• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Associate
Just done some testing. It still makes the noise with a different GPU, both CPU fans disconnected, and all 3 case fans disconnected. So it must be the PSU or motherboard I guess. I don't have a spare PSU to test but will do when I'm putting together the wife's new rig. Sadly that probably won't happen until next week.

Annoying! Coil whine on the motherboard or PSU then perhaps? Not a lot you can do about that, except chuck everything in a sound proofed case. :(

Soldato
Been messing around with ram timings went from xmp 3200 to 3533 made a huge difference in tomb raider benchmark

lpB2foB.png

Also Improved my Cinebench Score from 5090 to 5139

UlkiEkg.jpg

Going to try to lower the timings or try 3600

Associate
Been messing around with ram timings went from xmp 3200 to 3533 made a huge difference in tomb raider benchmark

lpB2foB.png

UlkiEkg.jpg

So it does make a diff. Most reviewers are using 3600 CL16. Seems like tight timing still a thing in Gen 2.

TrM

TrM

Associate
So it does make a diff. Most reviewers are using 3600 CL16. Seems like tight timing still a thing in Gen 2.

im wondering if it would also make such a impact on a 3900x i have corsair vengence pro 32000 cl16 and they really dont like to oc at all tbh and considering some 3600mhz ones to replace them

Associate
im wondering if it would also make such a impact on a 3900x i have corsair vengence pro 32000 cl16 and they really dont like to oc at all tbh and considering some 3600mhz ones to replace them

In GEN 1+ the diff between 3533 CL 14 and CL 16 is . . .

https://imgur.com/zcniBc9

The CL16 just equals a 3266 MHz CL14 DOCP setting. Although, its just a couple of tests but the cinebench run says a lot.

Associate
Interesting read here: https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3492-ryzen-cpu-thermals-matter-coolers-and-cases

Looks like it could be CPU temp holding back boost clocks, ideal load temp is <55C. Would take a custom loop to keep the 3900x that cool, my air cooler gives about 70C load temp which may be why the highest boost I've seen on is only 4.4Ghz. Also explains why lowering vCore may help if it's a case of finding the optimal balance between voltage and temps.

Associate
Interesting read here: https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3492-ryzen-cpu-thermals-matter-coolers-and-cases

Looks like it could be CPU temp holding back boost clocks, ideal load temp is <55C. Would take a custom loop to keep the 3900x that cool, my air cooler gives about 70C load temp which may be why the highest boost I've seen on is only 4.4Ghz. Also explains why lowering vCore may help if it's a case of finding the optimal balance between voltage and temps.

Its like back in the Phenom days.

Permabanned

<55C is completely unrealistic even on a custom loop.

Associate

no one is going to see <55 unless on phase change or ln2

Associate

Shame he didn't test single thread work loads. Yeah 55C is low but my guess is people with good water setups will be seeing better boosts than those on air like me. Previously I figured so long as load temps stayed under 80C all was good.

Could still be related to AGESA 1.0.0.3AB, hopefully next update will boost single cores a little more aggressively. To be honest i'm fine with current performance but it bugs me that not seeing 4.6Ghz as advertised.

Associate

lpB2foB.png

UlkiEkg.jpg

Is that score 4.3Ghz all cores?

Also is 1.44v okay for daily B Die voltage? Cant find a definite answer. Some say up to 1.5v, others keep it below 1.4v

Associate
Currently Stress testing my cpu using realbench (almost 1 hour) @ 4.3ghz 1.35v temps are 87c custom watercooled.
Toasty.

That's why I dropped my 3900x 4.3Ghz all core overclock. Could get through cinebench without going over 82c but a 1 hour stress would see it spike over 90c at which point i'd get crashes. I'm just running a twin tower air cooler though.

Soldato
Is that score 4.3Ghz all cores?

Also is 1.44v okay for daily B Die voltage? Cant find a definite answer. Some say up to 1.5v, others keep it below 1.4v

yes 4.3Ghz all core. and yes 1.45V on ram is fine for 24/7 use. Even Corsair sells 4500Mhz ram which are 1.45V

Soldato
My 3700X System keeps turning off randomly... keyboard and mouse have no power and screens go off, yet case fans and cpu fan all continue to run... think my old (from 2010 ish) 700w 80+ bronze PSU might not be up to the task but ive tried chipset drivers and bios reset... so far its only been in game (playing The Division 2), no event logs to check as it appears to be a power loss, hence i think its my old PSU... my PSU has 2 +12v rails, both max out at 30a... as the EDC on the 3700X in Ryzen Master can hit 90A and ive seen it do just that while in game.. would you agree its time for a new PSU or is there something else i could look at... the power failures are random, i can be gaming for 30 minutes or 2 hours before it has happened, CPU temps around 65c at the time of failure. It only started two nights ago, the night before ran with no issue.

I even enabled PBO at one point, all set to auto, nothing else, booted and ran Cinebench 2.0 and got an extra 200 points in multi and saw my CPU Peek had gone to 4335mhz where as pre PBO it only hit 4275mhz... i was able to play The Division 2 for a good hour at teat setting before another power loss.

Soldato
Toasty.

That's why I dropped my 3900x 4.3Ghz all core overclock. Could get through cinebench without going over 82c but a 1 hour stress would see it spike over 90c at which point i'd get crashes. I'm just running a twin tower air cooler though.

Shrinking to 7nm means it'll get more hotter. it doesnt get that hot when gaming around 65C

Soldato
my 3600 has died on me. Booted it and it is stuck on the vga light, not to confident in the durability of zen 2, I was not even overclocking. Hope ocuk have quick rma process.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom