that can run MCE enable 24/7 avx instructions .
Anything else , any other board should handle .
Been asking MSI for their plans if no Brexit deal happens since board is fixed NL but they have office in Birmingham , still no solid word. Hopefully gets them to follow Gigabyte as Asus to pull back fixing g in the UK

Soldato
The Gigabyte is a solid board and was a close second choice for me. The audio was important to me though and so I went with the MSI (I really don't care how it looks). Cost was about the same once I sold the free game.

Associate
Audio is important for me as well. I don't get the game code. So if I'll buy Gigabyte I have better vrm + I'll buy an external sound card which will be better than the one on the motherboard and I total about 10$ more expensive which is nothing :)

Back
Top Bottom