• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 3D V-Cache Ryzen CPUs May be Available in December 2021

Soldato
Those ddr5 capable boards possibly with pcie5 and the memory itself aren't going to be cheap and they'll look like terrible value within 12-24 months after release I'd guess. The upcoming ryzen and some fast ddr4 will give a fair bit of headroom over current consoles. Not sure the move to early adoption on Intel will be worth it and I favour neither company.

Soldato
Please AMD just release an updated Threadripper CPU already. I've been waiting for it for ages. It is the only part in your line up that is still Zen 2 on the desktop.

Soldato
Those ddr5 capable boards possibly with pcie5 and the memory itself aren't going to be cheap and they'll look like terrible value within 12-24 months after release I'd guess. The upcoming ryzen and some fast ddr4 will give a fair bit of headroom over current consoles. Not sure the move to early adoption on Intel will be worth it and I favour neither company.

Outside of chunky APU’s, work stations or situations that require a boatload of memory across a limited number of slots. I don’t see much need for DDR5 desktops yet.

Soldato
Please AMD just release an updated Threadripper CPU already. I've been waiting for it for ages. It is the only part in your line up that is still Zen 2 on the desktop.

I honestly think Threadripper is getting squeezed between the WFH and EPYC demand. Probably a little from the RTX Ampere CPU requirement too.

Soldato
I honestly think Threadripper is getting squeezed between the WFH and EPYC demand. Probably a little from the RTX Ampere CPU requirement too.

You are probably right but I still find it frustrating. At least I can't buy anything until October even if I wanted to and by that time it seems daft not to wait for the next AMD CPU event to see if they do update it then. December / January would be fine for me.

Caporegime
OP
You are probably right but I still find it frustrating. At least I can't buy anything until October even if I wanted to and by that time it seems daft not to wait for the next AMD CPU event to see if they do update it then. December / January would be fine for me.

November apparently.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8061...x-64-cores-on-zen-3-coming-in-2021/index.html
I doubt the 3D v-cache will offer 25% over zen 3, it will probably be more like 5-10% but I guess thats still a decent bump over Zen 2 when you add it on to the 20% or so that zen 3 already has.

15% on average in games according to AMD.

Soldato
Too little too late
If you live in bizarro world, maybe.

So Alder Lake paper launches around October and best-case benchmarks has it besting Zen 3 by about 10%. Couple months later AMD refine their existing Zen 3 with a 15% (from what's been shown so far) uplift. AMD are then set to release Zen 4 before Raptor Lake.

If retaining performance leadership with refining an existing arch is "too little" then I dread to think what AMD will do when they put a bit of effort in. And "too late"? Releasing actual products before their competitor (who still has a performance deficit) hits volume is hardly "too late".

Are you done trolling now? Go sit in the corner with 4K8K, the adults would like to have a conversation.

Soldato
alderlake be 10% faster than zen3 using half the cores. thats impressive.

I imagine you saying that like a pirate.

How did you manage to get off my ignore list anyway.

Ponte Vecchio might be 10% faster than Zen3 with half the cores.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only 24 threads though vs 32 and 8 of those are from small cores so still a decent result if the benchmarks are accurate.

What you also have to remember is while the 12900K will still have a thread deficit against the 5950X the CPUs that most people actually buy like the 5600X and 5800X will have less threads than their Intel counterparts which should have 16 for the 12600k and 20 for the 12700K so the performance gap should be much wider in Intels favour.

Last edited:
Soldato
Price gap should be bigger too as intel now offering good value for money. Intel may end up taking the performance and the price crown this time.
Either way its gonna get exciting again in the world of cpus.

Back
Top Bottom