*** Zelda: Breath of the Wild ***

Associate

Gee thanks, you've been very helpful. It appears that the base game costs £50... no wait, over £300 just to play. Argos seems to have exactly the same listings as the website I tried first, i.e. no WiiU version.

Forget about it, I've ordered on Amazon for £40.

For folks wondering which version to get (assuming you own a WiiU currently), ask yourself the following: would you rather pay £300+ or £40?

Soldato
The US art is lovely, prefer it myself though the eu one is just as good just they seem completely different in theme, dark and gritty or super fun nintendo nice! Either is a win. I do regret selling the wii u last year now. I was holdon g on to if it for zelda but just assumed i would be sold on the new console and get it there. However now we have seen it, prices and all i wont be getting one, atleast until it has more games and a better price! Hope you all enjoy this though, i will play it one day!

Soldato
Gee thanks, you've been very helpful. It appears that the base game costs £50... no wait, over £300 just to play. Argos seems to have exactly the same listings as the website I tried first, i.e. no WiiU version.

Forget about it, I've ordered on Amazon for £40.

For folks wondering which version to get (assuming you own a WiiU currently), ask yourself the following: would you rather pay £300+ or £40?

Sorry copied the wrong link, it was £40 on Argos also.

I've ordered both versions.

Soldato
OP

£300 as I get a nice new portable console which I'll be playing for the next 3 years as a minimum, plus the Wii U version is reported to run like a bit of a dog.

Let's be frank, I'm going to buy a Switch at some point, okay there might be a bundle with a game in 6 months or the price might have dropped to £250 from £280 but I'd rather enjoy it from the 3rd March rather than arguing over what in reality isn't a huge amount of money.

Soldato
Got two special editions on order, would like to get the master edition from the US if I can. Will obviously get it on Wii U as well to add to the collection, dunno if I'll ever play it on Wii U though.

Soldato
£300 as I get a nice new portable console which I'll be playing for the next 3 years as a minimum, plus the Wii U version is reported to run like a bit of a dog.

That's the kick in the teeth right there. Hey guys, we know you've been waiting for this on the WiiU for a silly no. of years and we kept promising it was coming, but we've got a new console coming out with no good games and need to port it to that. You can still get the not so good version, but you'll need to cough up for the one that runs well :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
That's the kick in the teeth right there. Hey guys, we know you've been waiting for this on the WiiU for a silly no. of years and we kept promising it was coming, but we've got a new console coming out with no good games and need to port it to that. You can still get the not so good version, but you'll need to cough up for the one that runs well :rolleyes:

Yeah is a shame, loyalty is rarely rewarded. There have a been a number of great games for the Wii U, if you like first party Nintendo stuff.

Personally I wouldn't buy a console for what is coming but what is available (or nailed on for the near future) and I know we have Zelda in March and MK8 in April. That's why I skipped the PS4 at launch.

Soldato
I've ordered the Wii U version - I'm ok with a few frame rate dips here and there - I can live with that.

Not into Switch at launch - disappointing, poor release line-up is what's put me off. I may dip later in the Spring or Summer when a) there's some games and b) there might be some bundle deals.

Soldato
OP
How open do you think BotW will be? One of the things I love about Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4 is ability to just go off and explore and have your own adventure.

Previous Zelda games have always felt very linear to me.

Soldato

They were. It's going to be interesting seeing how well Nintendo do. I don't think it will be as open as the games you mention - i'm imagining it to be a much expanded Hyrule Field that still follows a familiar hub and spoke layout. It'd be nice to be wrong. One thing's for sure - the combat looks a whole lot nicer this time round. Faster, more varied. It could be great :)

Soldato
Id prefer it if the Zelda games weren't so explicit in telling you what you had to do at every stage of the game.

They are supposed to be adventure games where you go and explore and figure it out for yourself. Not get told step by step where you need to go and who you need to speak to etc. One thing that's always bugged me with Zelda.

Soldato
OP
looks to be quite open world but im wondering if the 'zones' they showed will be restrictive to what level you are.

I don't mind there being some restrictions, Fallout 4 let you go anywhere but if you went to an area you shouldn't you'd be mullered in about 10 seconds anyway.

Even GTA Vice City confined you to one side of the map and only opened the bridges when you had progressed the story to a certain point.

Man of Honour
How open do you think BotW will be? One of the things I love about Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4 is ability to just go off and explore and have your own adventure.

Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds are very good indicators for this game, with the latter being completely open to complete in (almost) any order.

Soldato
So how do we think this is going to fit into the entire Zelda timeline?

The trailer references being told about what happened 100 years ago and the tree says something about him not recognising him. Is that the Great Deku Tree from OoT? Is this going to follow on from OoT/MM?

Anyone any ideas?

Associate

Let's be frank, I'm going to buy a Switch at some point, okay there might be a bundle with a game in 6 months or the price might have dropped to £250 from £280 but I'd rather enjoy it from the 3rd March rather than arguing over what in reality isn't a huge amount of money.

Fair enough. Funny thing is that I can afford the £300, but I don't feel it's justified as I don't see myself using a Switch that much this year. Thus I'd rather wait for things to settle down, more games to release and Nintendo to really sort their **** out. I'm not paying for online when they haven't proven to us that their online is worth paying for. And I'm certainly not going to let them fleece me on peripherals.

Most of all there's no bundle deals. I felt I got fleeced on a WiiU, but at least I got it in a bundle with a game (I'd go on to play hundreds of hours of) and Pro Controller, half a year after launch. If Nintendo can do the same on Switch, with a Switch exclusive game I'd really want (Monster Hunter/Metroid/Pokemon), then I'll buy it. Zelda isn't really an exclusive since it's still on WiiU.

Maybe the Switch will be like the 3DS launch. Initially rocky, but then they do a price drop and it rockets in popularity and support. Plus I'd rather have a fully red Nintendo Switch. I don't want to buy one only to later find out that they release different colour ones down the line. Patience is a virtue. And I'd doubt that the WiiU version would be so unplayable. If it's anything like Windwaker HD, it'll be great.

Man of Honour
As I mentioned in another thread, open world looks good but to me what's good about a zelda is avoiding the 'follow a straight forward path' room to room to room thing. It's much better when there are a tonne of rooms to explore and you have to explore them one by one until you can progress a bit. Forrest temple and water temple in OoT were like this. Also the ice dungeon in both a link to the past and a link between worlds.

Not sure the rpg elements (I.e crafting / cooking) will add much... I remember how they were a nuisance with GTA San Andreas. It's better to just stick with the core gameplay and collect hearts tbh.

Back
Top Bottom