• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 3D V-Cache Ryzen CPUs May be Available in December 2021

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Couldn't be bothered to wait for this.

I kind of have a need now. Purchased a 5600x.

Busy gaming season is about to start with plenty of games coming out from Sep onwards plus atm I still have not found a stable ram overclock since introducing the 3080. (I been persevering since Jan)

I finally decided I was going to replace the ram with plug and play ram and thought by the time I am going to take off my cpu cooler might as well do a small cpu upgrade too.

I have another pc that needs an upgrade anyway for windows 11 as its still running a 3570k so I will move the 3700x to that and eventually give it too my parents.
Which games? Only one I see interesting is Dying Light 2.

Soldato
Which games? Only one I see interesting is Dying Light 2.

The one you mentioned, Far Cry 6, Elden Ring, BF2042, Death Loop & War Hammer 3.

(Diablo 2 remaster)

I'm still yet to play Cyber Punk 2077.

Isn't Atomic heart due out soon too?

Must be more. So for me it looks like Sep until Elden Ring in Jan is going to be busy.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The one you mentioned, Far Cry 6, Elden Ring, BF2042, Death Loop War Hammer 3.

(Diablo 2 remaster)

I'm still yet to play Cyber Punk 2077.

Isn't Atomic heart due out soon too?

Must be more. So for me it looks like Sep until Elden Ring in Jan is going to be busy.
From that list only one I am interested in is Atomic Heart and who knows when that will come out. Elden Ring I will wait for the reviews. Far Cry 6 looks like same old crap. Only thing I like is the lead actor.

Soldato
From that list only one I am interested in is Atomic Heart and who knows when that will come out. Elden Ring I will wait for the reviews. Far Cry 6 looks like same old crap. Only thing I like is the lead actor.

I also haven't play the new RE game. Haven't done much gaming at all last few months due to PC in loft and the summer.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I also haven't play the new RE game. Haven't done much gaming at all last few months due to PC in loft and the summer.
What summer? Been low 20’s for ages. This year has got to be the worst summer in recent history.

Worth play RE Village for sure. I may replay RE 3 again soon. Don’t know why but I kind of fancy playing it.

Soldato
What summer? Been low 20’s for ages. This year has got to be the worst summer in recent history.

Worth play RE Village for sure. I may replay RE 3 again soon. Don’t know why but I kind of fancy playing it.

Just hope I don't regret going for a 6 core over an 8. YouTube reviews shows there is little difference in games between the 5600x and 5800x and this is meant to be a cheap upgrade as I don't really need it so using my brains this time rather than my heart.

My other logic is that I would probably keep a 5600x just as long as a 5800x before it got upgraded anyway... knowing what we are like on here.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just hope I don't regret going for a 6 core over an 8. YouTube reviews shows there is little difference in games between the 5600x and 5800x and this is meant to be a cheap upgrade as I don't really need it so using my brains this time rather than my heart.

My other logic is that I would probably keep a 5600x just as long as a 5800x before it got upgraded anyway... knowing what we are like on here.
Should be fine. Don’t let the “you need minimum 8 cores” crowd get to you. Good thing is when upgrade time comes along it will be easier to justify.

How long would you like/expect it to last? For me as a 4K gamer I recon this CPU will last a long time, minimum 5 years before I feel the urge to upgrade. But it all depends on what kind of tech that comes out, might get the itch earlier, who knows.

Soldato
Lol average 10 core systems? Maybe in 10 years time.

The average system today is 4-6 physical cores, and even HT isn't likely to be guaranteed, thanks to years of i5s without it.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/cpus/

And if you want to upgrade that 6 core? LOL The highest selling chips over the last 4-5 years have been 6-8 cores. Looking at the current stacks of chips they average 10 cores. Workloads are massively multi threaded. So…

Don
And if you want to upgrade that 6 core?
Given that I imagine quite a few of those 6 cores will be the old socket 1366 6 core xeons, then upgrading to a recent Intel or AMD 6 core would still be a very viable option given the substantial IPC increase.

LOL The highest selling chips over the last 4-5 years have been 6-8 cores.
No they haven't - in the normal "non enthusiast" market 4 cores will still be king.

Looking at the current stacks of chips they average 10 cores.
Just because 10 cores is the "average" of the current stack, doesn't mean that is where the volume sales are. Volume sales are still going to be 6 core parts (e.g. 3600 is still selling well) and 8 core parts.

Workloads are massively multi threaded. So…
What workloads? Facebook and youtube?

Soldato
Given that I imagine quite a few of those 6 cores will be the old socket 1366 6 core xeons, then upgrading to a recent Intel or AMD 6 core would still be a very viable option given the substantial IPC increase.

No they haven't - in the normal "non enthusiast" market 4 cores will still be king.

Just because 10 cores is the "average" of the current stack, doesn't mean that is where the volume sales are. Volume sales are still going to be 6 core parts (e.g. 3600 is still selling well) and 8 core parts.

What workloads? Facebook and youtube?

You’re clearly out of touch.

Caporegime
OP
Steam Hardware survey is never an accurate indication for anything let alone what CPU are selling the most, the survey is by request, you have to chose to take part in it when asked and i haven't been asked since i own the 5800X, i was asked once in the 2 years i owned the 3600.
Its also a measure of what people own, not what they are buying.
According to the survey 4 physical core CPU's are down this month, from 38.76% to 36.99%, 6 physical core CPU are up from 31.11% to 34.09% and 8 physical core CPU are also up from 13.06% to 14.04%

So according to Steam 4 core CPU ownership is in decline while 6 and 8 core CPU ownership is growing, so much in fact that if the growth of 6 cores CPU's keep up like it is it will overtake 4 core CPU's at the end of this month.

Laptop's and OEM desktops these days are more and more 6 core CPU's, mainly the 10400 and equivalent Ryzen CPU's
In the DIY space 6 core Ryzen's have been the #1 best sellers on the worlds largest E-Tailer solidly for about 3 years at this point with 8 core CPU's at or near #2.

I don't think the average is 10, i think its 6.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/cpus/

4 of the 12 CPU's here are 6 cores, 5 are 8 core. not one 4 core.

nBm32DM.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Most of the Steam charts are probably made up of Chinese Internet cafe systems, and formerly banned accounts. Plus dads old work laptop.

Anyway if you look at the current product stacks it’s 10 cores average. Intel’s next stack is coming with increased core counts and AMD look to be adding another 8,12 and 16 core part.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely it's not just a question of cores but more the compute power of the chip.

If tomorrow a new CPU architecture is released that only has 2 cores but these two cores are faster than a 5950x for half the price that would constitute progress.

I doubt games would care too much of that cpu had 2 or 20 cores as long as the FPS are high enough and consistent enough.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Surely it's not just a question of cores but more the compute power of the chip.

If tomorrow a new CPU architecture is released that only has 2 cores but these two cores are faster than a 5950x for half the price that would constitute progress.

I doubt games would care too much of that cpu had 2 or 20 cores as long as the FPS are high enough and consistent enough.
Yep. Many don't get this though and talk out their rear saying you NEED 8 cores.

Soldato

It would need to be a hell of a pair of cores to out perform 16 and it would probably impossible to manufacture. The industry has gone the parallel route and we aren’t turning back.

Back
Top Bottom